PDA

View Full Version : Borghetti Swoops

Pages : [1] 2

PammyAnderson
29th Jun 2010, 08:30
Virgin chief swoops on Qantas executives (http://www.smh.com.au/business/virgin-chief-swoops-on-qantas-executives-20100628-zf71.html)

As many have said, I think the old Q board who know everything may regret skipping over the B man.

Apparently a few more in the village have been given there good byes too.

Fliegenmong
29th Jun 2010, 10:12
Well who'd have thunk it hey???:rolleyes::hmm:

3 Holer
29th Jun 2010, 10:17
Watch those Virgin shares take - off now! ;)

inandout
29th Jun 2010, 10:30
Ya right, don't you watch the news. The DD is coming and that unfortunately will slow it's rise. Time once again to take stock.

MrApproach
29th Jun 2010, 10:50
I thought the Singapore veto expired this year. Godfrey announced last year that the brands could merge in 2010.

Skystar320
29th Jun 2010, 23:42
I have no hope for reporters these days

"DJ shares dropped 0.5 to $0.30"

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

3 Holer
30th Jun 2010, 02:45
Give'em time, give'em time. These guys haven't even warmed their corporate seats yet! :D

rescue 1
30th Jun 2010, 07:55
Any truth to VA been finished [as a stand alone company]?

Heard been wound into a single VB AOC?

air command
30th Jun 2010, 08:48
I think there is some truth in what you are saying rescue 1.
Another very senior executive got the chop today.... well sort of (finishes up in December). He came out this arvo with a statement to staff, that his remaining time will be focussed on integrating V and VB into one airline.
As for the AOC, I wouldn't imagine so.... but JB is turning the place upside down, so anything is possible!

Rudder
30th Jun 2010, 09:02
Time to sell the VB shares. If I wanted shares in a legacy airline, which is what JB and his EX QF mates have experience in and will turn VB into, I would have bought QF shares.

I always thought he was the wrong choice and it is just being confirmed.

Sunstar320
30th Jun 2010, 09:32
Yeah...?? Or is VA staying

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2007/photorelease/q1/070320c_lg.jpg

rmm
30th Jun 2010, 10:01
Borghetti announces new Virgin exec team (http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-business/borghetti-announces-new-virgin-exec-team-20100630-zmkn.html)

Borghetti announces new Virgin exec team
JORDAN CHONG
June 30, 2010 - 7:29PM

AAP

Virgin Blue Holdings Ltd is to bring its loss-making,long-haul offshoot V Australia within the main airline group, under a string of changes announced on Wednesday by chief executive John Borghetti.

He has also given one person responsibility for both network and revenue management under changes to the airline's executive team.

Other changes include the creation of a new group executive for product and guest services and a new group executive for government relations.
Advertisement: Story continues below

The airline group comprises Virgin Blue, Pacific Blue, Polynesian Blue and V Australia.

Under the new structure, Andrew David will be group executive of operations with responsibility for Virgin Blue's Australian operations and V Australia.

The change means V Australia will no longer sit as a separate entity but instead would be integrated within the Virgin Blue group.

The changes were announced to senior managers and staff on Wednesday in a statement by Mr Borghetti.

V Australia, which flies from Australia to South Africa, Thailand, the US and Fiji, commenced operations in March 2009 but is yet to move into profitability.

In February, Virgin Blue's then chief executive Brett Godfrey said he expected V Australia to be profitable by September this year.

But analysts have expressed doubt that V Australia will meet that target, given the airline's stunning profit downgrade last month when it said there had been a rapid deterioration in international and domestic leisure markets.

Liz Savage will be group executive commercial, responsible for sales, marketing, revenue management and network management.

Previously, different people had responsibility for revenue management and network management at the airline group.

The new group executive for product and guest services, Martin Daley, will give customers "a seat at the table" among Virgin Blue's executive ranks, the company says.

Jane McKeon, who was formerly head of government relations at domestic rival Qantas Airways Ltd, will take up the second new position, group executive for government relations

Mr Borghetti, a former Qantas senior executive, has hired a number of former Qantas employees recently as he seeks a larger share of the corporate market and diversify Virgin Blue's revenue base.

"We know we're going to remain a carrier that is focused on the leisure end, but it is going to be a carrier that is providing an alternative to the business traveller and we will be playing at both ends of the spectrum," Mr Borghetti said on June 8.

Virgin Blue stock closed down one cent, or 3.28 per cent, at 29.5 cents.

The airline also said passenger numbers across the network, but excluding Polynesian Blue, rose by 4.6 per cent in May compared with a year ago.

The number of international passengers was up 13.3 per cent, while domestic passengers rose 3.3 per cent.

© 2010 AAP

noip
30th Jun 2010, 11:02
Rudder,

Sorry ... "Legacy Airline" is a marketing term invented to make "Low Cost Carriers" look good. Nothing more, Nothing less. There is nothing "Old" or "Progressive" about either.

Full Service, and Low Cost carriers cater to different markets.

I suspect JB is about to make the QF board rue the day they passed him over.

N

PPRuNeUser0198
30th Jun 2010, 11:15
I have a question; where is JB going to raise all this capital to invest in end-to-end product in-order to compete with Qantas? I'm not sure on their cash position and I'd certainly challenge their ability to meet cost of capital aka service their debt (if there is any lenders prepared to give) the millions they're going to need to re-vamp their product? I'm not sure too many investors will be willing to fund considering their return on investment is haemorrhaging.

