PDA

View Full Version : Waddington Air show

Argonautical
5th Jul 2010, 09:45
I went on Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it, it was a vast improvement on last year's, so well done everybody.

I particularly enjoyed the Typhoon Spitfire routine, hats off to both pilots.

The Vulcan was well flown and I feel a bit guilty about enjoying it without having contributed to getting her airborne, so I will be making a small donation to keep her airborne.

Ginger Beer
5th Jul 2010, 18:25
A tip top show. Thanks to all involved, it was fantastic to see the Vulcan display again.

Ginge

chopper2004
5th Jul 2010, 19:54
It was good barring the fact that the Armee de l' Air and NATO E-3D couldnt make it and that there appeared to be less on the static display than last year.

It was umm strange to see the Nimord R.1 and the E-3D that are under storage on display (especially the E-3 engine cowling covers missing :) )

The Belgian Air Component display was good and so was the Vulcan

Thought the USAFE and ACC contribution was great :)

311 fan
5th Jul 2010, 20:27
Like Ginger beer said tip top show. Sad to see the Nimrod R1 fly in the public for the last time. Shame they could not do a few more passes.

Great stuff with limited resources. Many thanks to all who were involved behind the scenes.

Thanks for the hospitality extended by the aircrew of the Czech An 26 to a fellow Czech! The apricot brandy was awsome!

P6 Driver
5th Jul 2010, 20:43
For me;

Highlight = Typhoon/Spitfire. Well flown and timed.

Lowlight = None - I enjoyed the whole day (Saturday).

Odd thing = Seeing the Red Arrows display eight aircraft.

geordierussell
5th Jul 2010, 21:24
got to agree P6 Driver. Red Arrows with only 8 planes was odd.

Suppose you have to expect a woman to throw the odd sickie....lol

Overall the best Waddington show I have been to.

vecvechookattack
5th Jul 2010, 22:03
I was there and working as well

Thank you RAF...... great show and perfect hosts

Wensleydale
6th Jul 2010, 08:11
Missing Red on Saturday?

Someone told me that they had read in the paper that the missing red was being hosted at the Goodwood Festival of Speed on Saturday. Not seen it to verify it myself, but as this is a rumour network, this appears to be a good one!

Would be a shame if it was true though. Anyone know the facts?

thesuds
6th Jul 2010, 11:05
Inbound Goodwood on Saturday, flew overhead Odiham,. Saw nine reds parked up. Watched eight-ship display at the festival. On return flight saw single red still parked. Tech ?

Suds

chopper2004
6th Jul 2010, 13:04
VigilantPilot, on saturday, the we didn't see any folks lining up to walk through the USAF E-3 and unlike the C-130J and the KC-135R.

Though was impressed with the colour scheme of the Aeronautica Militare F-16 pair

gareth herts
6th Jul 2010, 14:18
Reason for 8 Reds was that Kirsty Moore was unwell - food poisoning I believe.

Wensleydale
6th Jul 2010, 15:00
Thanks Gareth. This was the reason given at the Waddington Airshow over the PA system. However, the press had reported her being hosted at the Goodwood festival of speed. It appears that both were probably correct.

P6 Driver
6th Jul 2010, 18:12
On Saturday, the Reds commentator said that Red 3 was ill with food poisoning, and that Red 1 had to change aircraft when the team started up at Odiham, swapping to the spare when his own machine went u/s.

dropintheoggin
6th Jul 2010, 19:57
Maybe the Red being hosted at Goodwood was the injured one? I doubt they'd fly a display with one missing to get hosted at an event...

vecvechookattack
6th Jul 2010, 20:05
Waddington airshow was a great weekend but I did hear that a Goodwood a Helicopter display team were there and the aircrew were in Hotels whilst the maintainers were living in tents in the corner of the airfield.... Thats the way to treat your engineers.....

CRM Monkey
6th Jul 2010, 20:12
I don't know the situation at Goodwood but it is often the case that the display organisers put up (and pay for) the aircrew to ensure that they attract as many displays as possible. Given that most jets and helos can be serviced by the crew over a weekend I doubt that there was a requirement for any groundcrew, so if the display crew asked to bring them for a jolly then the cost would lie with them. Military budgets being so tight I guess the display crew gave the groundcrew the option of coming along and staying in tents or not at all. Probably worth it for free entrance to the show and a good fun weekend away

Might be wrong...

vecvechookattack
6th Jul 2010, 20:14
Makes sense.... I'd have stayed in a tent for a free ticket to Goodwood.