PDA

View Full Version : Plane nosedives into tarmac after clipping hangar

Horatio Leafblower
6th Jul 2010, 12:14
Plane nosedives into tarmac after clipping hangar

From the ABC (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/07/06/2946381.htm)

A pilot has been taken to hospital with head injuries after a light plane crash in central western New South Wales.

The plane came down at Orange airport just before 6:00pm AEST.

Police superintendent David Driver says the plane clipped the top of a hangar and nose-dived, hitting the tarmac and skidding into a shed.

He says the 43-year-old pilot was able to free himself from the wreckage.

"It's still early stages of the investigation into the incident but the pilot did manage to get himself out of the aircraft and walked to a nearby hangar where he raised the alarm," he said.

"He did suffer some head injuries but he's been taken to Orange Base Hospital."

aileron_69
6th Jul 2010, 15:39
I'm guessing the image I am having of a nose-dive into the ground and a big mess resulting might be a bit exaggerated if the stick jockey was able to walk away. Dont ya just hate it when they put hangers right at the end of the runway when you're trying to take off!!:E

Chu Mai Huang
6th Jul 2010, 21:56
Police are on scene at Orange Airport after a light plane crashed as it came in to land injuring the pilot this evening.

About 5:45pm, police and emergency services were called to Orange Airport after an ‘airvan’ plane travelling from Parkes clipped the top of a hangar as it approached the airport from the south-west.:eek:

As a result of the collision the plane nose dived and impacted with the tarmac before skidding into a shed.

The pilot, a 43-year-old man, who was the sole occupant of the plane, was able to free himself from the wreck and walk to a nearby hangar (ummmmm, wasn't he already at a hangar??) where he was later treated by NSW Ambulance Paramedics.

He has been taken to Orange Base Hospital for treatment of head injuries.

A crime scene has been established with local detective’s enroute to the airport to conduct investigations into the crash.:yuk:

The Air Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) has also been notified about the incident and investigations into the matter are continuing.

KRUSTY 34
6th Jul 2010, 22:24
Why a crime scene? Was he fighting off a hijacker at the time? :confused:

maverick22
6th Jul 2010, 22:28
Why a crime scene? Was he fighting off a hijacker at the time?

hitting the tarmac and skidding into a shed

Maybe it's a break and enter:}

the wizard of auz
6th Jul 2010, 22:34
there certainly was a break element involved.

Super Cecil
6th Jul 2010, 23:46
Hoho Wiz, you do wonder what was going on.

The Green Goblin
6th Jul 2010, 23:55
Looks like those seats proved their worthiness. The hemorrhoids are worth it in the end. :}

VH-XXX
7th Jul 2010, 00:54
The Cynical side of me wondered why an aircraft was anywhere near the hangars based on the attached link:

orange airport, nsw, australia - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=orange+airport,+nsw,+australia&sll=37.09024,-95.712891&sspn=39.86519,92.724609&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Orange+Airport,+New+South+Wales,+Australia&ll=-33.382863,149.131637&spn=0.010285,0.022638&t=h&z=16)

The perils of NVFR in a ScareVan I guess :)

Douche
7th Jul 2010, 01:42
The perils of NVFR in a ScareVan I guess http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

You guessed wrong, it's not VFR.....

Douche

ReverseFlight
7th Jul 2010, 01:47
A crime scene has been established

Hope the pilot wasn't flying while intoxicated :}

White and Fluffy
7th Jul 2010, 02:12
Footage on TV shows the aircraft with tail in the air and very visible ripples and crumpled fuselage. Looks like it has come to a very sudden stop.

Aircraft was VH-YBH.

Is the taxi way that leads way from the hangers towards the grass strip an old runway?

VH-XXX
7th Jul 2010, 02:17
You guessed wrong, it's not VFR.....

Presumably then he was NVFR when he walked to the nearby hangar.

