PDA

View Full Version : Help needed - DH.125 photos

Art Smass
30th Jun 2010, 00:18
Hi all

Looking for some help please with a personal project.

I am seeking a photograph of DH.125 C/n 25007 as either HB-VAH or F-BKMF.
This aircraft was sadly written-off on 5 June 1966 at Nice in France.

If anyone can help please pm me:ok:

thanks

AS

sycamore
30th Jun 2010, 12:57
Tried `airliners.net ?

Art Smass
30th Jun 2010, 20:38
Yes I have tried all the major internet photo sites in vain.

But thanks for the suggestion:ok:

EGGP
1st Jul 2010, 13:20
Have you tried the Nortwest Air news bulletin board? The predecessors of that group covered the Hawarden airfield where the factory is. One of them may have a photo.

twochai
2nd Jul 2010, 04:09
I have a vague recollection of a DH125 being written off at Cannes Mandelieu Airport, just west of Nice, during that period. IIRC it had a 4000'+/- runway at that time, which was just a few feet shorter than necessary for the 125 in the circumstances prevailing at the time!

Art Smass
2nd Jul 2010, 07:37
Twochai

Yes - this is the aircraft that crashed at Nice - it actually went into the sea during its performance at the Nice airshow, after exceeding the design load limits on the wing.

AS

Art Smass
2nd Jul 2010, 07:41
EGGP

Good suggestion - do you by any chance have a link?

Many years ago in another life I contributed EGNR stuff to NWAN - and I recall the old EGGP mag fondly

AS

EGGP
2nd Jul 2010, 12:17
This is the link to the forum. Hawarden has it's own page but seems to be more current,activity,the nostalgia section may get a better response.

North West Air News - Home (http://derbosoft.proboards.com/index.cgi)?

eggp

EGGP
2nd Jul 2010, 12:22
Twochai

Yes - this is the aircraft that crashed at Nice - it actually went into the sea during its performance at the Nice airshow, after exceeding the design load limits on the wing.

AS

Another suggestion-was it a manufacturer display? in which case BAE/ raytheon may have some info in their company archives.

eggp

merlinxx
2nd Jul 2010, 13:29
Ask Barry Lloyd (Pruner) to dig into is ex Co. data, he was on the sales team for the 125:ok:

twochai
2nd Jul 2010, 15:32
Another suggestion-was it a manufacturer display?

My memory at this point is quite vague, but I do seem to recollect it was a customer aircraft flown by an HS pilot, or perhaps a distributor's pilot. Does Air Affaires ring a bell to anybody??

wub
2nd Jul 2010, 17:04
Accident report:

ASN Aircraft accident de Havilland DH-125-1 F-BKMF Nice-Côte d'Azur Airport (NCE) (http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19660605-0)

Art Smass
2nd Jul 2010, 22:33
Yes - it was the customer (Air Affaires) flying in the dispay. This was the first fatal accident involving the 125.

Hopefully BArry Lloyd will see this thread and get in touch - thanks Merlinxx

Thanks also for the link to NWAN

AS

ANW
7th Jul 2010, 08:05
A quick check of archived 125 slides reveals a few of F-BKMF. One at Paris air show 19 June 1965 wearing the red tail livery of Chartag.

Chartag's first 125 was HB-VAG 25006. HB-VAH 25007 was to be their second 125, but was delivered to Air Affairs and re-registered F-BKMF.

25007 was HB-VAH for a very short time, probably only days. I have a couple of black/white negs of 25007 as G-ASTY.

Art Smass
8th Jul 2010, 10:26
Thanks for replying ANW - have sent you a PM

cheers

AS

berksboy26
3rd Aug 2010, 20:40
I was a 20yr old DH (engine company) apprentice on the experimental testbeds at Hatfield when the remains of the Nice 125 were bought into the annex hanger for investigation.
I remember aircraft company apprentices assisting with its reconstruction and relating tales of the gorry flightdeck contents - or was that just to impress me?
The wreckage of the Trident 1 deep stall accident over Norfolk was also bought there and my overriding impression was of the total destruction of the nose section - it appeared to be have been reduced to approx 18" in height - shocking and very sad.

Eric R
6th Nov 2015, 23:27
Just happened to see the DH-125 F-BKMF Air Affaires thread. I was at the Nice show on June 3, 1966 and took a pic of this DH-125. This pic also shows Air Affaires personnel. On June 5, 1966 I happened to be on the beach at the end of the runway when it went overhead, exploded and plunged into the Med. I had to run for my camera and took a slightly belated pic of the sad event. This pic has been zoomed in using PhotoShop. I remember that the original pic taken showed a Viscount well ahead and traveling from left to right relative to the DH-125 and this likely precipitated the desire to make the sharp turn.

I have the above two pics digitized. However, I do not know how to put them on this thread.

Eric R
2nd Aug 2016, 01:28
As a follow up post on DH-125 F-BKMF, I submitted two pictures to aviation-safety.net on this subject in 2016.