I'm not sure in DJ's investment grade but I would assume it's not top tier...

ANstar
30th Jun 2010, 16:22
So does this mean Swift is gone/going too?

Sand dune Sam
30th Jun 2010, 23:00
T-VASI, I wouldnt be too concerned, I'm sure between Branson and the executive team the capital will be available. The other thing which seems to be overlooked is VB's cost base being lower than QF's by about 20%.

To me, if VB offer a business class at a cost of 20% less than QF's business class, then it should be a product capable of a descent yeild for VB.

Rudder
30th Jun 2010, 23:41
Noip,

Sorry... Beg to differ.. it has nothing to do with marketing. It has to do with background and the competitive environment they came out of. QANTAS came out of a very effective two airline environment as a full service operator. It is a legacy operator. And JB was there a very long time.

Even QANTAS realised they couldn't change and compete as themselves effectively and hence Jetstar with a very different service offering and culture. The two don't mix. QANTAS is high cost and will tell you that they are high quality although "personally" I think VB has it all over them.

I still stand by the fact that these people come out of a completely different service offering and culture and it is time to sell the shares.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

chockchucker
30th Jun 2010, 23:42
if VB offer a business class at a cost of 20% less than QF's business class, then it should be a product capable of a descent yeild for VB

I think that's a very big IF. Assuming they want to offer a equal or better overall product. If they wish to chase the top end of town, Virgin will have to invest in infrastucture to do so. Thus adding to their cost base.

KRUSTY 34
1st Jul 2010, 00:25
And, I'm afraid to say they may have to rid themselves of all their loss making entities. :sad:

Taildragger67
1st Jul 2010, 06:06
Sunstar320,

That all-red get-up suits 737s and E-jets, but on a 773...

:yuk:

Maybe 'Virgin Pacific' might be a better tie-in name-wise with 'Virgin Atlantic' and also indicate that ops are widespread around the Pacific...

Trimmed_Flaps
1st Jul 2010, 07:02
History dictates that normally following a change of CEO there will be a blood bath amongst the middle management.

Flaps

inandout
1st Jul 2010, 07:44
Forget the red they are going WHITE and new name is :mad:

Mr. Hat
1st Jul 2010, 10:55
white, gee thats original. Come on surely they'll do something that stands out. Look around the world there are some great liveries. LAN Chile looks pretty cool.

Mach2point7
1st Jul 2010, 11:52
air command

is the "very senior executive" S Swift ?

1st Jul 2010, 12:05
No,

But the Fin Review reported Swift as "reviewing his options".

My reading of that is that Swift is "clearing his desk"

The senior executive mentioned is Andrew David. He has already written his obituary to the troops, so you can take that one to the bank. SS is unconfirmed at this stage, but the fat lady is clearing her throat.

maccaj73
1st Jul 2010, 16:04
How about "Virgin Australia" to combine all the carriers into one!

VX "Virgin America" color scheme in the states looks great! (Excellent airline aswell, DJ could learn alot from them!)

dizzylizzy
2nd Jul 2010, 03:52
Having experienced the VX product in 'First Class', I must say the customer experience was great from checkin through to the lounge, then onboard. Certainly made 'every moment count'.

Though it was noted for lounge use it was $30USD on top of the ticket price & was shared with Virgin Atlantic.

campdoag
2nd Jul 2010, 04:30
Has anyone seen the new uniform yet???

Bright red tie I heard......

GAFA
2nd Jul 2010, 06:12
Colours have been worked out and no red tie.

Dixons-son
2nd Jul 2010, 07:22
And what would they be?

SilverSleuth
2nd Jul 2010, 07:26
GAFA wrote: colours have been worked out and no red tie.

Colours have NOT been selected at all. There are about 5 colour proposals at present which will be narrowed down and shown to crew for input/opinion in months to come before a decision is made. Don't expect to see anything till feb/march next year.

The Green Goblin
2nd Jul 2010, 07:30
Would be good to get a cap :ok:

Mr. Hat
2nd Jul 2010, 07:53
Lot of talk about rationalising routes etc. Will PB drivers keep their jobs?

Going Boeing
2nd Jul 2010, 08:48
Would be good to get a cap

As long as there is a handle attached to make it easier to carry. :)

neville_nobody
2nd Jul 2010, 13:50
VX "Virgin America" color scheme in the states looks great! (Excellent airline aswell, DJ could learn alot from them!)

Yeah great to fly on, not so sure you want to work there.

If they align the international products with Atlantic and the domestic product with Virgin America I think you will have a very good international global airline.

Cypher
2nd Jul 2010, 17:24
Will PB drivers keep their jobs?

Why wouldnt they keep their jobs?!

Make VB take on Qantas.. keep PB against Jet*..
Two can play at the two companies game....

Cactusjack
2nd Jul 2010, 23:19
So does this mean Swift is gone/going too?

Yep, gooooooooooone. Not yet official though. (this is only rumour of course).

The 'blood letting' is not yet finished and I will have more 'rumours' to report in the upcoming weeks.Suffice to say is that JB is finally putting the axe through Brett's boys club who have steadily steered the place into a shipwreck. There are still a number of cockroaches scurrying around looking to hide in the cracks and shadows however John and his can of Moretein are coming,so watch out parasites !!

