PDA

View Full Version : FAA Medical Validity

FlyingGasMain
29th Jun 2010, 12:21
Hi there,

Wonder if anyone can help - I'm trying to find out if a Class 1 FAA Medical is required for flying privately owned bizjets. Some of the literature I've read suggests that only a Class 2 is required.

I'm looking at the situation where a pilot has a Class 1 Medical, which has expired, but it carries on working as a Class 2 Medical for a while.

Any help much appreciated !

FGM

MarkerInbound
30th Jun 2010, 02:19
In FAA land, the grade of medical required is a function of the grade of certificate required. For a biz jet, if the operator "holds out" and performs "common carriage" which means they'll take anyone who pays, the PIC must hold an ATP and therefore requires a First Class medical. Say you own a Hawker 125 and have a crew working for you. But the plane only flys you and your employees and not just anyone off the street. Since the PIC is being paid, he is required to have a COMM and therefore must have a Second Class. Now say you own the plane and fly it yourself carrying friends around and just share expenses. All you need is a PVT and therefore just a Third Class medical.

FlyingGasMain
30th Jun 2010, 08:07
Thanks for the replies.

So if you had a pilot with an FAA ATP and a Bermudan validation on the back of it, but his Class 1 medical has expired, could he still carry on flying a VP- registered aircraft (private flying) on the basis of his continuing Class 2 medical privileges ?

My view is probably yes, but I'm not entirely sure !

CL300
30th Jun 2010, 11:37
Someone who has an FAA ATPL should be able to answer this question, except if he/she had a quicky check.
Marker inbound wrote it clearly; medical is tied to the type of ops; if flying PAYING passengers ( common carriage) on a airplane that needs ATPL for Pic, need First class valid; If being paid for flying ,non-paying pax ( as your boss), or involved in ops (like your M or VP reg) need Commercial privileges therefor 2nd Class medical.
If flying your own BBJ, a third class medical is enough...even on your ATP license