View Full Version : Outlook Web Access Email to Blackberry

homesick rae
8th Jul 2010, 11:08
Hi There,

Trying to convert my work emails to blackberry (T Mobile). Have tried using the OWA through the internet and it logs in with the details provided yet using the T Mobile Blackberry instant mail website it keeps throwing up errors regarding "wrong url" "account validation"....the information is 100% correct as it works using the internet.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

HR

mixture
8th Jul 2010, 13:25
Hang on.....

You've got Microsoft Exchange
You've got a Blackberry

Why OWA ???

If you don't want to spent the $$$ on BES, try BPS.

Mike-Bracknell
8th Jul 2010, 22:20
Hang on.....

You've got Microsoft Exchange
You've got a Blackberry

Why OWA ???

If you don't want to spent the $$$ on BES, try BPS.

Probably because RIM are incredibly late on delivering SBS2008 versions of BES/BPS? and haven't even considered Exchange2010?

BIS should be sufficient, although BlackBerries are my LEAST favourite smartphone. Every other device does ActiveSync in a relatively proper way (save for Apple*), yet RIM persevere with reinventing the wheel and charging for it.

(*iPhone and iPod touch: Troubleshooting Exchange ActiveSync 'Push' issues (http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1868) - read "solution" 2 :ugh:)

Incidentally, to the OP, I have several BB BIS users and know the config isn't always "obvious".

I don't have a crib-sheet of a proper BIS config to work from, but items to check are:

1) If you're not prompted for a separate 'domain' in the config, are you then prefixing your username thus: domain\username

2) Are you using the "https://" prefix and "/exchange" or "/owa" suffix to the server address? or are you just quoting the server address?

There are a few more, and a certain amount of it depends upon whether your OWA is actually set up properly as well. It would also help to know whether you're using Exchange 2003, 2007 or 2010 for OWA?

Cheers,
Mike.

mixture
9th Jul 2010, 06:40
Probably because RIM are incredibly late on delivering SBS2008 versions of BES/BPS?

Wouldn't know, I don't touch SBS with a bargepole after many sleepless nights of frustration with it in the past, its a false economy IMHO. Multiple eggs, single basket.

and haven't even considered Exchange2010?

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Enterprise Server support for Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 (http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/server/exchange/2010support.jsp)

BlackBerry® Enterprise Server v5.0 with Service Pack 1 and Maintenance Release 1 is now fully certified with Microsoft® Exchange 2010 and BlackBerry® Technical Support Services are readily available.

All existing BlackBerry Enterprise Server customers running v5.0 are eligible for this maintenance release at no cost.

Mike-Bracknell
9th Jul 2010, 08:48
Wouldn't know, I don't touch SBS with a bargepole after many sleepless nights of frustration with it in the past, its a false economy IMHO. Multiple eggs, single basket.

Try selling a multi-server solution to an SME, and see what looks you get as you quote them for hardware, licensing, and CALs for each part. You won't be walking out the door with a PO.

Anyway, I virtualise all my SBS servers, providing much better recoverability and alleviating the DR/BCP issues somewhat.

mixture
9th Jul 2010, 10:46
Try selling a multi-server solution to an SME, and see what looks you get as you quote them for hardware, licensing, and CALs for each part. You won't be walking out the door with a PO.

I tend to follow the internationally recognised definition of an SME being 1-250 users...... quite a broad spectrum to tarnish with your SBS brush. :cool:

It would appear your experience is with the micro end of the market.

Irrespective of the size of the entity, also depends what your target vertical is. For a tiny hedge fund office, the cost of a basic (not OTT) multi-server solution is pocket money compared to what they'd loose through inability to close their deals during a market rally. Believe me, if you put SBS in there and it hindered them ..... they would no longer be your client, you wouldn't even have a chance to come in and fix it.

spannersatcx
9th Jul 2010, 11:14
why not just set your work email to fwd to your blackberry email account that's what I did, until I got fed up with it!

Mike-Bracknell
9th Jul 2010, 12:07
I tend to follow the internationally recognised definition of an SME being 1-250 users...... quite a broad spectrum to tarnish with your SBS brush.
If only such a concept really existed.
Small and medium enterprises - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_and_medium_enterprises)

Irrespective of the size of the entity, also depends what your target vertical is. For a tiny hedge fund office, the cost of a basic (not OTT) multi-server solution is pocket money compared to what they'd loose through inability to close their deals during a market rally. Believe me, if you put SBS in there and it hindered them ..... they would no longer be your client, you wouldn't even have a chance to come in and fix it.

My complaint was mainly about RIM not providing timely SBS versions of their products, specifically "coming soon" still showing on SBS2008 2 years after it's release when they should have had a product ready for RTM. It's that issue they should fix I was pointing out, rather than any questions of suitability of SBS for SMEs. Of course if you have a hedge fund you're not going to sell them SBS :rolleyes: but then again i'd hope they'd not use crappy BlackBerries either to do their deals :)

mixture
9th Jul 2010, 13:41
Of course if you have a hedge fund you're not going to sell them SBS but then again i'd hope they'd not use crappy BlackBerries either to do their deals

Happy to say Blackberries are primarily used by traders to throw at people when they have a tantrum.... :cool:

homesick rae
9th Jul 2010, 18:11
Jeez! Tantrums galore!