VBPCGUY
3rd Jul 2010, 00:51
I love your posts CJ:ok:

1a sound asleep
3rd Jul 2010, 01:00
www.virginaustralia.com.au (http://www.virginaustralia.com.au)

Trademark ATMOSS - Australian Trade Mark Online Search System (http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/atmoss/falcon_details.show_tm_details?p_tm_number=1344456&p_search_no=2&p_ExtDisp=D&p_detail=DETAILED&p_rec_no=6&p_rec_all=6)

Trade Mark : 1344456
Word: VIRGIN AUSTRALIA Image: Lodgement Date: 09-FEB-2010Registration Due: 10-DEC-2010Date of Acceptance: 08-APR-2010Acceptance Advertised: 10-JUN-2010

Owner/s:Virgin Enterprises Limited The School House 50 Brook Green London W6 7RR UNITED KINGDOMAddress for Service:Addisons Lawyers GPO Box 1433 SYDNEY NSW 2001 AUSTRALIA

GAFA
3rd Jul 2010, 02:08
SilverSleuth,

The Ejet pilots were given an update from their manager 2 weeks ago. In the update the 4 colours have been chosen and they are working on the final design and were asking for crew imput on the design not colours. The update also included the changes to crew meals (and cabin meals).

The word from those that have had a meeting with JB is no manager's job is safe.

Taildragger67
5th Jul 2010, 02:58
1A,

Interesting little note at the bottom of that site, given the "Virgin Australia" trademark appears to be owned by an entity sharing a UK address with a plethora of other "Virgin" entities:

Public Notice: VIRGIN AUSTRALIA PTY. LTD. ACN; 051117401 is an Australian owned company, founded in March 1991 in accordance with all Australian Government and Corporate Laws. Virgin Australia wishes to make it clear, that it does not want to be confused or associated with Sir Richard Branson’s - Virgin group of companies.

Skystar320
6th Jul 2010, 00:42
Former CEO Mr G has today resigned from DJ effective immediately.

Long John Silver
6th Jul 2010, 01:45
So whats the latest with route consolidation? Is there going to be a retraction in flying for a little while, or just re-direction?

Still lots of recruitment going on so I'm guessing more of a re-direction?...

VBPCGUY
6th Jul 2010, 05:08
The man is a gun and his roadshow was fantastic he has alot of passion and a good sense of where he wants VB to go, the future is very bright, Im a tad excited:ok:

teggun
6th Jul 2010, 05:13
So whats his direction and where does he want to go?

The Green Goblin
6th Jul 2010, 06:54
IMO it's the greatest error of QFs recent history letting JB go. If he had of stayed I reckon QF would have become a real player in the premium market and those 777s would have finally arrived.

Now watch the VB group fulfill that void.

The future will be bright with VB indeed :ok:

standard unit
6th Jul 2010, 07:09
IMO it's the greatest error of QFs recent history letting JB go. If he had of stayed I reckon QF would have become a real player in the premium market and those 777s would have finally arrived.

Yes, which is why he was at odds with the QF board, Dixon and Gregg etc as he had a vision for QF's future beyond atrophy.

He literally had to go.

The future according to these fools was/is, orange. :yuk:

VBPCGUY
6th Jul 2010, 09:49
Just basics, it will be a two class cabin going forward a 'proper' full service Business class seperated from economy, new uniforms across all employee groups, and massive attempt to bring a good consistant product no matter where you fly with the VB group of airlines, which in my opinion is VB's biggest down fall, right from the type of boarding pass you get in MEL compared to say ADL.

Terminal/lounge refurbs in BNE/MEL and SYD, BNE starts in around four weeks time, carpet will be gone bar the boarding gates, the rest will be titled, major Lounge refurbs in BNE/MEL and a tweaking of the SYD lounge as it has only just recently be reopened.

Widebodies currently being looked at and are before the board but pretty much confirmed its going to happen and has to happen for the main reason being slots into SYD, Turboprops were mentioned but not as high on the agenda as widebodies at this stage.

Pretty much the leisure market is still very important and that wont change, he really is hungry to grow the business market and to double the membership of the Velocity FF program which is currently at around 2M members where as QF have around 8M members.

That pretty much sums it up.

KRUSTY 34
6th Jul 2010, 10:30
As far as "Wide-bodies" go, I'm assuming 767 or A330, or even perhaps 787 (down the track). Another Type, More dissimilar rated pilots/training/cycles, and simulators. Another set of spares inventories, more type ratings for engineers, more engineers?

I'm not saying it isn't possible, or even not necessary for that matter in order to compete with QF, but the money will have to come from somewhere. Where will the axe fall? :sad:

PPRuNeUser0198
6th Jul 2010, 10:45
QF would have become a real player in the premium market and those 777s would have finally arrived.

Yet, premium traffic on Qantas is back to pre GFC levels and improving...I think that makes Qantas a 'player' in the market mate.

The 777 does not suit Qantas's operations, otherwise they'd have them...

F111
6th Jul 2010, 12:45
Kristy,

I would say over half of DJs engineers are 767 rated.

piston broke again
6th Jul 2010, 13:11
T-V, that must be wind up...That's the funninest thing I've heard in ages. 777's not suiting QF? My sides are so sore...

The Green Goblin
6th Jul 2010, 13:14
The 777 does not suit Qantas's operations, otherwise they'd have them...

