PDA

View Full Version : Ntams - 64 Years

AussieO2
30th Jun 2010, 00:28
With the closure of the NTAMS, here is a list of aircraft that have been operated by them, memories anyone?
June 1946 to July 1954, Dragon, VH-ASK, ASL, AMN
July 1948 to July 1952, Gemini, VH-BLN
July 1952 to Sept 1961, Drover, VH-AZM, AZN, AZS
July 1955 to May 1977, Dove, VH-DHE, DHH, DHK, DHN, DHD, DHA
Dec 1974 to Dec 1977, Twin Otter, VH-TGF, TGG
Nov 1977 to 1996, Nomad, VH-DHF, DHO, DHP, DHQ, DHR, DHU
1996 to June 31, 2010, B200/C, VH-TNQ/NTS, KZL/NTG, SWO/NTH, SWP/NTE
It seems that Cessna 402C, VH-ROX, did a short stint from June to November 1977, (probably whilst DHC-6 under maintenance)

Moniker
30th Jun 2010, 01:08
yes, it's today - the end of an era.

To all those past and present staff - good job well done under sometimes exceptional and trying circumstances.

To the drivers good luck with where-ever you go next.

To the nurses - you have done a tremendous job.

To the bureaucrats: yeah, thanks - for nothing!

To the ops chaps and others - it has been a pleasure ...

Stationair8
30th Jun 2010, 06:55
NTAMS had at least one B200 based out of Darwin in the 1988.

A sad day for all those people involved, a lot of Skywest and Pearl pilots did their time on the Aeromed contract before progressing onto bigger and better aircraft.

captwawa
1st Jul 2010, 09:07
mmmm memories.
what has happened to the pilots they still at pearl?

Torres
1st Jul 2010, 20:58
VH-TGF, TGG - weren't they TAA Twin Otters?

Cessna 402C, VH-ROX - that aircraft certainly did the rounds over many years. Wonder if it is still flying or finally died?

Aye Ess
2nd Jul 2010, 03:42
Yes, Torres, VH-TGF,TGG were TAA twin Otters....I had no idea they did NTAMS service. Does anyone have some piccys of them?

Torres
2nd Jul 2010, 03:57
Many of the ex TAA Series 200 and 300 Twin Otters were sold to Talair and operated in PNG, the Pacific, Asia and Australia. I'm sure I remember VH-TGF but don't specifically recall VH-TGG. 'Chimbu Warrior' may remember?

I came across C402 VH-ROX a number of times in Australia, including in recent years. For some reason the registration sticks in my mind. May be wrong but I think it was originally a demonstrator and operated by Rex Aviation?

DHA-84 Dragon, VH-ASK was the second Australian built Dragon. Ex RAAF A34-13, VH-ASK appears to be the very first NTAMS aircraft and still exists today:
After being flown for test and performance purposes it was delivered 12/10/42 and on 02/43 to No. 6 Communications Flight ("Fenton's Flying Freighters") at Batchelor, NT. from where it flew about 700 hours. At about the end of the war it was overhauled by de Havilland at Mascot then was in storage at Evans Head when it was asked for to be the first aircraft for the Northern Territory Aerial Medical Service, being set up in Darwin by Jack Slade, who had operated it in 6 Comm. flt., for the Commonwealth Department of Health. Sold 24/05/46. It was converted to aerial ambulance configuration by de Havilland at Sydney in June - August 1946 and registered VH-ASK. It continued with NTAMS until replaced by a Drover on 4-1-1954. When sold by Dept of Health became VH-SNB. Mid-1950's flown in NSW in commercial category by owner/pilot Perry, then purchased by Rev. Les Nixon of Outback Patrol in July 1961 (in private category in passenger configuration) at Bankstown, and flown around 3000 hours in 14 years for mission work, inc. seven 3-month circumnavigations of the continent via Longreach, Mt. Isa, Darwin, Derby, Carnarvon, Perth, Albany, Esperance, Eucla, Ceduna, Adelaide, Moorabin and Bankstown. Several Bass Straight crossings to Tasmania and back. Sold from Camden to Baron William Roberts April 1974 for the Strathalan/Perth/Auchterauder Collection, UK, then acquired by the Museum of Flight, East Fortune, Scotland, on 14/07/81, and presently identified as VH-SNB, and occupies a place of renown in SNB livery located next to a Concorde.

http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac1/austa2/VH-ASK.jpg

DHA-84 Dragon, VH-ASL ex RAAF A34-31:
Delivered 14/12/42. Sold 14/06/46 and became VH-ASL. A34-31 was brought down from Darwin 14-8-1946 and, like A34-13, converted by DH. It was registered VH-ASL, returning to Darwin for the NTAMS on 5-9-1946. It operated from Darwin until transferred to Alice Springs from 1-1-1952 where it operated until replaced by Drover in January 1953, returning to Darwin until retired from NTAMS 27-7-1955. On 19-11-56 it was reregistered VH-SJW.

Courtesy of adf-serials.com.

http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac1/austa2/VH-ASL.JPG
As VH-ASL

http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac1/austmz/VH-SJW.jpg
VH-ASL as later VH-SJW, after an altercation with a fence in Queensland. It crashed and burned 15 August 1957 near Mount Douglas, Bullawallah Qld.

