PDA

View Full Version : British Open

fokkerjet
2nd Jul 2010, 22:57
I'm flying into Leuchars (EGQL), for the British Open, and wondering if anybody has any prior experience flying in for the Open and what we can expect? I've been briefed on the airport operating hours, and from what I understand, we will have to be shuttled 15 miles to the rental car agency. Is fuel the only services we can expect; i.e. no lav or catering available? Any idea on driving distance / times between Leuchars and Edinburgh?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Daifly
3rd Jul 2010, 10:13
Leuchars is one of the UK's main Air Force fighter jet bases, so it's not really teed up (pardon the pun...) for handling bizjets, but obviously it's so near to St Andrews that it makes sense for the Open.

As an Air Force base, you're going to be low on services, fuel will be available but you're unlikely to get a lav/water service and very unlikely to get catering (without a fair bit of effort with a local hotel). The hire car thing is probably a trip into Dundee I'd imagine.

If money's no object, I'd probably relocate the aircraft to Edinburgh (it's about an hour's drive by the way) where you can get it cleaned, serviced and pick up the catering before positioning over to Leuchars for the departure.

NuName
3rd Jul 2010, 12:05
Check the insurance requirement.

fokkerjet
3rd Jul 2010, 13:49
That's kind of what I figured. Thanks for the info. :ok: