PDA

View Full Version : Darwin Aviation Club

DonC
29th Jun 2010, 23:34
Anyone know the status of the above

VH-XXX
29th Jun 2010, 23:52
Emkaytee is where it's all happening these days from what I hear...

YELOSUB
30th Jun 2010, 22:51
no Darwin aviation club at emkaytee. there is the top end flying club though( ultralights)

DonC
30th Jun 2010, 23:41
I know about MKT, it was the old club near the airport I was interested in - Tinpis maybe?

Stationair8
1st Jul 2010, 00:00
Do you mean Darwin Aero Club?

If so, it closed down a few years ago when the CFI retired.

Or are you referring to the airport drinking establishment known as the "institute"?

RENURPP
1st Jul 2010, 00:12
I suspect you mean the "Aviation Institute", it pretty much died with the demise of Adrian, the bar tender/manager back in about 1995 (from memory). Was a fun night there on friday nights. The Loyds/Bristows, whoever it was supplied a band, a large percentage of the aviation community would spend friday nioghts there with regular closing around 3am. Lucky there was no DAMP back then I suspect.

Post 1995 you could buy lunch there and it was open at night, however very few continued to go there.

Howabout
1st Jul 2010, 00:37
The original Darwin Aviation Club, or 'DAC Club,' was situated in a large shed (for want of a better word) behind the old 'civil airfield' hangars opposite Ross Smith Avenue. If you look at Google Maps, the DAC Club was located on Lot 14 on MacDonald St. It was part of the original aviation infrastructure in Darwin probably dating from the '20s.

Back in the old days the aviation community held film nights there and bbqs and the blokes, most of them gone now, shared a few beers. I was just a kid but remember it well.

It burned down (likely torched) in'65 (I think) and was never rebuilt.

bizbug182
12th Jul 2010, 13:24
far from just ultralights at the top end flying club take a look in the hangar called the toy box

C150,C182,C206,yak52,rotorway,r22,r44and C402B

ampk
6th May 2011, 02:41
At Emkaytee you will find the airstrip is sealed and an Avgas bowser.
Rumour has it the boys had a little too much to drink back in August and now The Toy Box houses an "Antonov AN 2", they say The Toy Box was always designed to fit an AN 2 less the fuel vent - coincidently.

Waghi Warrior
6th May 2011, 05:05
Aviation Institute !

Many a nights spent there years ago, sad to hear it's gone down hill.

Where's the bar that the local aerosexuals hang out now ?

Last time I was down there I stayed at the Darwin Airport Resort I think it was called, about 3 minutes walk from the DOM terminal. That's got a good bar and the prices and the tucker wasn't to bad either.

ampk
6th May 2011, 08:05
A few go to the Airport Resort from time to time but I think the old AI days in Darwin are long gone! Bring back Adrian - legend bartender..

tinpis
7th May 2011, 00:12
Really never was a "social bar " in Darwhine the likes of say the Dero in Cairns or Bushies bar.