Courtesy of edcoatescollection.com

Miles Gemini VH-BLN:
http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac1/austb/VH-BLN2.jpg

http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac1/austb/VH-BLN.jpg

Archerfield mid 1960s.

Interesting.......... :)

Aye Ess
2nd Jul 2010, 04:41
Great history Torres. I knew TAA operated 300 series Twin Otters in PNG,then they were used to service island resorts off Qld coast. VH-TGF,TGG,TGH,TGI were sold to Bushies (aka Air Qld) end of 1980,to continue the resort flights,however,as to their use in NTMAS I have no knowledge.

maybegunnadoo
2nd Jul 2010, 05:42
CRO - C402 with STOL kit....a truely horrible plane.

Also

Bandierante LSE did some clinic runs in that when the 402 was bust.

TSI - C402...no STOL but a huge freon aircon in the nose which used up all the carrying capacity.

B200 from Broome (can't recall the callsign) which had the 13 seat conversion...worlds slowest kingair I believe still soldiering on in a flight inspection role....:}

Torres
2nd Jul 2010, 10:15
Aye Ess.

I knew TAA operated 300 series Twin Otters in PNG,...

I think TAA only ever operated 200 Series Twin Otters in PNG, including the Twin Otter that pranged at Kainantu. Air Niugini commenced in November 1972 when TAA and Ansett withdrew. Talair bought 200 Series and later 300 Series Otters from TAA, which Talair operated in PNG with P2-RD.. series registrations.

But that is almost 40 years ago. The mind dims........ :{

Jamair
2nd Jul 2010, 11:29
TSI..... Skytramps picked it up from PNG after a "PNG-SIDS" and it spent several months in CS being fixed :rolleyes:, then went into general CHTR and even did the occasional RPT before Skytramps dumped the 'light' fleet in 2008. TSI went to Hinters where I believe it is still working. Was a good bus once sorted - and the aircon worked a treat once the workshop replaced pretty much all the hoses in the whole system.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p271/jamair_photos/IMG_0637.jpg

hurlingham
2nd Jul 2010, 21:04
TAA provided pilots and engineers to NTAMS for a period - I can only assume that is why the Otters were used.

Aye Ess
2nd Jul 2010, 21:10
Torres,

Yes,thinking about it now,I can't recall ever seeing a 300 Twin Otter in TAA colours in PNG. So, the 4 TAA Twin Otters were used for Qld resort flights with the exception of a stint with NTMAS.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
3rd Jul 2010, 00:47
I was at Gove from late 1987 and I'm pretty sure the B200 VH-TNQ was operating out of Darwin then.

Minosavy Masta
3rd Jul 2010, 00:55
Just a point of order Torres...Air Niugini commenced Nov 73 not 72 :)

ANCIENT
3rd Jul 2010, 06:56
TGG and TGF were sent to Darwin following cyclone Tracy. The Doves were grounded for a short time due 4 of them being in the hangar at the time Tracy went over and when the hangar doors came off the doves got entangled.
The two Otters remained with NTAMS until the N24 arrived and started replacing the Doves. Had the pleasure of being there and flying all three types. Dove was my favourite.

Aye Ess
3rd Jul 2010, 07:01
Thanks Ancient,

So I guess the Twin otters were there on lease/charter from TAA & were operated in TAA colours rather than painted in NTMAS livery.

Torres
3rd Jul 2010, 07:58
Just a point of order Torres...Air Niugini commenced Nov 73 not 72

What is one year after 37 years, mostly in another century, for a long long lapun like me? :{

But you are correct, PX was spawned in November 1973, not 1972. :ok:

ANCIENT
3rd Jul 2010, 22:21
The Otters remained in the TAA colour scheme of the time, not sure about arrangements. TAA held the NTAMS contract for 27 years until 1978 when it was decreed that it should go out to open tender. TAA put in a bid but a local company got it. It was rumoured at the time that there was a connection between the company and the family of chief minister!
TAA pilots were able to apply for 2 year postings to DARWIN, ALICE or GOVE base and the engineers were mostly permanent. The Darwin engineers also handled the airlines scheduled flights.

PLovett
3rd Jul 2010, 22:42
Thanks for the early photos Torres. Note that, as usual, the pilot has taken the lighter end of the stretcher being carried to the aircraft and left the heavier end to the nurse. :}

PA39
4th Jul 2010, 08:12
C402 - VH-ROX..... fuse sitting atop a container at Caloundra. Stripped for bits (parted out for scrap) A Dr owned it and overhauled the engines but wasn't sure the very high time airframe was worth putting them in. It was in need of a complete refurbish at that time (approx 12 yrs ago now i guess) needed paint/interior/screens and radio upgrade. SIDS put the final nail in its coffin. Poor old girl. I checked the logs out for the Dr and she had been everywhere and owned by everyone, and had a very interesting life.

captwawa
5th Jul 2010, 11:10
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=278746&id=528371770

Old TNQ - which turned in to NTS i think