PDA

View Full Version : Jet aircraft over Windermere/Coniston

sunnybunny
8th Jul 2010, 16:28
Today I was sitting in a pub in Coniston when 3 jet fighters flew over low, it looked like a Typhoon, Meteor and Hawk. Also seen a Tucano and Apache very low at about 50'!

Anyone know why, I understand there is an airshow later in the month, were they practicing?

Similarly on monday we were going over the pass from Windermere to Keswick and were 'bounced' by a Typhoon about 200' up with what looked like afterburner going.

Great stuff!:D:D

ZOOKER
8th Jul 2010, 16:47
"Today, I was sitting in a pub in Coniston"
Bearing in mind that most Lake District inns have relatively small windows, I take it you were located adjacent to one of them, in order to observe all this activity.
Don't know about the air-show. but most Lake District valleys, (including Dunmail Raise), are flowed south to north for military low-flying.
How many pints of Jennings had you consumed? :}

sunnybunny
8th Jul 2010, 20:22
I was in the Black Bull so it was Bluebird XB and I was sitting outside (2 pints ;) Jennings doesn't do it for me, sorry).

The trio flew over Coniston at relativley high level (just in/out cloud) northbound and then low level southbound at fairly low level.

The apache was over lakeside halt at windermere at tree top height and the tucano at about 100' by grasmere.

Added a certain something to the holiday, certainly the typhoon made mother in law wee herself ..... :O

Capt.Doughnut
9th Jul 2010, 12:30
Miltary aircraft regularly fly low level over that area.

I was in the Black Bull so it was Bluebird XB

Outstanding choice of venue and ale!!

Capt.D

Sonorguy
9th Jul 2010, 15:08
Leave the bottled stuff alone though as it's brewed in Reading now...

leader12uk
9th Jul 2010, 16:03
It was a photo sortie from BAE Warton- there is a photo thread on UKAR about it.

sunnybunny
9th Jul 2010, 18:58
Many thanks for the information