PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a cold/pharyngitis...

chfeudpail
4th Jul 2010, 15:40
Hello guys,

Would you take the risk to fly longhaul as a pilot ( +10hours ) in a 15%humidity cabin / pressurized plane when you are suffering from mild cold/pharyngitis ? ( no fever ) Would you report unfit as a pilot?

It is never easy to call sick . . . "Sometimes, doing the right thing and missing work means being branded a poor employee"

Any experiences... advices would me much appreciated...

Thank you

Chesty Morgan
4th Jul 2010, 17:14
No. Call in sick. Your employer should understand the physiological effects of flying with a cold.

You might be ok even if nothing goes wrong however, you might not. It aint worth the risk. It aint worth your health and future medicals and, therefore, your license and it aint worth the risk of you becoming incapacitated.

fabbe92
4th Jul 2010, 17:30
In wich way can the medical be at risk when flying longhaul with a cold?

chfeudpail
4th Jul 2010, 17:37
I fully agree with you. Health is the most important think we have to maintain for life. See a doctor and get a proof of sickness.

But is is the pilot's responsibility to call sick ASAP in order not to affect the air OPS, and this is not always an easy task cause you never know how bad or good your sickness will be in the next coming hours...if you see what I mean.

I am also sure that somewhere the companies check your yearly absenteism and that this might affect you ability to get upgrades etc... And I think this is wrong !

Have you heard stories of pilots being sacked for being too often ill ?