It would suit it better than the gear they have now, especially if they need to reduce capacity on a route or open up new ones etc.

But growth in mainline is not the rats agenda.

If they bought the 777 they would admit they were wrong and would be held accountable for not purchasing it to begin with.

http://www.qantasvirtual.info/communities/3/004/007/204/263/images/4528926189.jpg

SIGH

SilverSleuth
6th Jul 2010, 14:17
I think just about everyone in the aviation community (except the the Q board members from the last 10 years) realise the 777 would have suited the Q network more than any other airframe. But hey, I am sure they know best :D

73to91
6th Jul 2010, 21:54
SilverSleuth in turn, makes a good point and so, what is the role of the board? A quick search shows many items and the common theme regarding the role and they are: "The primary responsibility of the board of directors is to protect the shareholders' assets (http://beginnersinvest.about.com/cs/investinglessons/l/blreturnonasset.htm) and ensure they receive a decent return (http://beginnersinvest.about.com/cs/investinglessons/l/blreturnequity.htm) on their investment." and "It is the board's job to select, evaluate, and approve appropriate compensation for the company's chief executive officer (CEO), evaluate the attractiveness of and pay dividends (http://beginnersinvest.about.com/od/dividendsdrips1/a/aa040904.htm), recommend stock splits (http://beginnersinvest.about.com/cs/investing101/f/wtisstocksplit.htm), oversee share repurchase programs (http://beginnersinvest.about.com/cs/newinvestors/a/060401a.htm), approve the company's financial statements (http://beginnersinvest.about.com/od/investinglessons/), and recommend or strongly discourage acquisitions and mergers (http://beginnersinvest.about.com/od/investstrategiesstyles/a/070404.htm). "

You'd have to ask and this could lead to perhaps another topic, has the QF board protected the shareholders (gee a couple of years back they were protecting themselves and the former CEO!!)

Perhaps the ego of the former CEO was such, that he could simply not accept the vision spelt out by John B because of, well, the ego?

Jimmy BowTie is the one board member who has been on the board for perhaps too long now.

ANCDU
7th Jul 2010, 03:07
Is Qantas's loss that JB has gone, but i think it will finally provide some competition and indeed some money finally spent on Qantas and not J*, this is already being seen on the new interiors and IFE on the new domestic A330's and 738's. I think in the end it will actually be a positive for Qantas and especially its customers. Competition is a good thing!:ok:

Hopefully this finally puts VB on some kind of direction, and hopefully you guys don't have one of JB's not so great ideas.....That stupid "Center of Excellence"! And please....no more caps!!!!

Cactusjack
7th Jul 2010, 04:34
Skystar320,

Former CEO Mr G has today resigned from DJ effective immediately

Great news indeed. But he will be still lurking in the shadows picking up a consultancy fee for the odd phone hook-up and two cents worth of input which will be ignored anyway . But thats the system of executive management isnt it ?

Green Goblin,

IMO it's the greatest error of QFs recent history letting JB go.

True to a certain point. But the reason JB didnt land the top job at QF was due to a lack of strength in the area of operations .
If you were to use a basic illustration of ‘dividing an airline in half’ he is a master of corporate strategy and direction, he will really fix up VB in this area, but on an operational front he is a little weaker. He has ‘received advice’to fix operations urgently but is dithering a little and placing greater emphasis on corporate structure and direction first. The longer that operational issues are not addressed means the longer that some ‘key people’ are let loose to wreck more havoc and damage on to the business. JB needs to restructure quickly and kick out all the grubs, incompetents and leaches that are still bleeding precious blood from VB.Every day under the management of these fools means another day of profit loss.
Tick Tock John, the clock is ticking..........

Last week was a joke in The Village. The 'Dedication Of 10 Years Service' for some incompetents could have been an opportunity to show them the door instead and rename the flair filled party as "Dedication To Closing The Door On 10 Years Of Incompetence And Mismanagement" !

PPRuNeUser0198
7th Jul 2010, 12:33
T-V, that must be wind up...That's the funninest thing I've heard in ages. 777's not suiting QF? My sides are so sore...

Thanks - I thought you'd like it...

Gingerbread
8th Jul 2010, 07:23
And now . . . making her way to the Village . . . people . . . is our Sue. She does know a thing or two about how to deal with unions and can do a deal. Let's see how it all fits.

standard unit
8th Jul 2010, 12:24
Sue Bussell- Ex QF HR GM??

VBPCGUY
8th Jul 2010, 12:37
Looks like its that Sue, geez whatever JB thinks is good at QF he is taking:ok:

biton
8th Jul 2010, 12:58
What does this mean for vb? Was she at the helm of the QF HR department during the negotiation process for the last engineering and flight crew EBAs or was that someone else?

Cactusjack
8th Jul 2010, 12:59
Looks like its that Sue, geez whatever JB thinks is good at QF he is takinghttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif
Its called 'picking the eyes' out of Qantas ! Things are pretty heavy at DJ if John brings in a toe cutter. Hope she brings a mighty big broom and lots of Moretein !
Obviously Sue has the correct 'must haves'. Did JB make her dance around and sing songs, build a deck of cards and make her 'prove her ability to show fun and flair' before hiring her ?

