PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 and Allergies

FlyEJF
1st Jul 2010, 08:19
Hello,

Can someone tell me whether a dust mite/cat allergy will mean a fail at the class 1 medical?

Thanks

Ed

despegue
1st Jul 2010, 10:27
No, it will not. But just in case, don't bring it up.

the dean
1st Jul 2010, 13:59
i had allergies for years and never mentioned it...:oh:....(but then i do'nt fly for a living but have a CPL and class 1) and one day they went away...so perhaps best not said (though strictly speaking i suppose you should conceal nothing)...:=

i suppose you have to look at ......a).... are you on medication for your allergic reactions. that would be important bacause some antihistamines could make you drowsy....some may not...( i am not a doctor but used several over the years)

furthermore...b) ....what kind of reactions do you get..??sneezing/running nose/streaming eyes....if the reaction was one that might affect your flying abilities...then it would be important to mention your allergic reaction....despite the possible consequences.....:eek:

maybe a medico on here would answer you to help to remove doubt. it might well be that the doc at the medical would consider your condition not to be a problem and might even suggest an antihistamine that the licencing authority would consider acceptable to a pilot for occasional use .....in which case you would feel better for not concealing anything.....:)

from my recollection, i was told that most people are allergic to house dust mites ....

always i think best err on the cautious side....

Raptor_
2nd Jul 2010, 07:32
You should have no trouble getting the Class 1 with a cat/dust mite allergy. But don't bring the cat while flying! As long as the allergy is under control and you don't have to use medicines for it constantly you won't have a problem. I would let the AME know though, it's better you tell them and be honest about it. Discuss it with your AME, he/she might even give you tips on what allergy medicine that can or cannot be used while flying.