Maybe he didn't get the right QNH :\

maverick22
7th Jul 2010, 02:25
I might be seeing things but it did look a tad foggy on the news footage I just saw

Critical Reynolds No
7th Jul 2010, 04:55
Looks like a new shed.
ORANGE AIRPORT PLANE CRASH - Local News - News - General - Central Western Daily (http://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/news/local/news/general/orange-airport-plane-crash/1879089.aspx)

Baldnfat
7th Jul 2010, 05:15
Could not have been a bank run. They never put pilots under pressure to fly in low vis.

What's that darned oinking sound on my wing? :hmm:

VH-XXX
7th Jul 2010, 05:20
From the Central Western Daily - the link above.

I'm not a religeous man but JESUS, you'd have to say he was lucky. Almost looks like he stepped out where the wing used to be.

There could have been 8 people on there in theory!

The ATSB report will be interesting reading!

Must have been a Bendix King standard install GPS, that kind of result wouldn't happen with a non-precision Garmin 296 - 495 approach! The new hangar musn't have been in the terrain database.

http://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/multimedia/images/full/841101.jpg

das Uber Soldat
7th Jul 2010, 05:25
should buff out.

:E

propblast
7th Jul 2010, 05:27
I'm not a religeous man but JESUS, you'd have to say he was lucky.

There could have been 8 people on there in theory!

You can say that again. To walk away from it with just a crack on the head.

I'd heard a rumour that from the second row back just crumples in an airvan when it crashes, that pic tends to confirm it just a tad.

VH-XXX
7th Jul 2010, 05:49
You could cut that bent part of the fuse out and turn it into a 4 seater.

The Green Goblin
7th Jul 2010, 06:43
Probably a good pic for the circling approach thread after descending below MDA!

The Pilot looks pretty lucky to walk out of that one. We always used to say if you are going to spear one in, make sure it's the Airvan as you'll probably walk away. All the accidents so far tend to confirm it, with the couple of arse over tits in the Kimberley to this one.

Jabawocky
7th Jul 2010, 07:51
Airvan Salesman just ripped out his order pad and jumped in his car............

Aerozepplin
7th Jul 2010, 09:13
Looks like they stalled...

The Green Goblin
7th Jul 2010, 09:59
We need Planky for further clarification on that one :ok:

Aerozepplin
7th Jul 2010, 10:38
Someone had too...
But in all seriousness some of these accidents are stunning in their "closeness". From the look of the photo I assume the wing impacted one of those I beams, and I also assume the outcome wouldn't have been as good if it had been the cabin instead. Which is pretty much what VH-XXX said.

Reminds me of a well known accident in NZ where the instructor was killed but the student suffered reasonably minor injuries. Being in a 152 they were just about sharing a seat too.

HarleyD
7th Jul 2010, 11:09
I assume the wing impacted one of those I beams, and I also assume the outcome wouldn't have been as good if it had been the cabin instead.

Looks like someone is attempting to take up Planky's mantle.

Where is Remoac? we really need to know all the forensic details from a REAL armchair expert.

Any hoo, very glad to see the pilot got away with it without serious injuries, I bet he's glad it was a Scarevan!

HD

Aerozepplin
7th Jul 2010, 11:53
Not trying to diagnose! Just an observation that you see a lot of accidents like that where you can only think of how close it might have been. But then, I don't really know, I'm not a doctor.

PyroTek
8th Jul 2010, 01:27
The top of the fuselage has a strange resemblance to paper. Colour and all. Lucky pilot!

HarleyD
8th Jul 2010, 06:05
Hmmmmmmmmm

Nothing is new.......

SMALL AIRCRAFT CRASHES OUTSIDE ALLIANCE (Update) (http://www.doubleqcountry.com/artman/publish/article_7978.shtml)

TunaBum
8th Jul 2010, 06:32
Remoak reckons if you look at time of day...if visibility was reduced by fog rolling in the pilot would be left with limited options (ie alternatives) and may have lined up on on hangar instead of runway..................

:O

anyway good to be able to joke around a little with this one as no one killed or seriously injured - but seriously it will be interesting to find out what actually happened!!!

das Uber Soldat
8th Jul 2010, 10:11
"but seriously it will be interesting to find out what actually happened!!!"