SilverSleuth
8th Jul 2010, 22:26
Well at the very least I am sure it must be getting the attention of the Q board.
Very Very smart move by Virgin. This guy knows exactly every intimate detail about Q. Their Cost base in every part of the operation. Add to that long time senior managers are willing to leave a legacy carrier like Q with all its perks really tells you they must have a lot of faith/regard in the man and his vision for VB.

VBPCGUY
8th Jul 2010, 22:27
Biton, there are currently no EBA's being negociated at VB at present Ground signed off on theirs two months ago and Engineering signed theirs about a month ago, pilots would be next but that wont be until next year.

piston broke again
8th Jul 2010, 23:58
From Seattle Times...
Boeing booked new sales of 44 single-aisle 737s on its order Web site Thursday. That boosts Boeing's net sales tally for the year to 177 jets ahead of the Farnborough Air Show later this month.

Australian low-cost carrier Virgin Blue ordered one of the Renton-built jets, but the other 43 went to unidentified customers. Boeing may reveal some of the airlines behind the orders at Farnborough.

Thursday's orders at list prices are worth a total of more than $3 billion. Assuming standard discounts based on data from aircraft valuation firm Avitas, the actual value is closer to about $2 billion.

Was this an option converted into a firm order? Seems strange any airline would order just one, unless it was a conversion.

GW_04
12th Jul 2010, 14:18
Will PB drivers keep their jobs?

I like this one.

Lets see...

VB doesn't own PB
VB doesn't pay PB pilots
PB doesn't fly VB owned aircraft
PB doesn't fly routes that generate revenue for VB

And finally should there be a change in VB/PB structure VB have around 120 Pilots (and necessary crew) standing by to just pop right in there to kick off. :ugh:

I reckon its all toast looking at that :confused:

DJ738
12th Jul 2010, 23:27
VB doesn't own PB
VB doesn't pay PB pilots
PB doesn't fly VB owned aircraft
PB doesn't fly routes that generate revenue for VB

Yes, VB does own PB. PB is a wholly owned subsidiary of VB. Check any website, anywhere...

Indirectly, yes, VB does pay PB pilots (see above)

All of PB's aircraft ARE owned by VB (see the ownership sign in their flightdecks, or consult any half decent aircraft fleet-list website)

PB's Australia to any Pacific Island routes are making huge money and subsidising VB substantially.

mince
13th Jul 2010, 00:50
If this Borghetti guy is as good as everyone thinks he is, why was he overlooked for the top job at Qantas?

Seems to me he's leading VB into no mans land, i.e a bit of low cost, a bit of full service airline.

Qantas has already smashed them in the low cost department by introducing Jetstar, so Virgin decide to take Qantas on at their bread and butter.

The smart money is on Qantas at this game, and once VB lose out, where does that leave them? Not really low cost and definitely not full service, therefore no longer in business.....

Discuss

markis10
13th Jul 2010, 01:12
DJ own 49% of Polynesian Blue and 100% of Pacific Blue for the record..

bowing
13th Jul 2010, 04:59
but for how long will DJ have polynesianblue...the agreement is up for renewal later this year the route for PB and VB is gold...and with whats been happening with virgin blue the samoa govt's gotta be nervous:uhoh:

snakeslugger
13th Jul 2010, 05:50
It looks like the relaunch has been delayed...

What's in a name? Virgin's blue with Branson (http://www.smh.com.au/business/whats-in-a-name-virgins-blue-with-branson-20100711-105ll.html)

my oleo is extended
13th Jul 2010, 08:38
So why would Branson put the brakes on another fabulous Virgin project ? After all, he formed the airline for the sole purpose of freeing the captive Australian citizen from the evil clutches and duopoly of Qantas and Ansett,not to make money. It makes sense for him to urgently agree to allow the requested changes as it is for the benefit of the Australian community, not for his bank account. C`mon Richard, where has the love gone ? Or has his stance changed for some reason ?

Oh dear, I fear the 'special people' based at the whacky Village will be sad to hear of the delay, they will be downcast and 'low on flair'. First Brett leaves, now Dick is dicking them around, what is happenning to DJ ? What an unexpected betrayal, and at a time when after 10 years Management (to use the term lightly) still arent off the teet !

Maybe it is time for some more roadshows, hire some more Bunnings and Macca`s staff,have some more airport BBQ`s and even hand out some more beach chairs and picnic settings to reignite that Virgin flair ?

Kanga1
13th Jul 2010, 10:10
VA's EGM is the latest casuality of the integration. SS will leave the group on Friday.

PPRuNeUser0198
13th Jul 2010, 10:28
he formed the airline for the sole purpose of freeing the captive Australian citizen from the evil clutches and duopoly of Qantas and Ansett

Rubbish. He is a business man and he invested to make money.

virginexcess
13th Jul 2010, 10:31
Now that is the best news i have heard in about 18 months.
Regardless of what Borghetti does from now on, he will be a legend in VA
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Onya JB

:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::

Sir Donald
13th Jul 2010, 21:04
Current debt/equity ratio of 308%, JB would have to ask his roman gods for a miracle for the market to digest more expenditure in an unstable environment.
His predecessor loaded the company with debt and left on a high leaving deluge and hot air for the rest.

As for the name, the Virgin brand has a get out clause,to preserve its shine, for instance, if a business using its brand were to go under, it will do so using a different name. Just check out previous ventures that used the big name and how they were re-branded prior to the big news.

