PDA

View Full Version : A new wannabe, wants (your) help!

El khoury
8th Jul 2010, 08:54
Hello...

First of all, i've been on this forum for like 2 years now, but this is prolly the first time that i actually write a thread that concerns me and my future, and am really glad to be a part of it, especially now, because everything has started get real for me, i want to join you guys in the aviation world!

i'm sure this has been done before, a wannabe that has a lot and a lot of questions , who is kinda lost on where to do his professional training etc... but i really need the help of the experts here.

I want to be a pilot, and i want to get the best training and knowledge, but i don't know where to do my training, europe or U.S?

I'm from lebanon (middle-east), so i sure need a visa to get to any country and start my training, but not all schools train foreign students with a student visa.

Anw, when it comes to the U.S, i'm thinking of the following flight training academy:" Delta connection academy ". Aviation Flight Schools ? Delta Connection Academy ? Flight School, Flight Training for Pilots (http://www.deltaconnectionacademy.com/home.aspx)

any idea about that flight school? anyone has any experience in that school? does it provide a good training? any idea about the prices? what kind of licenses does it provied? i was checking the website, and it is said that it doesn't provide the Airline Transport Pilot course, and it's a course that i run into whenever i start searching about aviation, especially in Europe....any info would be appreciated.

And do you recommend a flight school better than Delta academy? i've read good stuff about Flight safety...

Now, in Europe: i want you ti give your opinion about the following flight schools:

Belgian flight school (flight academy Belgium): Ecole de pilotage avion en belgique : Belgian Flight School - Charleroi - Namur - Liège - Genk (http://www.ecoledepilotage.be/)

Ben Air Flight Academy: BAFA - Ben Air Flight Academy nv (http://www.bafa.be/en)

In United Kingdom:
Atlantic flight training: Atlantic Flight Training - Who we are (http://www.flyaft.com/who.html)

i was searching, and the schools in france and U.K are too expensive, unless if i missed any good schools with good prices.

Now i have some concerns about training in U.S.A. They do not offer ATPL, any idea why not? i was checking some airlines here in the middle east, and they require in order to enter their crew, they require to have the ATPL (frozen) , and MCC ... why are these courses not available in the U.S (delta acadamt to be specific)... and there's a thing called jet transition course i guess, what is it for?

So in general, what is the dfference between training in Europe and training in the U.S... and which is better? and why would some people train in U.S.A and then convert their FAA to JAA?

I'm sorry for taking too much of (your) time, but i really need (your) help... waiting for your replies =)

Thank you! =)

El khoury
8th Jul 2010, 15:28
i would really appreciate it if anyone could answer my questions and enlighten me... because time is running fast, and i have to start applying to flight schools real soon!

Thank you =)

Whirlygig
8th Jul 2010, 15:43
You are 21. We are in a global economic recession. Trust me, time is not running out.

Spend some more time doing research for yourself.

Cheers

Whirls

B2N2
8th Jul 2010, 19:38
I'll take the challenge Whirly.

El, there are quite a few differences between the European system and the US system.
Just a simplified explanation;
Since most countries are ICAO member states they must meet ICAO regulations as far as licensing is concerned.
So both JAA (Europe) and FAA (united States) require 1500 flight hours for the ATPL.
A pilot career course in Europe would look like this (minor variations possible)

PPL
ATPL ground school (14 exams, generally takes 6-9 months of ground school)
CPL Single engine VFR only
Multi engine and Instrument rating

the fact that you hold a JAA CPL and have passed the 14 ATPL exams makes you hold what is called a "frozen ATPL".
It means you have met the academic requirements but not the flight time requirements.

The Airline will require the "frozen ATPL" and the MCC is a multi crew course where you learn how to work as a team.

In the US things work a little differently:

PPL
Instrument rating
Single & Multi Commercial + IR
A single ATP written test

A flight test required when you reach the 1500 hrs for the issuance of an ATP.
In the US they don't know the "frozen ATPL" construction, you either have the requirements or you don't. That simple.

If Delta Connection were to offer an ATP course it would look like this:
PPL
Instrument rating
Single & Multi engine Commercial + IR
1250 hrs of timebuilding

The total training package would cost something like $250,000:}

The intend is that you get a job after you get your CPL and work for those 1500 hrs not pay for them.

El khoury
8th Jul 2010, 23:41
@whirlygig… I thought that’s what I was actually doing, researching, and taking the advice of the experts in here, I mean no matter how you research, the opinion of people who are actually involved would be really helpful. Anw thanks for ur reply ;)

@B2N2… man, that really helped me figure out the whole U.S/europe systems difference. thank you.

But how could you possibly decide where to enroll? I mean I live in Lebanon, so it's kinda hard for me to go and check out the schools that i have in mind, so how am I supposed to pick the flight training school?

And based on what am i supposed to choose between Europe and U.S? other than price wise, which is not the problem here...

and does anyone have any idea about the flight schools that i mentioned?

thank you :)

kaptn
9th Jul 2010, 09:36
Depending on where you'd like to work is the first thing to think about before doing your training. If you are focused to work in the Middle East, then you can simply try some of the Pilot training schools in that region. You can try with the Jordanian flight academy, I think it is the best in the region. Now you can also train in the US and in Europe. You can have your ATPL in the US if you decide to train with :
-European Flight academy in Orlando
-Naples Air center
I think these 2 ones are recognized in the JAA countries.

You can also apply for both JAA & FAA licenses, some schools can proviede you with it. Normally the syllabus of obtaining the JAA licenses automatically gives you the requirements to pass any FAA licenses.

Good luck !
Hope that helps

Whirlygig
9th Jul 2010, 13:25
Depending on where you'd like to work is the first thing to think about before doing your training. "Like" to work has nothing to do with it - are enititled to work is more realistic. There's little point in getting a JAA licence if you're not entitled to work in Europe.

Cheers

Whirls