PDA

View Full Version : Middle age !

phil9560
4th Jul 2010, 00:06
Slightly frivolous post after a few pints so forgive me now!
Went to Waddington today and met a 25 year old Typhoon pilot.I thought he was an Air Cadet until I saw the Wings! Lucky little @@@@ :)

Aerouk
4th Jul 2010, 00:46
Noticed that at RAF Leuchars last year, one of the chaps on the Tucano looked as if he was barely old enough to leave school.

Impressive though makes me rather jealous.

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
4th Jul 2010, 08:21
I hope you told him you were an astronaut.

SPHLC

Dolphin Trainer

phil9560
4th Jul 2010, 09:39
Unfortunately I was so busy commencing my mid life crisis it didn't occur to me.Although I expect he was too young to know who Neil Armstrong was :*

However I sat in a lovely old 5 SQN Lightning :ok:

Wyler
4th Jul 2010, 10:00
I'm loving it.

Washing my face whilst still wearing my glasses.

Getting half way up the stairs and forgetting why I am there.

Inability to remember what I did yesterday.

Luckily, my work activities are confined to the simulator and the classroom. Really have to concentrate now whereas it used to be a piece of p*ss :{

Top Bunk Tester
4th Jul 2010, 10:06
SPHLC
I can believe that you are a dolphin trainer.

You swim with them and it teaches them to stay away from Humpback Whales. And you were a shark in RAF(U) GB! :}

BEagle
4th Jul 2010, 11:20
DamianF, the time really to worry is when you get nurse to pull your zip down - only to find that you've forgotten what it was that you wanted her to do next....:eek:

Wholigan
4th Jul 2010, 13:27
The Middle Ages ran from the 5th century to the 15th century (approx) and I sometimes feel that I saw all of that period!

At least I'm sure I can remember more about that period than about what happened last week!!!

;)

Wizzard
4th Jul 2010, 14:10
Many, many years ago when working at CFS(H), we were at Valley doing the mountain flying phase - I say phase but is was done in a day! In the feeder at lunch, one of our studes - crusty RM C/SGT - walked up to a table where a couple of young FJ studes were eating and asked if they wanted him to cut up their meat :)

Hummingfrog
4th Jul 2010, 14:28
Ah the Pilot Feeder as was at Valley.

Got sent there in Walter the Wessex from N. Ireland to get something urgent (can't remember what so not too much thread drift!). of course it wasn't there yet so went to get some lunch in Pilot Feeder with trusty crewman (tc) walking standard 2 steps behind;). Walked in and went to get served lots of looks at tc from baby pilots as he had prominent Sgts Stripes on his cold weather jacket though he also had his SLR slung over his shoulder. Staff were a bit reluctant to feed him as at that time they weren't used to NCO aircrew coming into the feeder. I pointed out he had a gun so they better had:E

HF

Pontius Navigator
4th Jul 2010, 14:38
Getting half way up the stairs and forgetting why I am there.

Ah, but how many times? I think I made it three times but I can't remember.

BEagle
4th Jul 2010, 14:39
Presumably because it was funded as an Officers' Mess 'annex', Hummingfrog? Still, if you were content to threaten the staff at gunpoint, I'm sure you would have been served without question...:\

Much fun watching the expressions of the Blunties stuffing themselves in the OM dining room at lunchtime when some visiting Walterist in cabbage kit entered and slung his SMG over the back of his chair....:ok:

dalek
4th Jul 2010, 14:46
1980 ish I saw an article where granddad / dad / son had flown the same T4 Canberra.
Probably true about the C130K and maybe others. Anybody know?

PlasticCabDriver
4th Jul 2010, 15:36
Washing my face whilst still wearing my glasses.Getting in the shower still wearing my glasses, getting in the shower still wearing my socks, putting my contact lenses in then putting my glasses on and wondering why it all looks funny, putting contact lenses in then putting another set in 5 mins later and wondering why it all looks funny, putting both lenses in the same eye and wondering why it all looks funny...

Getting half way up the stairs and forgetting why I am there....then going down again, remembering at the bottom, going back up and forgetting again halfway up...

Inability to remember what I did yesterday. or the name of the chap I flew with, or where we went, or the name of the chap who I have worked with for nearly 10 years and only saw for the last time 2 weeks ago...

Sounds like the onset of Alk, Alz, Alzikim...you know the thing, I forget.

Busta
4th Jul 2010, 16:43
I remember chasing after women, can't remember why.

Nothing matters very much, most things don't matter at all.

Wander00
4th Jul 2010, 17:32
Stannah have a new high-speed stairlift - so you can reach the first floor berfore you forget why you went in the first place!

VX275
4th Jul 2010, 18:11
I met a Staion Commander recently and the last time I saw him he was an Air Cadet.

