View Full Version : Affordable Accommodation In Lagos

rodmur
3rd Jul 2010, 12:07
Hi
I need clean not too expensive for a few nights
can anyone help ?

Main Wheel
4th Jul 2010, 10:53
You'll do yourself a huge favour by just staying on board the aircraft.

seper
4th Jul 2010, 12:13
All hotels in Lagos are way overpriced,so cheap is impossible to come by.

The brand names,ie Protea,sheraton,even more so,you pay so much for crap.

However the following have decent rates,(by lagos standards),decent accomodation/security and are located within short distance from the airport.

.::House J | Hotels & Resorts (http://www.housej.com/home.html)
::Welcome To Savoy Suites...Feel The SavoyTouch Of Excellence.. (http://savoysuitesng.com/index.php)
:: Planet One Hospitality Group ! (http://www.planet1ng.com/)

exeng
4th Jul 2010, 12:40
A favoured abode for some of Arik Air's finest.

A luxury hotel situated in a prime Lagos location. Accommodation is arranged on four floors which are accessed by a lift about 1% of the time. All rooms have a window or possibly two - views from the top floor are panoramic taking in all the surrounding slums.

Hot and cold taps are provided for both the shower and basin located in each room. Water is available from these taps with a simple phone call to reception - however please note that hot water will require more than 30 minutes notice.

TV is available in all rooms where you can watch a variety of different channels including Africa Magic (great for the African equivalent of 'Corra' or 'Crossroads'). BBC World is available when the provider has been paid.

The hotel boasts free internet which is available when the provider has been paid. Eye watering download speeds are in evidence and a short e-mail will not take much longer than 30 minutes to view.

The hotel boasts a fine restaurant where you can make your choice from a very diverse menu - however it may save you some time to ask what is actually available before you choose. Whatever you choose the waiters like to entertain you with their little tricks - and so it is that your choice of fish may actually appear to be a pizza - such jolly fellows!

The hotel has not forgotten that many of their guests are animal lovers and so have thoughtfully incorporated a small animal menagerie adjacent to the restaurant separated by a glass partition - here you can see our little grey four legged friends about their business while you dine on fine cuisine. Sadly one of their number died in the kitchens a few months ago and remained for a week until it was found by the sniff test. At times like these you might like to consider dining out at one of the many fine outdoor barbecue providers.

The hotel also boasts an antique generator situated just next to the hotel entrance. As Lagos state has a world class electrical power generation and grid system it is very rare that this generator is used but it may just be worth asking for a room on the top floor at the opposite side of the hotel to the generator - if not available then I would recommend sleeping with a gas mask and industrial sized ear plugs.

The reception staff are always on hand to answer any little queries or rare problems you may have. When it comes to sincerity I think of a man by the name of Churchill who is always ready to give you the answer to want to hear.

Enjoy!

Regards
Exeng

rodmur
5th Jul 2010, 11:29
looks good

surveytheworld
5th Jul 2010, 17:18
ROTFL @ Exeng. Sounds almost as fancy as the Stopover Motel... :eek:

yanafrica
6th Jul 2010, 13:06
I Use to stay at Hotel J ,
close from airport, clean very good food,
reasonable price for Lagos, good breakfast.
a french guy used to run the place if you get along ,.......... hang over.

Taillet
6th Jul 2010, 15:22
House J will be the place to stay, no doubt. Been there a couple of times.:ok:

NRU74
6th Jul 2010, 17:05
exeng

Brought the French Internet Cafe to a halt by my loud guffaws on reading your post.
I've only been to Lagos once,was stuck there unserviceable for a week,and that was forty years ago.I didn't things could get worse, but perhaps they have ?

Smoketrails
8th Jul 2010, 11:52
...wait for it...wait for it...

Numero Uno
13th Jul 2010, 14:13
I am so amazed at the extent people can go in proving some myopic view from retarded minds with uncouth attitudes to issues especially to that which their knowledge might be highly limited and consequently questionable.

I'll be surprised if Exeng has ever been to or lived in Nigeria. I have been around quite a bit and I found the poetic efforts being reeled out by Prof. Exeng as mere galactic show of lyrics on a sunny day at maybe the Rio carnival. Another unsuccessful attempt at ridiculing an african country to some lesser minds' chagrin.

I stayed for reasonable periods in various hotels in Nigeria, Ghana and even Cotonou on a recent round in West Africa and I most say I find Exeng expose rather hillarious to say the least. While I agree with some other respondents just like any free market enviroment that price might be an issue, it might be fool hardy to conclude that Nigeria is awashed with standards like Exeng's 'Hillcrest'. :=:=

I do like criticisms where they are fairly done; but drawing implied general conclusions thereby tainting a people with half truths does not in any way have any semblance of justice to me. If anything, a mockery is made of such proponet's ill-educated mind.

Get your facts right; your pen is then a might!

Over and out.

9jarep
13th Jul 2010, 14:36
Numero Uno remain on this frequency:suspect: you have transmitted so much and requested so much wait for Acknowledgment

Jeffdh17
13th Jul 2010, 23:27
I confirm that House J is probably the best. Food is pretty good with lots of variety. Rooms are clean and the location is great.

I'm presently at The Welcome Center Hotel. It's a large facility with lot's of entertainment contained within the hotel. They have a website so check it out if you are so inclined. Food is not as good as House J, but it's edible.

Vortex Thing
15th Jul 2010, 02:04
Errm Numero Uno. Wind your neck in there's a good fellow. I have stayed in Hillcrest and know that Exeng has been kind to put it all as mildly as he has.

I have also stayed in numerous other hotels in Lagos, Nigeria and across Africa.

The standard even of the 'arguably' best hotels in Ikeja or anywhere within easy distance of the Airport (i.e not VI) is at best terrible and if you have ever had to suffer the likes of Cheers or the Blue Ribbon et al and you think that these hotels could be placed anywhere else in the modern world and not closed down then you are much mistaken.

So leave Exeng alone he is a nice chap who quietly puts up with having to live in places in a country that I would not even let my family visit much less hotels that are not fit for livestock and in some cases where you cohabit with said stock.

For rodmur however I say it very much depends on what you call expensive or inexpensive. To some $200 a night is fine others look for 1/4 that. Personally the accomodation is so bad that if you have to go there then take the hit and stay in the Protea on the airport road as if you go to House J, Welcome Centre, Heritage or Savoy which are all liveable for a short period then you will pay about $50 less than staying in Protea or Sheraton so you might as well stay in one of those and not get food poisoning, you may even get a hotel where the power stays on for more than 2-3 hrs and has air conditioning that doesn't remind you of your last walk around without air defence.

PM me for hotel contact details if you want any of the above but beware cheapest of those is advertised as 28,000N per night

VT