PDA

View Full Version : Airbus simulator training - flight on standby flight instruments

Tee Emm
3rd Jul 2010, 10:18
In March 2008, Aviation International News published an article based upon a UK Air Accidents Investigation Branch report on a major electrical failure to an A319 flying at night from London to Budapest.

The flight deck became dark as the crew lost all flight displays, autopilot, intercom and radio and most of the flight-deck lighting including standby instrument electrical lighting. The autothrust was also disabled, triggering the associated warning horn. The captain took control using the external night horizon and the poorly illuminated standby horizon and altimeter for reference. Most of the affected systems were restored after 90 seconds as the AC ESS FEED push-button was selected to alternate.

The aircraft was removed from service and investigators conducted extensive testing over the next four months but they could not identify any faults or reproduce the symptoms the crew reported. Although the AAIB could not trace the source of the fault, it did issue 13 safety recommendations as a result of the incident.

Among those recommendations: flying on standby instrumentation should be included in flight simulator training programmes.

Presumably our ATSB as well as Airbus operators in Australia, would have been made aware of the AAIB report and its recommendations - in particular that of flight simulator training on standby flight instruments. I wonder if the syllabus of type rating and recurrency training in the simulator includes regular practice in IMC. The operative term being "regular" and how that is defined.

Flight on standby flight instruments is more often than not, an annual box ticking exercise like unusual attitude recovery training. For example during an entire type rating syllabus of 40 hours, flight on standby flight instruments may cover less than 15 minutes. Yet, most would agree this emergency is one of the most demanding a pilot would meet in his career.

Clearly the situation is serious if a crew is forced back on standby flight instruments at night or IMC or any length of time. A pilot may be legally current in terms of ticking the box, but then we all know currency becomes a dubious point as the months pass since the last decent practice in the simulator.

For instance, an ILS every 35 days for instance keeps you current. Beyond that statuary time frame, not so. Is it easier to fly an ILS on automatic pilot every 35 days than flight on standby instruments once each year? Most pilots would take the ILS currency every time.

That said, it would be interesting to judge how much time should be scheduled for standby flight instrument practice without the aid of an automatic pilot, in order to be considered 100 percent competent throughout each year. Keep in mind, the vast majority of line flying is on automatic pilot and it is known that lack of hand flying practice inevitably leads to degradation of instrument flying skills. It gets worse as more sophisticated automation takes over the operation of the aircraft.

Leaving the choice of self regulation to the airline operators, as it applies to flight simulator training, means that nothing will change - especially where cost reduction is priority. In Australia, the regulator authority must pay more attention to overseas aircraft investigation reports and recommendations. Where such recommendations should equally apply to Australian operators, then pressure needs to be applied by the regulator to ensure compliance.

The British AAIB recommendation that flight simulator training programmes should include flying on standby instrumentation, should not be treated lightly. After all, that agency would know that this training is already in the approved syllabus of type ratings.

Reading between the lines, I suggest the AAIB is hinting that airline training managements should ensure increased priority be given to flying on standby flight instruments in the simulator.

Wally Mk2
3rd Jul 2010, 10:34
"TE" what you say pretty much goes for any plane but the 'bus' is one very stable platform if still in normal law or even Alt law but in Direct Law it's a lot more twitchy.
It's rare to have an A/C situation such as you describe here so it's a bit like having that skill (raw data flying) honed to near perfection for that one in a million chance that it's needed.I know the 'bus' training does invlove some basic ISIS (integrated) training as well as unreliable ASI handling but as for doing it on a reg basis I doubt any operator is going to make sure all flying staff are full bottle on it at a moments notice.
Today's modern transport jet is meant to be auto flown as much as possible & they are being designed as such so flight outside of that flight regime isn't something that's taught beyond basic training due it's rarity.
Still maybe that skill should be shown/executed on a more reg basis to help. Remember money keeps planes flying:)

Wmk2

12109BYLAS
22nd Aug 2011, 16:02
Hi Wally,
sometimes it's even of interest to read older postings. I found yours today, after studying the latest issue of the accident report of AF447, which made me really creepy.
Would you write your reply in the same way today?
Of course, money keeps planes flying. But you shouldn't imply, it can (ever?) replace airmanship. I'm not an airline-pilot (just cpl-me-ir), and in my life I never worried to enter a plane, especially an airliner operated by reputable company. But this unbelievable occurence may have changed my attitude by destroying a solid sense of basic trust.

Safety is NOT negotiable! Just my billion$ thoughts...

airdualbleedfault
23rd Aug 2011, 00:22
12109, this thread is about flight on sby instruments, I have'nt read the latest on AF 447 but they were'nt on sby instruments per se, they would have had primary attitude indication with numerous warnings going regarding bad pitot inputs to the FACs, but not a dark cockpit as their problems were not related to loss of electrics.
It's very easy to sit in my armchair and criticise but all those boys had to do was set the thrust back to where it was and pretty much nothing else initially, of course this would not be the case if they hit sever turb. Unreliable airspeed is a big deal in the Bus and in my opinion way too much time is spent on emerg elec and dual hyd failures which are a 1 in a million occurence.