PDA

View Full Version : With a Green Card !!! can you get a TAS clearnace to fly Jet airplanes in USA ??

IRAQIFAlCOn
5th Jul 2010, 01:17
Hi guys, I have a question ? it could be not difficult to answer but please leave a reference if is possible for your answer !, can I fly with a charter Jet company or an airline in USA with only a green card or I have to have the nationality????

guiones
5th Jul 2010, 01:52
The answer is YES, you can unless it is a US Government job that requires security clearance.

As a matter of fact, it would be considered descrimination not to give you the job because you hold a Green Card instead of Citizenship.

USCIS - After a Green Card is Granted (http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=f1903a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=f1903a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD)

G

avilababa
5th Jul 2010, 14:52
Many airlines in the US still require you to actually have citizenship, guess you would only know if you would be greencard holer and did apply. However that is a fact. Good luck.

saviboy
5th Jul 2010, 15:03
most of the big carriers do not require citizenship, a green card is enough.
however it s true that some companies (usually smaller ones) won t hire green card holders. these are limited so do not be discouraged.

guiones
5th Jul 2010, 17:37
Avilababa, Saviboy:

You are both WRONG!

You must research your answers, what you say is illegal in the US and any employer that requires US Citizenship for employment is doing it against US Law.

They would open themselves for Government prosecution and Civil Court Proceedings ($) for discrimination.

As a matter of fact, a Green Card is not even necessary; any employee my have one of several different acceptable proper work authorizations.

"The Office of Special Counsel for Immigration-Related Unfair Employment Practices enforces the anti-discrimination provision of the Immigration and Nationality Act § 274B, 8 U.S.C. § 1324b. This statute prohibits citizenship or immigration status discrimination with respect to hiring, firing, and recruitment or referral for a fee, by employers with four or more employees. Employers may not treat individuals differently because they are, or are not, U.S. citizens. U.S. citizens and nationals, recent permanent residents, asylees and refugees are protected from citizenship status discrimination"

Civil Rights Divison Office of Special Counsel Home Page (http://www.justice.gov/crt/osc/)

Immigrants Are Protected From Discrimination (RIS Va) (http://www.risva.org/discrimination.htm)

G

IRAQIFAlCOn
5th Jul 2010, 20:04
Thank you guys all for those answers , I appreciate your replies All .

so its possible for Green Card Holder to apply for Airlines and get a job in USA! Is most of the Airlines consider the Bachelor degree in USA? that's off course plus the Jet Experience flight time !

saviboy
5th Jul 2010, 20:55
guiones, take a chill pill dude.

it might be illegal but some companies have done in the past and some probably still do it.

I was a green card holder and now a US citizen. one of my friends was flying for a small freight airline flying turboprops. After having walked in my resume to the chief pilot he told me I would get a call the next friday for an interview.
My friend then asked me if I had a US passport. at the time I didnt and because of that I couldnt get an interview. Was it stated on their website? no.
do I have a legal proof of what happened? no. but it certainly did. they hired one of my buddies the week after. Us passport holder of course. so it does happen. as I said not very often but sometimes it does.
There was also a time right after 9/11 when companies were not familiar with the then new and burdensome process of doing a background check for alien pilots. in a time where qualified US citizen pilots were plentiful and unemployed, companies had no incentive to hire Green card holders.

MarkerInbound
7th Jul 2010, 02:11
SoCal,

I think we both agree no aviation company can show there are not enough pilots in the US, but you can get a green card with an offer of employment if the job requires special skills. As you say, your green card would be tied to that job. But you can also get green cards by being sponsored by a family member who is a US citizen, being a refugee, and there is even a lottery that gives out 50,000 green cards a year under a diversity program.

kiwi1011fe
8th Jul 2010, 03:12
From my own experience:

I got my Green card because my wife is a US Citizen.
It took about 6 weeks to get it, but this was 22 years ago.

I was able to work for any one that would hire me.....ie no restrictions on employment.
I flewNavajo's for a small commuter operation, then on to Metroliners and Brasilias for a commuter linked to a major airline, then to a major airline on B727s and L1011s, to a US based International charter operation on the L1011, which involved alot of military charters ( pre 9/11) and then into cargo operations on the Falcon 20, B727 and B737. All this was on a Green Card, although after 9/11
due to the "new training in large transport aircraft " TSA requirement, every time I did recurrent training or transitioned to a new aircraft type, the company had to apply for a training approval, which was always granted because I was a current flight crew employee.......although one year some one dropped the ball and the approval had not been recieved on the day of the start of my recurrent....so I was put back on the line.....ironic that I ended up flying over Washington DC in a real B727, but was not approved to fly a simulator because of security concerns!!!!!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wbored.gif

When the cargo operator ceased ops at the end of 2007, I tried to get on with one of the 747 International Cargo operators, but after talking to them realised they couldn't hire me without a US Passport due to the Military work they did. ( new requirement after 9/11):ugh:

I applied for US Citizenship which took about 6 months and as soon as I had the US Citizenship, applied for a US Passport which I had in hand in 3 weeks. But by then the hiring was over at the 747 operators...so now I am still waiting for some hiring activity.

MungoP
8th Jul 2010, 13:22
You do NOT need to be employed to be awarded a permanent residency (Green Card).. I was able to qualify because I married a US citizen.. The work permit was awarded first after approx 4 months and the Green Card arrived approx 4 weeks later (2007/8). Initially it was awarded on a temporary basis ( 2 years) and I had to demonstrate at the end of that period that we were still married and had been co-existing for that period. I was then awarded a ten year extension... As far as the TSA clearence goes, I not only am able to fly but also to instruct/train in simulators, new crew and crew coming for recurrent training... something that the TSA take seriously.
Without the married aspect... it would no doubt be much tougher.

MontyB.
8th Nov 2010, 13:24
The DV lottery requires 2 years of work experience in the previous 5 years in an occupation requiring at least two years' training or experience and is already closed for 2011.

Not exactly true:
The law and regulations require that every diversity visa entrant must have at least a high school education or its equivalent or have, within the past five years, two years of work experience in an occupation requiring at least two years' training or experience.

Hope this help

Peter Fanelli
8th Nov 2010, 13:39
To get a "green Card" you first have to be employed in the US by a US company who are already sponsoring your visa. Whether that is a H1B or a L1 etc.

The point is you have to already be working in the US. You are tied to that employer and cannot resign or move to another company without having to start again and get a new visa sponsored by the new company etc.
There is no obligation for a US employer to sponsor a work visa. There are plenty of unemployed and highly skilled US Citizens and the employer has to show that he/she cannot get the same skills from the existing workforce.

Once you are working in the US legitimately on the correct visa, your employer may then opt to sponsor you for a "Green Card",
That process itself takes upwards of 24 months depending on the part of the country you happen to be in.

Not true, obtaining a green card is nothing to do with an employer.
When you enter the country legally on an appropriate visa your passport SHOULD be stamped "Employment Authorized"
If it is not as was my case you have to apply for an "Employment Authorization Document" which you can use to work in the USA.
If I remember correctly that document is only good for a short time, maybe 6 months. During this time you may apply for the green card.

I understand that some work visas are tied to a particular employer, but the green card application is independent of that.

SloppyJoe
8th Nov 2010, 18:52
The TSA give approval to non US green card/citizen/work permit holders to fly jet airplanes in the US. All pilots of international carriers flying into the US have TSA approval.