PDA

View Full Version : Academic Vs Military Experience

pebble_hopeful
3rd Jul 2010, 19:31
Good Evening,

I am very much interested in pursuing a full time military career as a RAF Pilot. However, I do not hold a degree and my 3 A-level results were not exactly glowing, this somewhat puts me off as I fear any application will stumble on this Academic aspect. My UCAS points are the minimum for application as an Officer.

But would me serving as a reservist, with an Afghanistan tour under my belt, outweigh if not boost my chances at pursuing this deep ambition?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

pebble_hopeful.

Time Flies
3rd Jul 2010, 19:47
p_h

I would not worry about it too much. The minimum requirements are there for a reason. If the RAF only wanted candidates with 2 A-levels at grade A they would stipulate that.

If you meet the minimum requirements you get a shot at continuing through the application process. Once you get to the interview stage it would be up to you to explain why, in your opinion, your grades "were not exactly glowing". This would also be the point where you would be able to show that it's not always about the academics and why the RAF need you.

Trust me, it works!

Good luck,

TF

Pontius Navigator
3rd Jul 2010, 20:53
PH, TF is spot on. The qualifications are just that, qualifications that get you an interview. Thereafter it is entirely up to you.

Bob Viking
5th Jul 2010, 08:03
If you would like an example to put some meat on the bones then I can tell you that I got a D and an E for my two A levels (Maths and PE) back in 1995 and I'm about to start my third fast jet flying tour so I wouldn't worry too much! They were followed by a Primary School Teaching Degree as well which doesn't exactly fit the normal Aero Eng' style degree!
The type of person you are is much more important than academic results.
Sorry for bragging about my A Level results. I know they could make alot of people jealous! They have been a source of much pride for many years now. Mind you they probably equate to 4 A*s in today's climate!
BV:8

Torque Tonight
5th Jul 2010, 08:55
I guess you were overqualified for the PEd O branch.:ok:

NRU74
5th Jul 2010, 09:11
Seriously, what do you have to do to get an E in A Level PE ?

Gainesy
5th Jul 2010, 09:21
Throw up on a trampoline?
:)
:yuk:
:uhoh:
:{

Red Line Entry
5th Jul 2010, 09:44
Courtesy of 'I'm sorry I haven't a clue':

Definition of Trampoline: solvent for cleaning vagrants.

Bob Viking
5th Jul 2010, 16:38
Sorry I wasn't very clear. The E was for Maths!:}
No really!
The D in PE wasn't too great though either. I spent far too much of my time in the sports centre getting very fit to bother with all that academia! Sadly being fit and good at sport wasn't enough for a good grade!
BV;)

minigundiplomat
5th Jul 2010, 17:24
With regard to the OP, a tour in Afghanistan may help. Those grades are likely to attract some questions at interview.

However, if you could offset them against life experience such as a tour in Afghanistan, community work, interests or other awards such as Duke of Edinburgh etc, it may take some of the sting out of that bit of the interview.

But remember, the guy interviewed before me at OASC had a Masters in Applied Mathematics. He was out after about 30 minutes; once they got off the subject of academic achievement, he had no hobbies or interests and had spent his entire childhood/adolescence with an maths textbook. He was told to go away for a while and get some life experience.

Dunhovrin
5th Jul 2010, 17:26
I couldn't even spell PE.

Talk Reaction
5th Jul 2010, 19:28
Pebble

Your A levels are the least of your attributes. It's a tough recruiting climate now and they are loads of youngsters with 4 A Level A grades but few with your experiences. You exceed the minimum academic requirements, rest assured there will be few questions about what you did at school and more about you, your determination and ambition.

Good luck!

SirToppamHat
5th Jul 2010, 21:52
I too achieved disappointing A-Level Grades, (but a couple of degrees). I anticipated the question as it wasn't the first time it had been asked. Explained that I'd been in an all Boys Grammar and discovered 3 things at the age of 17:

1.Flying
2.Girls
3.Beer

Not surprisingly, I didn't have time for Maths and Physics. Mind you, in those days one only needed 5 O Levels at C or above including Maths English and a Physics based science.

STH

Wensleydale
6th Jul 2010, 08:25
If you got a D in PE, wouldn't that be PDE? Close enough to PHD for a spell checker!!

Professor Plum
6th Jul 2010, 17:57
I also had pretty poor A'Level grades. I got an A and a D..... and failed the other two! I did go to Uni, but ended with with a mickey mouse degree from a mickey mouse Uni, and I managed to join as a Pilot.

As previously said, your experiences/skills/personality are a very important aspect of the selection procedure.

pebble_hopeful
12th Jul 2010, 18:56
Many thanks for your replies, hopefully will get to where I want to be. :ok: