PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Marseille

JTobias
8th Jul 2010, 18:29
Chaps,

I'm flying in a Cirrus on Monday to Marseilles and wondered if anyone has been in there fixed wing or rotary. (Yes I know this is a chopper forum, but I've posted in the private flying section too and need advice from anyone that might have been!)

I've made contact with a handling agent but someone has suggested I don't need one and therefore could save lots of €EUROS.

Anyone know ?

Joel:ok:

finalchecksplease
8th Jul 2010, 20:04
Pretty sure Eurocopter would pick up the tab if you bought one or a couple of their aircraft. There were a few sitting around last time I passed thru so maybe you can even get a BOGOF deal :E

Does it need to be LFML or would LFMA (Aix Les Milles) do, not very far away? You can find a lot of info on the SIA website (PM me if requirerd).

Have a great trip, :ok:

Finalchecksplease

Oogle
9th Jul 2010, 08:25
I do this trip every year in a helicopter. You may have more range than I have.

My stop off (re-fuel) points are LFOH (Le Havre), LFQG (Nevers) and then LFML (Marseille). No ground handling agents required anywhere at these airports. LFOH fuel accepts the UV Air card but the others I have to pay by Visa.

Landing fees are about 15 euros at LFOH, 5 euros at LFQG and about 20 euros per day for parking at Marseille.

For parking at Marseille, just call General Aviation +33 4 42 14 25 00 to organise parking. There is a small terminal there and they are very helpful.

I did get ramp checked by the Police last time I flew in there (a couple of months ago) so have all the paperwork with you (CofR, CofA, licence, medical, etc). Very nice blokes though.

Enjoy.

JTobias
9th Jul 2010, 09:08
Cheers team

Thanks for the replies.

One final thing, any suggestions on VFR routing. There's a fair bit of Class A around Paris and as I'm going Fixed Wing this time just wondering whether to avoid or it request SVFR ?

Joel :ok:

HeliComparator
9th Jul 2010, 13:00
I've done the trip from LFML to UK many times, we normally go to west of Paris to avoid the hassle, refuelling in Tours (though that could be quite a long way off track, depending on where you are coming from in UK). This westerly route is much more pleasant for scenery, but of course you do have to get over the Massif Centrale which, from the North is very gradually ascending terrain, ending up at over 5000'. So you can start off with it being a lovely day with clouds 4000' above you, but gradually ending up with cloud touching ground, which is never a nice thing! I learnt about flying from that on the only time I did the trip from UK to LFML since our alternate was also the other side of the mountains - I now know its best to have an alternate on the departure side of the mountains!

Going East of Paris is normally the shortest route from E UK, possibly refuelling at Dijon, and no mountains to get over, however the Rhone valley is rather dull and if you stray into a nuclear power station zone (of which there are a lot in the Rhone valley) you will be intercepted and arrested!

LFML has a lot of VFR reporting points (these being different for helis and planks) but as fcp says there is good information on the SIA website SIA - La référence en information aéronautique (http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/default_uk.htm). I would also agree that LFMA would be a better choice for general aviation unless you need IFR approach and/or the facilities of an international airport.

HC

delta3
9th Jul 2010, 14:03
Hi I' am flying in the region the whole month.
LFML is GA friendly. Just landed there yesterday.

Has a separate GA terminal.
Call them if you want to know more about parking spots and fees.
Tel : +33 442 14 25 00
email: [email protected]

LFML has indeed many VFR points you need to prepare.
Take the pdf from the French SIA, they are very useful and for free.

d3

JTobias
9th Jul 2010, 19:55
Hi Guys

Thanks for the updates.
I', visiting Eurocopter on the LFML Airfield so we want to fly there. Hopefully we won't need the ILS !!

I've downloaded the info from the SIA site too.

Thanks a bunch. My expedition will be blogged about in the usual place when I return.

Joel :ok:

PlasticCabDriver
9th Jul 2010, 21:56
I wouldn't fly round Marseille. Every time I fly there the engines repeatedly fail or go wrong, catch fire, the tail rotor fails, the hyds fail, the whole aircraft falls to bits.

Avoid it like the plague...