Wander00
4th Jul 2010, 18:55
Got a bit of a shock when I found an IOT student (1983) had not only made Gp Capt, but had also then gone on and retired from the RAF

ShyTorque
4th Jul 2010, 21:09
Got sent there in Walter the Wessex from N. Ireland to get something urgent (can't remember what so not too much thread drift!). of course it wasn't there yet so went to get some lunch in Pilot Feeder with trusty crewman (tc) walking standard 2 steps behind. Walked in and went to get served lots of looks at tc from baby pilots as he had prominent Sgts Stripes on his cold weather jacket though he also had his SLR slung over his shoulder. Staff were a bit reluctant to feed him as at that time they weren't used to NCO aircrew coming into the feeder. I pointed out he had a gun so they better had

Yes, it was a well guarded secret that RAF SH was actually on an operational mission (carrying real guns and real bullets) in those days. No-one else seemed to be aware that the largest RAF squadron was comprised of support helicopters, the crews were getting shot at and SAM'd and understandably sometimes had little time for petty mainland mess rules.... :rolleyes:

JEM60
4th Jul 2010, 21:23
I suffered from Amnesia once, but I can't remember when it was!.:)

PlasticCabDriver
4th Jul 2010, 21:40
Airpolice

In Scotland, the affliction you are thinking of, is known as Auld Timer's Disease.Many thanks! As I now live in sunny Scotland (yeah right, it snowed today, albeit very briefly!), that's what I shall call it!

If I can remember, that is...

phil9560
4th Jul 2010, 22:29
Well I've certainly started something here with my youth envy.Its a relief to hear I'm not the only one infuriated by the passage of time.And I'm only 41-I'll be a right miserable t@a@ when I'm 80.:O

parabellum
4th Jul 2010, 23:48
I once bought a book on improving the memory but I forgot to read it!:)

Tyres O'Flaherty
4th Jul 2010, 23:58
remember, those apollo guys were in their 40's, all of them when they did their missions.

They took their lives in their hands & went to the Moon fer godssakes

Nothing wrong with being 40's on that basis methinks.

Buzzzo - i.e. Buzz Aldrin has gone up in his 70's.

phil9560
5th Jul 2010, 00:16
40 is cool !! :ok:

Just wish I was 17 with the mind I have now-I'd conquer the world !!!:)

sisemen
5th Jul 2010, 01:53
Got a bit of a shock when I found an IOT student (1983) had not only made Gp Capt, but had also then gone on and retired from the RAF

Ditto. It comes as a hell of a shock to find some of my students (83-85) have gone past Gp Capt (and at least one of them on R Sqn) and out. Still, it is over a quarter of a century ago - but seems like yesterday. :{

Oceanic815
5th Jul 2010, 03:26
remember, those apollo guys were in their 40's, all of them when they did their missions.

They took their lives in their hands & went to the Moon fer godssakes

Nothing wrong with being 40's on that basis methinks.

Buzzzo - i.e. Buzz Aldrin has gone up in his 70's.

Think you'll find Armstrong was 38 when he landed on the moon. Chap who went up in his 70s was John Glenn!

Pontius Navigator
5th Jul 2010, 06:58
On Nimrod's, our AEO thought the Captain's name was familiar and looked back through his old log books. "M*****, I flew with your Dad when I was his rear-gunner." He PVRd the following week and was in Madame Tussaud's not long afrer. :}

Me, a few years later, to a young copilot with an uncommon name, "Is your Dad 'Harvey H******' "Yes", to which I replied that I had flown with him on Ansons. :}

henry crun
5th Jul 2010, 07:55
Oceanic815: You said "remember, those apollo guys were in their 40's, all of them when they did their missions".

Except for Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, Pete Conrad, Alan Bean, David Scott, Charlei Duke, Eugene Cernan, and Harrison Schmitt.

charliegolf
5th Jul 2010, 08:24
Someone said:

however I came out totally depressed when I saw a Tornado GR1 I had flown in is now in a museum !!

I was on Pumas! I know I should be in a museum, but they're still going. Something not quite right, can't put my finger on it.

CG

BEagle
5th Jul 2010, 08:41
Even worse is when an aircraft you once flew became a gate guardian.......and now the station where it proudly stood has been closed :\ and is fast becoming a housing estate!!

Pontius Navigator
5th Jul 2010, 08:50
Or on dining out for the last time at the station where you started only for the staish to be only a toddler back then. :\

oldpax
5th Jul 2010, 10:58
Er,I am not mil aircrew but.....my first attempt at marshalling was with a Boulton paul Balliol ,first flights in an Anson and the fleet air arm had Skyraiders,I helped refuel one!!Wish I could remember to stop work and retire!

Pontius Navigator
5th Jul 2010, 12:03
I have solved the upstairs/downstairs problem, other than moving to a bungalow, I write a note as a reminder. :p

Gainesy
5th Jul 2010, 12:38
Take a cuppa with you, that way you can sit and have tea while you try and remember what the point of writing this post...er... quite.

Lafyar Cokov
5th Jul 2010, 12:46
I don't think this senile dementure will ever affect me!

BEagle
5th Jul 2010, 13:45
This age-induced memory loss thing is a load of nonsense!

BEagle
5th Jul 2010, 13:48
This age-induced memory loss thing is a load of nonsense!

:rolleyes:

Lafyar Cokov
5th Jul 2010, 13:51
I don't think this senile dementure thing will ever affect me!