Cypher
13th Jul 2010, 21:52
As for the name, the Virgin brand has a get out clause,to preserve its shine, for instance, if a business using its brand were to go under, it will do so using a different name. Just check out previous ventures that used the big name and how they were re-branded prior to the big news.

Whatever... there was no rebranding what so ever..:rolleyes:

Virgin Brides
Virgin Cars
Virgin Digital
Virgin Megastores

Just to name a few "Virgin" companies that went under or were closed down bearing their "Virgin" names...

GW_04
13th Jul 2010, 22:12
DJ738

Yes well done.

I was taking the piss from the quote "Will PB drivers keep there jobs"?

I think the drivers are all safe at this stage given the accuracy of your post and the sarcasm of mine.

Cheers :ok:

my oleo is extended
14th Jul 2010, 03:03
T-Vasis,

Rubbish. He is a business man and he invested to make money.

My comment was a piss take.Of course it is about money. Understanding sarcasm is obviously not your strong point.

Virginexcess,
Now that is the best news i have heard in about 18 months.
Regardless of what Borghetti does from now on, he will be a legend in VA
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I agree entirely. JB is working overtime to rid the place of excess rubbish. Best thing is the dummy spits and tanty`s that this 'soon to be gone executive' had when told he was 'walking the green mile'. It was hilarious to watch !
You never know, once JB has finished his spring cleaning maybe the place will make money.

Sand dune Sam
14th Jul 2010, 05:04
DJ738.....would you just humour me a little and qualify your comment about PB's Australia to anywhere in the Pacific comment subsidising VB?

How does that work? I'm curious because my understanding is that VB's Australian operation props up PB and VA for that matter....I think thats the truth. How about we find some factual figures and see what PB contributes to VB's profit each year? 9/10ths of stuff all I would expect......:=

B772
15th Jul 2010, 11:54
What 'was' S Tully's role with VA ?

air bender
16th Jul 2010, 03:40
Pity JB didnt get the Big Gig at Qantas

my oleo is extended
20th Jul 2010, 12:07
B772,
What 'was' S Tully's role with VA ?

Nothing worthwhile.Just more 'excess baggage' hanging around accomplishing nothing. He has since popped up at 'Strategic' in a Ground Operations Management role.

Swift has also officially walked The Green Mile,a 'departure' email was sent out on Friday.
Seems that Massimo is certainly 'cleaning house' !

VBPCGUY
20th Jul 2010, 16:54
I never got no departure email:{

VBPCGUY
20th Jul 2010, 16:56
V Australia Boss Scott Swift Leaves Airline | Travel Trends (http://www.traveltrends.biz/ttn555v-australia-boss-scott-swift-leaves-airline/)

Mr. Hat
21st Jul 2010, 00:07
Quite a lot of spring cleaning going on over there at VB!

Friction Nut
21st Jul 2010, 08:44
What on earth is going on in recruitment? Courses cancelled yet interviews still being scheduled.

dirty deeds
21st Jul 2010, 10:21
Everyone is so excited about JB.

I reckon this guy has been bought in to clean up the books, implement Business Class, get a Wide Body domestic operation up and running (awarded to the lowest bidder, my thoughts will be either VA pilots on their S$%T contracts or a PB base that is already underway and being planned), a shrinking of VB (expansion of PB and VA to operate domestic OP's, ala Jetstar!).

Then Branson and the shareholders will make some cash and sell off the business, come on in ANZ. This all smells of Edington and the Ansett restructure and sell off!

JB has bought his team across because there is S$%T loads of bonus's to be made, easy KPI's to achieve and a nice retirement package to boot. I give him 18 months and he is gone!

And all the pilots at VB have fallen for the car salesman pitch and so called engagement, wait till the Wide Bodies turn up, watch the place implode as three groups are played off against each other and the PB Australian Bases open. Don't forget Jet Connect was started under JB at Qantas, and now the pilots are being told we wont be paxing in Business Class and the old HR manager is still around even though JB states openly that he does not like the guy, (oh my god, is this a classic Good Cop, Bad Cop scenario).

We have fallen for this rubbish again, it's a Business with share holders to respond to, they want results and the only difference between QF and VB is that QF don't pretend to like their staff! :mad:

KRUSTY 34
21st Jul 2010, 11:22
You know dirty deeds, If I were a cynical man, I would almost be inclined to agree with you. :ok:

On a more operational note however, just how many "Widebodies" would VB/PB/VA be able to operate out of Sydney Domestic 2/3 at any one time?

puff
21st Jul 2010, 11:29
G33,35,39,40 were all 767 capable when Ansett used the pier - has anything changed to stop that now ?

virginexcess
21st Jul 2010, 11:36
You know, of all the bullship i have read on here, i reckon what you said is probably the most plausible of the lot.

Normasars
21st Jul 2010, 11:53
And why should you be paxing in Business Class?

It's not going to be installed for pilots to commute in!!!!

That's not going to make DJ any money. It's there for the high yield, not the staff.:ugh:

The Green Goblin
21st Jul 2010, 12:03
And why should you be paxing in Business Class?

It's not going to be installed for pilots to commute in!!!!

That's not going to make DJ any money. It's there for the high yield, not the staff.

If the company want to pax you then so you should be in business.

dirty deeds
21st Jul 2010, 12:05
Normasars,

My reference to paxing was not for commuters, it was referenced to a situation like paxing to Perth from Melbourne then operating home, a 12 hour Duty!

