PDA

View Full Version : F3 airshow farewell?

Tom Laxey
7th Jul 2010, 18:41
With the Tornado F3's leaving service next year, is there to be an airshow display demo before they go?

When I asked this at an airshow recently, I heard there wasn't to be. Is this a sign of how un-loved the F3 is now that the fighter pilots have something newer & shinier to play with?

Thanks in advance

ICBM
7th Jul 2010, 21:45
I'm afraid not Tom, its more likely a direct reflection of the paucity of resources and priorities that 'Defence' has to balance; Afghanistan being the major one but with other commitments such as training.

If I had to show aircraft to the UK Taxpayer at an airshow, albeit with the constraints I mention above, the F3 would be the last on a list of our current fast jet types, given its imminent retirement.

Tom Laxey
7th Jul 2010, 22:06
Ok, thanks.

There was a 'swansong' demo from the Sea Harrier when it went out of service couple of years ago, which is sort of similar cirumstances, except the Sea Harrier might be considered more 'distinguished'.

I guess I just quite like seeing the display that Tornados put on at airshows! It's an unusual airshow display for a fighter these days.

NormanFerguson
8th Jul 2010, 12:28
Nothing like the displays of the past, as mentioned above, however at Leuchars airshow this year this listing has appeared.

Sunset Ceremony - Tornado F3 - 111(F) Squadron & Typhoon x2 - 6 Squadron - Symbolic Airborne Handover of QRA Duties -

Sunset ceremony usually saw a Tornado performing a fast and low pass followed by pull up to altitude. Something a bit like this cracking photograph by Mark McEwan. Fingers crossed for something similar this year.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/6/2/5/0669526.jpg

Geehovah
8th Jul 2010, 19:05
The aircraft and crews deserve a swansong. How long does a display work up take for goodness sake.

Go for it!!!

STANDTO
8th Jul 2010, 19:16
this is the first RAF aircraft I saw born, and die. It is particularly poignant for me, as I was virtually raised with the MRCA project at Warton, living just down the road in Thornton-Cleveleys. My parents became friendly with two MBB engineers, Horst and Saradindu, (anyone remember them?) who stayed with us on many occasions when they were over. Both of them used to bring me little corporate gifts - I still have my blue MBB tie with two tornados embroidered on, and from much later, the 'quadpartite' pin from the EFA collaboration.

I watched the MRCA work up on sortie after sortie, refuelling over the house even. There was rarely a day went by when an aircraft wasn't seen flashing across the sky. I even remember the evening when the ground shook, as the sound barrier was broken at sea level off Blackpool.

Many years later, I smiled one summers evening as a late departure from St Athan thundered down the runway and lifted into the dusk as I took a stroll after dinner from the mess. I watched them streak across the Lincolnshire sky, and after I left, bowl along the A66 as I headed east, and stack above Higher Bentham before going low level on an unseen route.

I will miss you Tonks. you had your faults, but you were an icon:sad:

Tom Laxey
8th Jul 2010, 19:25
I think we may have the GR4s for a while yet.

I can see that Typhoon is clearly a functional replacement of the F3, and an improvement in every respect (? Any areas where F3 will be missed ?)

Whereas the GR4 is the RAF's long-range strike platform of choice. However with a few surplus Typhoon's around, and budgets in need of cutting, is there a scenario where the GR4s would be out of service well before the nominal 2018+ time-frame?

Air shows won't be the same without a Tornado streaking by with wings swept-back!