PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever tried this with DJ?

cavemanzk
5th Jul 2010, 21:20
Ive got a week long trip to SYD coming up again, so this time I though I would take a day trip to MEL on DJ.

The problem is with DJ you can't select your seats till 24hrs before hand, and you need printer access to use there OLCI. I'll be on NZ103 when the 24hr before hand mark hits.

Has anyone ever tired doing this? I arrive at 10.30am (NZ103) on the Monday & on Tuesday I depart at 7.45am on DJ 814 to MEL. I'm wondering can the Domestic Transfer Desk at SYD give the boarding passes on Monday? Then I would at least get a better attempt of getting a decent seat compared to just showing up on Tuesday.

psycho joe
5th Jul 2010, 23:12
Then I would at least get a better attempt of getting a decent seat compared to just showing up on Tuesday.

I must be missing something. If you take away the P.E. & exit row seats, which you pay extra for; That would leave around 160 odd seats that are exactly the same. :hmm:

Have DJ introduced a special "golden seat" to keep in theme with the "golden rivet". :E

Gnd Power
5th Jul 2010, 23:33
psycho joe,

yep you are missing something.

Sitting down the back with the kids, getting a middle seat, sitting in the row in front of the emergency exit (limited recline) certainly is not the same as getting a "good seat".

So whilst your "160 odd seats are exactly the same", they are not in the exactly the same position.

To cavemanzk, sorry I haven't tried what you want to do, not sure if it helps but I believe that Virgin Blue has "Check - Mate" booking for smart phone ticketing. Maybe that may be a solution.

Track5milefinal
6th Jul 2010, 00:03
Get the best seat you can get for the time being and when you check in ask if there's any spare exit row seats, more than often enough there will be a spare few and they wont charge you for it

Worth a try!:ok:

cavemanzk
6th Jul 2010, 01:12
Around 52 of the 160 normal seats are middle seats! if you turn up at 6am on Tuesday morning I guessing alot of the seats left will be middle seats.

Does the moblie check-in allow you to select a seat?

Thanks for the advice about the exit rows I shall try that.

Its amazing how comfortable you get with flying one airline & when it comes to flying another its like how do I get around this. I wish more airlines would introduce the same system NZ has for domestic flights, we are a bit spoiled by it over here.

VH-XXX
6th Jul 2010, 07:16
Arrrgghh. I just checked in 1.5 hours before my DJ flight Syd-Mel and there was nothing but aisles left!!!

Can you get someone else to check you in and then reprint the boarding pass, or get them to give you another one....

cavemanzk
6th Jul 2010, 07:52
Can you get someone else to check you in and then reprint the boarding pass, or get them to give you another one....

I was thinking of just check-in online and asking for replacement passes at the airport, do they mind? the website tires to make it very clear you have to print your own.

mcgrath50
6th Jul 2010, 07:59
I have only (legitimately) forgotten my pass with QF but I got to use the customer service/ticketing line (which was empty) and they handed me my boarding pass after checking some ID. Overall quicker and easier than printing or checking in at the airport.

But I wouldn't do it unless desperate, it was a bit worrying at the time!

sagan
6th Jul 2010, 09:14
I have genuinely forgotten my printed boarding pass and had no problem with DJ.
Just had to show photo ID and all done. Very helpful and easy.

OZBUSDRIVER
6th Jul 2010, 09:25
A couple of weeks ago. Travelling with DJ up to Brisvegas. Stuffed my online booking up trying to pay for checked baggage. Seats for selection were pretty well scattered all over the aircraft and more to the back. If I cannot get to the front I try and get the very last row so I can deplane promptly at BN. Had to ring up and change the fare over the phone and was not able to get an online boarding pass. Showed up at check in the next morning and...surprise..was offered an Exit row...Choice!:ok:

peuce
6th Jul 2010, 10:06
Come on all you tight arses ...

Buy an exit row seat when booking, like I do ...then you don't have to worry about when you check in, as you always have the top seat reserved.

Track5milefinal
6th Jul 2010, 10:35
Buy an exit row seat when booking

Why?? 9 times out of 10 when you ask at check in you get it for nothing!

Chances are there's not going to be 12 turkeys forking out an extra $40 on a 2 hour sector just to get a little more legroom:eek:

cavemanzk
6th Jul 2010, 19:37
Buy an exit row seat when booking, like I do ...then you don't have to worry about when you check in, as you always have the top seat reserved.Its not the legroom I'm after, I want a Window seat!

I could just buy an exit row, but then it would make my SYD-MEL-SYD day trip the same cost as my AKL-SYD-AKL.
AKL-SYD RTN on NZ $280NZ
SYD-MEL RTN (With Exit Row) $280NZ

DJ call them self an New World Airline, yet they don't allow you to advance seat select strange. Look at NZ they will give you a domestic boarding pass up to 330days before hand!

b_sta
6th Jul 2010, 21:17
Look, I like looking out the window as much as the next pilot, but SYD-MEL is barely over an hour... surely you can occupy yourself for that long if you ask but don't manage to get a window seat?

VH-XXX
7th Jul 2010, 00:56
I must have a red flag on my name in their system. I always seem to get the back row by default these days.

peuce
7th Jul 2010, 02:07
Perhaps you've fudged your date of birth a bit in their system?

They think you're an unaccompanied minor:E

Mark1234
7th Jul 2010, 10:38
Simples, check in online, no printer, walk to the desk and say you lost the printout.. I do it all the time :)

porch monkey
8th Jul 2010, 10:38
If you weren't such a fish arse, you'd pay the $30 g and get seat O b!:ok:

VBA Engineer
8th Jul 2010, 19:08
No good getting an exit row if you are hoping to look out the window.

You need to select a seat fore or aft of the wing, not in the middle of it