MightyGem
5th Jul 2010, 15:18
I thi......now, what was I going to say????? :(

Art Field
5th Jul 2010, 16:08
My boss told me I was indolent, not only am I too lazy to find out what it means but if I did I have no idea what I've done with the dictionary.

goudie
5th Jul 2010, 16:23
I've solved the problem of a diminishing memory by writing things down on a list.
Now, if I could just remember......................................!!

Dunhovrin
5th Jul 2010, 17:23
I'm still getting used to the fat bloke scaring me in the bathroom mirror.

Pontius Navigator
5th Jul 2010, 19:40
Oedipus didn't :}

Motleycallsign
5th Jul 2010, 20:18
If one suffers from Alzheimers and then gets Amnesia does one forget that they can't remember thibgs?

Lafyar Cokov
5th Jul 2010, 20:57
I don't think this senile dementure thing will ever affect me!

sycamore
5th Jul 2010, 22:48
I thought the Doc said I had a` sensible denture`,but I need to `chew `on it for a bit...

L J R
6th Jul 2010, 00:22
I thought that this thread was about a young Typhoon driver. How did we get here..!

PlasticCabDriver
6th Jul 2010, 07:56
Man goes to the doctor for his test results.

Doctor: "I'm very sorry but there's been a mix up at the lab and everyones tests got a bit mixed up. In your case we've narrowed it down, and you've either got Alzheimers or AIDS".

Man: "Oh my God, that's terrible either way! What shall I do?"

Doctor: "Well, when you leave here, if you can remember your way home, don't f*** your wife!".

Taxi for me?

Pontius Navigator
6th Jul 2010, 08:31
Typhoon driver? How did we get there?

goudie
6th Jul 2010, 09:31
Is that a bit like a Wapiti ?

Looks nothing like an elk

Pontius Navigator
6th Jul 2010, 09:33
Never did like elks when I was at Southend as a nipper.

goudie
6th Jul 2010, 09:37
No Pontius, thems was big winkles

Pontius Navigator
6th Jul 2010, 09:42
always prefered crabs though

6th Jul 2010, 09:43
On posting back to one of my previous Sqn's, I find myself flying with WSOs who weren't born the last time I was on the Sqn.........:eek:

Molemot
6th Jul 2010, 09:48
I spent the end bit of my working life as an Immigration officer. One day, seated at the control desk, an American passenger came up...asked him the usual questions..
Moley: "How long are you staying?"
Pax: "3 days.."
Moley: "What are you doing?"
Pax: "Medical research conference.."
Moley: "That's interesting. What exactly are you researching at the moment?"
Pax: "Alzheimer's disease.."
Moley: "That's interesting. What exactly are you researching at the moment?"
Pax: "Alzheimer's dis....you b*st*rd!!! No fair!! I've been stuck on a plane for hours....!!!"

Probably one of my finest hours, that was....

DeepestSouth
6th Jul 2010, 20:20
Recently discovered that a very ancient chap I know is ex-RAF and in 1945 was awarded an AFC - not only that, but subsequently, in civvy life, he was awarded an OBE.

In discussing matters aeronautical he said "Well, when I retired at 65 I got a bit bored so I thought I'd get a PPL. It all came back very quickly and I tooled around quite happily for a few years until my 'annual' showed a heart murmur so I stopped at 76."

He's now 95, occasionally appears on stage in am dram, and at a recent 'gathering' recited the whole of a very long poem from memory!

Now - if only I could remember his name ...!

DS (aged 59 ... I think)

Pontius Navigator
6th Jul 2010, 20:29
When a man grows old
and his balls grow cold
and he's bent in the middle
like a one string fiddle
he can tell you a tale or too...............

if he could only remember the tale

olympus
6th Jul 2010, 22:05
When a man grows old
and his balls grow cold
and the end of his knob turns blue
and he's bent in the middle
like a one string fiddle
he can tell you a tale or two...............

Sleeping
6th Jul 2010, 22:24
So pull up a chair
and stand me a drink
and a tale to you I'll tell
of Dead Eye Dick
and mexican Pete
and a harlot called Eskimo Nell

:E

alisoncc
6th Jul 2010, 23:43
You've got to think positive. There are advantages to Alzheimers, you get to meet so many new people.:ok:

sycamore
7th Jul 2010, 10:22
-and every few minutes !

goudie
7th Jul 2010, 11:36
Do I post here often?

Still Wee Jock
7th Jul 2010, 15:32
...thinking I've gone blind then realising I've got the wife's specs on...muddling up all the kids' plus the dog's names....forgetting why I've opened the fridge (unless it's for alcohol)....calling all unknown objects 'thingeys'....finding out a new born baby I baby sat for is a Typhoon pilot. There back where we started.

Gulfstreamaviator
7th Jul 2010, 16:32
Call all females my dear, and you wont go wrong.

Worked until he had dinner with Mrs Thatcher.

Still works for me.

glf

Still Wee Jock
7th Jul 2010, 22:45
Not joking, either, young Lockwood.