PDA

View Full Version : SAS blunder

Techman
15th Nov 2001, 19:21
From BBC News

Thursday, 15 November, 2001, 13:13 GMT

Scandinavian Airlines says it will not withdraw copies of a brochure that advertises the view from the World Trade Center in glowing terms.

If it is something that people find hurtful, this is something we regret

SAS spokeswoman Siv Meisingseth
The brochure tells readers that from the top of the twin towers, you have the world at your feet, and that the experience is "overwhelming".

SAS spokeswoman Siv Meisingeth told BBC News Online that the company's cash problems prevented it from withdrawing the brochure, which also advertises 18 other travel destinations.

"SAS is in a very bad economic position. Now it is firing 3,500 people," she said.

"The catalogue costs us a lot of money and we have made a decision not to withdraw it. We are going to make a new one in February."

Cost cutting

She added that the brochure was printed in August, before the 11 September attacks.

It had a run of 30,000 copies, distributed to airport lounges and ticket offices in Denmark, Norway and Sweden.

SAS is laying off 13.5% of its workforce

"If it is something that people find hurtful, this is something we regret of course," Ms Meisingseth said.

She added that many copies were ordered over the internet, and could not be recalled from people's homes.

In the wake of the US attacks, the economic outlook is currently gloomy for all European flag carriers.

Swissair and Belgium's Sabena have folded.

And SAS has said it will cut 13% of its workforce in an attempt to reduce costs.

The airline's situation worsened when on 8 October an SAS jet crashed on take off at a Milanese airport, killing more than 100 people.

Payscale
15th Nov 2001, 20:59
How do you see it as a blunder?

Knold
15th Nov 2001, 21:16
Very unfortunate indeed, but what were the options? As she said some copies were already delivered to some households. If they had withdrawn this issue everyone would start chasing the few that already were in the loop. Journalists would make an even bigger deal out of it.
Like I said, very unforunate.

willbav8r
15th Nov 2001, 21:25
I grew up in NJ. Came across some old things the other day. Almost came to tears. The old WTC brochure had the headline: "As close to heaven as you can get".

My heart skipped many beats.

May God rest their souls.

Techman
15th Nov 2001, 21:26
Follow this link Payscale, and all shall be revealed.

BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1658000/1658029.stm)

Knold
15th Nov 2001, 21:32
Wouldn’t mishap or something along that line been a better choice of words for the eager BBC editor.

Flap Sup
16th Nov 2001, 00:47
But what to do?
Withdraw all travelbooks describing the WTC? Tear out pages from architecture books?
I don't think it can be considered a blunder as it was printed before 9/11.

preflight
16th Nov 2001, 14:23
Exactly.
I think all this "donīt mention the WTC" has gone a bit too far.

Havenīt we all got other, more important issues to attend to?

//Preflight

fionan
17th Nov 2001, 06:09
Unfortunate yes "blunder" hardly.

Where would you draw the line. Ban all DVDs and videos showing the WTC. Confiscate all those marvellous prints available on Times Square.

To get rid of all references to is to try to forget and we should never do that.

None
17th Nov 2001, 07:39
Shoot, I don't want to see it hidden. Show it everywhere. Remember how you felt that day. I hope SAS does press-on with it, and I hope they do very well.

Roadtrip
17th Nov 2001, 07:52
Keep the pictures in the brochure. Those images should be seared into memory and never forgotten. We should never forget the atrocities that these terrorists, their friends that danced in the street at the news, their supporters, and financiers committed against civilization.

J-Class
19th Nov 2001, 01:47
Quite right roadtrip. We must never forget the WTC tragedy and we should continue to welcome images that celebrate those amazing buildings.

For those that are interested, the art gallery eyestorm has a bunch of limited edition photographs dedicated to the tragedy. Profits from these photos go to the World Trade Center Relief Fund.

web page (http://www.eyestorm.com/galleries/benefit/)

GlueBall
19th Nov 2001, 03:42
Take a virtual tour of the WTC prior to September 11th.
Word Trade Center Cam (http://www.newyork.com/vny/panorama/tour3d.html)

[ 18 November 2001: Message edited by: GlueBall ]