I got emailed some rather interesting pictures myself today. Suffice to say I'm amazed he's ok.

Aerodynamisist
8th Jul 2010, 11:17
The old fly through the hangar trick -- the secret to it is you got to make sure the hangars is open at both ends first.
Been pretty foggy down that way lately.. Dam tough machine to take that sort of an impact and no post impact fire either. Will have to rethink my position on airvans always thought of them as a slow box.

dudduddud
8th Jul 2010, 11:59
It is highly unlikely that it was a stalling accident, the plane hit the hangar with such force that it blew the walls and roof off it.

alser
8th Jul 2010, 12:08
The Airvan is a slow box, but also a brilliant design. In terms of cockpit layout, visibility, loading, entry/exits, payload, handling and safety, it is light years ahead of the C206 it was designed to replace. It is a pleasure to fly, not a chore.

If one had to crash, it would be one of best machines to crash in.
Just a shame it's not Australian any more. :{

Aerozepplin
8th Jul 2010, 21:44
It is highly unlikely that it was a stalling accident, the plane hit the hangar with such force that it blew the walls and roof off it.

Have you considered that the turbulent airflow created by the stall could have been responsible for that?

Super Cecil
8th Jul 2010, 22:09

Have you considered that the turbulent airflow created by the stall have been responsible for that?

More likely was the exclamation from the pilot :}

pa60ops
8th Jul 2010, 22:25
Well, here in sunny YORG the AWIS can tell you the base often sits OVC001 to OVC002 for hours in the morn and evening...RNAV will get you slightly under 500 feet.....can some pass me my calculator???:uhoh:

BULLDOG 248
8th Jul 2010, 22:31
The last A/C I remember hitting a hanger was down Grovedale way doing a fly-by/beat-up????? Not saying this was a fly-by/beat-up!!!!!!!!

Baldnfat
8th Jul 2010, 23:57
As the pilot survived the accident we will probably never find out the truth about this one. Imagine having to pay out on the replacement of an airvan, the hanger, the damage to GA industries reputation, witnesses trauma compo etc. $$$$$$$$.$$? Sure makes not departing or diverting early in the first place cheap.:{:{:{

Diatryma
9th Jul 2010, 00:24
Quote:
Quote:
Have you considered that the turbulent airflow created by the stall have been responsible for that?
More likely was the exclamation from the pilot http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

I know you guys are taking the mick, but you do know the hangar he clipped is not the same one that he ended up sliding into (as pictured) don't you? :\

Di

dudduddud
9th Jul 2010, 03:43
Pure, unfounded speculation. Lets wait for the report, ok?

Critical Reynolds No
9th Jul 2010, 03:54
That's right, he slid into a shed, not a hanger, as reported.

Diatryma
9th Jul 2010, 05:09
Pure, unfounded speculation

Well its not actually, but you could not be expected to know that of course......

Lets wait for the report, ok?

OK - lets all hold our collective breaths and hope nothing similar happens while the report is thrown together.....should only take 12 months or so (assuming there will actually be an investigation???)

Di :O

Jabawocky
9th Jul 2010, 07:05
I am almost convinced Diatryma works for the ATSB or maybe the NSW Police guy who attends all the NSW aviation incidents.......he always has the scoop on these things......only pops up at moments like these!

So whatever he does, it would not surprise me if he happens to have been on the scene and actually does have a good insight into what was there.

Time will tell!

dudduddud
9th Jul 2010, 09:07
That's right, he slid into a shed, not a hanger, as reported.

blimmin journos, wouldnt know their arse from their elbow.

ForkTailedDrKiller
9th Jul 2010, 13:02
If all aircraft were fitted with the ForkCam and the ForkMount (TM) Mk4 (Patent Pending) we would know exactly what happened - or at least we would have some cool video to watch! :E

Dr :8

dudduddud
9th Jul 2010, 17:10
Yes but the guy would be totally... Forked.

Thanks everyone... The DVD is available in the foyer... I'll be here all week.