PDA

View Full Version : SAAF takes over TITAN operation in George

Corporate1
1st Jul 2010, 13:47
Just heard rumour that two SAAF Oryx helicopters with some major players, (as in politicians and senior officers), landed at Titan helicopter operations base in George this morning and told eveyone to go home and that they are taking over. Annyone know more?

Goffel
1st Jul 2010, 17:00
Apparently true.......the SAAF apparently also took over Red X contract in Kimberly as well.

How they are managing this without AOC, makes one wander which politician is driving a new car.

pookie1
1st Jul 2010, 17:27
Very interesting! Anyone heard anything further?

Apart from any legal issues that this may raise, it must have some serious consequences for Titan. The PetroSA contract is one of their main operations.

It is going to be very interesting to see how this develops.....

Africanair
1st Jul 2010, 19:38
How can the military take over a civilian contract?

Unless Titan has been unable to furfill it's obligations, but there are other civilian outfits that are in SA and able!

pollaprinsloo
1st Jul 2010, 20:53
This sounds weird. I know for firefighting in CT area the SAAF choppers would only be called out if no civilian ones were available. Reason is that the SAAF is not allowed to take money away from civilian companies being able to do the job. So this does not make any sense.

Fuzzi
2nd Jul 2010, 07:58
Anything more on this matter? What did the cotract entail and would it be suitable for a mil operator to do?

Corporate1
2nd Jul 2010, 10:11
Spoke to a couple of their pilots, apparently contract expired two days ago, everyone been dragging their heels to sign new contract, however, no warning from Petro SA about SAAF going to take over, just arrived at hanger and refused everyone entry....Not even CAA was in the loop. And so the rot begins......:ugh:

birrddog
2nd Jul 2010, 12:12
Oryx did a dry run to the rig yesterday as they had never landed at an offshore platform!

pookie1
2nd Jul 2010, 15:42
Another website is saying that the crew change was done although the pax did not want to board due to a question about insurance....

What is going to happen to the Titan staff employed on this contract?

EladElap
2nd Jul 2010, 15:44
Going to be interesting to see how the SAAF manage. There were some really experience Titan pilots flying down there. That contract has a near perfect safety record too... not really a good idea if the crew now operating this contract have little or no rig experience.

Africanair
3rd Jul 2010, 17:43
The question is not about the ability of the SAAF pilots or the ability of their machines, it's the principal of their political masters medaling in civilian opperations.
But hay, TIA....................................

maxrated
3rd Jul 2010, 20:30
If this is true that the military has effectively commandered a commercial civilian operation, its setting a worrying precident.

In which case what would prevent for example, 28 squadron arriving at ORTIA and taking over civvie cargo operation. Operating in competition to civilian company's with the advantage of having tax payer funded equipment, aircraft, fuel and aircrew.

Another question would be which dumb ass civilian company would actually give a commercial contract to the military, the legal/illegal implications of this are huge. Not least any insurance implications if anything went wrong.

I would be curious to know into who's account's the money trail follows.

Bingos
6th Jul 2010, 03:10
Just saw a newspaper clip in Afr paper, Beeld, written by Erika Gibson.

Govm claims potential piracy is a real threat to a National Interest and that is why the SAAF took over.

Seerowers is glo rede vir lugmag as vervoerdiens: Beeld: Suid-Afrika: Nuus (http://www.beeld.com/Suid-Afrika/Nuus/Seerowers-is-glo-rede-vir-lugmag-as-vervoerdiens-20100705)

:ugh::=:sad:

Cardinal Puff
6th Jul 2010, 09:10
Are we allowed to say "bollocks!" on Proon?

Bingos
7th Jul 2010, 06:14
Had a long discussion with a friend of mine that is in the Industry overseas last night, and the following came out......

1. The S61 carries 19 pax with luggage, vs the Oryx with 16 seats and no space for luggage. Now they have to take four seats out for luggage. That leaves 12 seats per sortie iow the SAAF must fly one sortie extra for each S61 sortie, when a full load is required. Normally quite a few times per week.

2. Due to the terr threat the Oryx must now carry at least four “Shooters” to protect the pax, nevermind the installation. That reduces the pax number to 8.

3. To make the Oryx any worthwhile weapon the choppers should be armed with a Twin Point Five each. That takes another four seats out. Now we only have four pax per Oryx sortie, ie five Oryx sorties per S61 sortie. Also remember to install the Point Fives so that one looks out the LH door on one Oryx and out the RH door on the other so that they can cover each other.

4. Remember that Recces should be appointed as the “Shooters”. The Recces should be the “Swim Recces” from the old Langebaan.....

Being a Go Getter myself, I have been involved in Court cases ......:E

NO Judgement is 100% predictable and clear cut.....Been there.....:ugh:

Even in an ABSURD piracy / terr related case like this, I hope they get a fair trail.....all depends on the Judge they get......

:D:D

Bingos
21st Jul 2010, 18:39
Rumour has it that Judgement was in Titan's favour today...... :E
Re-instated wef 26 July.

PetroSA NOT happy chappy.

:ok::D:D:D

I.R.PIRATE
22nd Jul 2010, 15:01
Fantastic news - stick it to the man!