PDA

View Full Version : HSBC Rewards rip off

Frogman1484
4th Jul 2010, 06:21
I just noticed today that on my Visa statement, HSBC has changed it's rewards program.

We now earn $1 for every $250 we spend, and we need $15 to generate 1Mile on Asia Miles.

Before we used to get 1 point for every dollar you spent and you still needed 15 points for 1 mile.

What a rip off!!!!

Right, who has Amex?
Any good?
Does it get refused much?

Any other cards worth looking into?

turnandburn
4th Jul 2010, 07:26
Amex is the one
refused very little
and accepted much better out of Hong Kong
and more points

preset
4th Jul 2010, 08:18
...and this has what to do with aviation ?

buzz box
4th Jul 2010, 09:54
...and this has what to do with aviation ?

Asia Miles at a stretch! But carry on, im in need of a card with better benefits too.

So far its between the cx amex and the citibank premier miles platinum for me.

SloppyJoe
4th Jul 2010, 20:34
one of the best things about the CX amex card is you get free priority pass membership so you can use the lounges in most airports without any charges, worth getting it just for that.

parabellum
4th Jul 2010, 23:59
If you have bank accounts in Australia then the Westpac Gold/Platinum Altitude card is a good one, Amex and Visa, directly linked to QANTAS air miles programme, every dollar spent on the card counts, free travel insurance and the excess on hire cars is covered.

JAYTO
5th Jul 2010, 00:14
Hi

I think you will find that they have changed the system to make it clearer on how much actual cash value you have instead of points which meant nothing to me.
For example I at one time had close to 80000 points and when making a purchase at Fortress got a discount around $300 off my product.
I had no idea what the "points" were worth until actually using them.
Now I can see an actual dollar value that I have "banked"
Not sure what rate they used previously to change points to dollars though so maybe the system is worse off but not as much as you think.

crwjerk
5th Jul 2010, 04:21
Tell HSBC to go take a flying fuc*................. Now it's Aviation related......:ok:

404 Titan
5th Jul 2010, 04:45
I spat the dummy at them about 6 weeks ago when I noticed this. My wife and I had about CC 500000 points we wanted to convert to Asia Miles and noticed they were now worth about 20% less than a few days earlier when it was 1/15. Imade it very clear to them unless they honoured the 1/15 I would close all my accounts including loans and CC's and take them else where. I got what I wanted but I'm still on the lookout for a better CC deal.

jetset
5th Jul 2010, 14:04
Citibank Visa is pretty good, Amex is best.

I think Citibank is 12 in HKD and same as Amex in FX.

Amex (I think) is 8 HKD per point.

Citibank Visa can recharge your Octopus so you should be able to earn points for everything you do!
:cool:

Adam Nams
6th Jul 2010, 04:47
Citibank Visa can recharge your Octopus so you should be able to earn points for everything you do!

I can't speak for Citibank, but I thought that HSBC had something in the small print to say that unless you actually signed for the goods and got a receipt, then you wouldn't get the points?

What fees are there for Amex? IIRC HSBC charge an annual fee of $120.

jonathon68
6th Jul 2010, 14:04
An annual fee. I haven't paid one of those for over 10 years.

Every time they try to charge me, I phone them up and threaten to cancel my card. They always waive the fee.

BalusKaptan
7th Jul 2010, 05:27
Exactly!
I haven't paid an annual fee EVER. Always ask for it to be refunded and the Bank staff carn't get the form out fast enough. My Wife has her card there as well and does the same.