The reference to paxing was also a point of example to prove my point!

Sorry if I sounded like it was a god given right (not my intention), I was just thinking of safety and a well rested pilot who has a big day ahead of them.

Normasars
21st Jul 2010, 12:11
Dirty.

No worries:ok:

ETOPS-180
21st Jul 2010, 12:55
Virgin $41 not in front of Emerg Exits put in last rows with screaming kids around you...
Qantas $45 ungradeable to J class food and drink and you get looked after by ground staff.:ok:
and this is the same with duty travel in both cases

Grey Nomad
21st Jul 2010, 20:12
Deeds I think you are right on the money.:ok:

Servo
22nd Jul 2010, 00:30
Deeds, I couldnt have said it better myself! Well done.

The next 12-18 months are going to be VERY interesting indeed. When all the smoke and mirrors finally clear, it will be ALL staff at the bottom of the sh$t pile again.

A bit like oliver twist "please sir can I have some more?"

stubby jumbo
22nd Jul 2010, 01:29
"Dirty Deeds done dirt cheap"

"the only difference between QF and VB is that QF don't pretend to like their staff!".......this quote is an absolute pearler Deeds.

You are soooooo right.:D

JB is on a mission from God to rip and tear. He won't have the roadblocks that stood in his way at QF . He openly stated ( when at QF )that the 777 is THE aircraft of the future. :cool:

Its great watching all this unfold from the sidelines. A insider mate at DJ tells me that everyone in middle/senior management are :mad: themselves.

Il Duce is building his empire

Cactusjack
22nd Jul 2010, 10:42
stubby jumbo,

A insider mate at DJ tells me that everyone in middle/senior management are http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif themselves.

Oh how true !
And that is because their veil of protection has left the building, and now they are under the scrutiny of JB, who for all his faults, knows a little about airlines, unlike the incompetent fools who have embedded themslves in the management structure tighter than a sidmark in a set of y-fronts. It is most pleasurable watching all the parasites run ! Some have even been cying, as well as shredding papers. Pathetic grubs.

Mr. hat,

Quite a lot of spring cleaning going on over there at VB!

Unfortunately many of the skidmarks in the toilet have been there a long time and cannot be scrubbed away easily, but hopefully JB will find a way to remove them.
And I suggest that JB grab one of those 'nook and cranny' attachments for his can of Moretein due to many of the parasites hiding themselves very well at the moment... JB doesn't want to miss anything during his spring clean now does he ?

dirty deeds,
Well the consensus is that your post has made it to 'number 1 on the charts', and I couldn't agree more.
One comment that you made was very interesting though,

JB has bought his team across because there is S$%T loads of bonus's to be made, easy KPI's to achieve and a nice retirement package to boot.

I think Massimo will be around for a tad longer than 18 months. There is 'much gold in them thar hills' and he will be filling his barrow pretty full with the stuff before he flee's in a hurry. There are certainly rich pickings to be had in The Village if you are one of the 'chosen few'. But if you are one of the workers, share holders, pilots or basically anybody else then it is just a 'bowl of rice and an oreo'.

The Bullwinkle
25th Jul 2010, 12:21
But if you are one of the workers, share holders, pilots or basically anybody else then it is just a 'bowl of rice and an oreo'.

I heard the crew meals were improving!!! :)

Mr. Hat
4th Aug 2010, 22:18
Interesting article:

Borghetti's machete causing problems in Virgin Blue - eTB Industry Insider Commentary and Opinion - etravelblackboard.com (http://www.etravelblackboard.com/showarticle.asp?id=107200&nav=61)

Borghetti's machete causing problems in Virgin Blue
Tuesday, 3 August 2010

Price of survival is high

The good old travel industry grapevine is awash with rumours that John Borghetti's machete waving and chopping in the Virgin Blue Group is having a pretty damaging effect on company morale, with even the Brisbane Courier Mail reporting this week that all is not happy at Virgin HQ, a traditionally very upbeat and happy workplace.

Let's face it though and be fair to Borghetti, that it was inevitable his appointment was bound to cause waves or even tsunamis within the company, as would the appointment of any new CEO to any company, with senior execs in DJ being given the push, including head of pr Heather Jeffrey, which one DJ insider described to me as - she and Borghetti having an uncomfortable history at Qantas and there was no way she was going to survive.

At the end of the day, Borghetti is the CEO and he appears to have the confidence of the Board and Shareholders to get the struggling airline back on track and do what needs to be done to grow its business, eradicating the losses announced earlier this year.

The Courier Mail report also says that one employee described the mood as "quite unsettling", with some work teams "decimated" by retrenchments and that particularly at risk are those with V Australia, the group's loss-making overseas offshoot launched last year, adding, "We're all a little taken aback".
Well I have to say - "smell the coffee" - because no business can continue haemorrhaging like DJ was and changes had to be made - even if they were tough ones, with over at V Australia, Scott Swift having the chop and COO Andrew David planning to leave by the end of the year, with more heads anticipated to role as V Australian is absorbed into the Virgin Group, along with other what were "standalone" businesses.

With the challenge for Borghetti and his new team largely brought in from Qantas, being how DJ can increase its share of the business market while holding on to its leisure market, the next few months will be very telling indeed, with the more deep reaching effect of his reorganisation to be announced shortly, including what are believed to be route withdrawals and cutting and a refocussing on more profitable routes and rationalisation of the brands and their associated overheads into one business.

With the company's full year results about to be announced, we need to remember that pre his departure, former CEO Brett Godfrey announced that Virgin's bottom line result improved by $164 million, from a $101.4 million loss in the December half of 2008 to $62.5 million profit for the six months to December 31 - then less than three weeks after taking over Borghetti shocked everyone by announcing that that company's pre-tax profit would plummet by up to 75% down to $20 million to $40 million, with analysts now expecting an even worse result to be announced.

Let's wait and see, but let's also give credit where its due to Borghetti for taking on the task of turning around Australia's second largest airline, because if he fails the price is very high for everyone, not just in the company and in travel and tourism generally, but the impact the collapse of the company would even have on the Australian economy.

Cactusjack
4th Aug 2010, 22:40
Interesting article indeed,as reported by Mr Hat.

Borghetti's machete causing problems in Virgin Blue
Tuesday, 3 August 2010

Price of survival is high

The good old travel industry grapevine is awash with rumours that John Borghetti's machete waving and chopping in the Virgin Blue Group is having a pretty damaging effect on company morale, with even the Brisbane Courier Mail reporting this week that all is not happy at Virgin HQ, a traditionally very upbeat and happy workplace.

The only ones sooking and feeling guttered are Management and management footstools. The frontline staff are cheering and leaping for joy at the removal of all the deadwood from Ergonomic Central.

Let's face it though and be fair to Borghetti, that it was inevitable his appointment was bound to cause waves or even tsunamis within the company, as would the appointment of any new CEO to any company, with senior execs in DJ being given the push, including head of pr Heather Jeffrey,

Again, the only people crying are the protected species in HQ. The rest of the company are overjoyed. My advice to JB is to keep wielding the axe until all traces of rot are removed from the place.

The Courier Mail report also says that one employee described the mood as "quite unsettling", with some work teams "decimated" by retrenchments and that particularly at risk are those with V Australia, the group's loss-making overseas offshoot launched last year, adding, "We're all a little taken aback".
Well I have to say - "smell the coffee" - because no business can continue haemorrhaging like DJ was and changes had to be made - even if they were tough ones, with over at V Australia, Scott Swift having the chop and COO Andrew David planning to leave by the end of the year, with more heads anticipated to role as V Australian is absorbed into the Virgin Group, along with other what were "standalone" businesses.

It is called 'change management' and whenever this occurs, people become unsettled, but the uncertainty will pass. As has been stated, JB had to wield the axe so as to ensure the place survives its current economic woes. Again, the depth of JB`s aviation experience and the decisions he is making are absolutely spot on. Airlines dont survive on flair and by employing incompetent and inept managers.The benefits will flow through, give it time...

With the company's full year results about to be announced, we need to remember that pre his departure, former CEO Brett Godfrey announced that Virgin's bottom line result improved by $164 million, from a $101.4 million loss in the December half of 2008 to $62.5 million profit for the six months to December 31 - then less than three weeks after taking over Borghetti shocked everyone by announcing that that company's pre-tax profit would plummet by up to 75% down to $20 million to $40 million, with analysts now expecting an even worse result to be announced.

This paragraph speaks for itself,hence the reason Borghetti now runs the place.

Good work Massimo, keep shredding the deadwood !

GAFA
4th Aug 2010, 23:37
Would have to agree with Cactusjack, generally speaking the frontline staff are the happiest they've been for years. They feel the ship finally has a rudder.

DJ is overstaffed with middle and upper management, a typical example is the Lounge, rather than having one manger responsible for it there were about six, with each manager looking after a different part of it.

Same goes with V Australia, why have a duplicate managment structure when it all can be done under DJ.

There are many managers in the 'Village' who have had iteasy for far to long in their ergonomically (select your own colour) work stataions and JB is asking everyone to justify their role, if the can't then their gone.

Both the generally public and the board have been feed so much 'BS' from the previous managment that they think DJ is a happy work place. It has taken a change at the top for the board to realise that it's not. And the only reason the public stil think it's a happy workplace is due to the dedication of the frontline staff to their jobs.

Mr. Hat
5th Aug 2010, 00:10
Well God knows they need a few rabbits out of the hat as the QF group are lowering their cost base every day. Soon they'll be employing refugees to fly their 320's!

VBPCGUY
5th Aug 2010, 01:33
Keep weilding the axe I say Im as happy as a pig in **** right now Im excited to be honest, get rid of the incompetence and those that got there purely by blowing bubbles.

Cactusjack
5th Aug 2010, 22:55
GAFA, You are spot on my freind !!
DJ is overstaffed with middle and upper management, a typical example is the Lounge, rather than having one manger responsible for it there were about six, with each manager looking after a different part of it.
Correct.And what about the ridiculous Ground Ops and Guest Service structure when compared to other LCC`s in Australia. Ramp/Ground Ops for example has PC3`s, ASM`s, an Operations Manager, an Airport Manager, and an AMCO Manager. What a farce, ludicrous arrangement and waste of money. The persons responsible for maintaining this arrangement are complete idiots.This is just one area of money waste.

Same goes with V Australia, why have a duplicate managment structure when it all can be done under DJ.
Another basket case of money wasting which JB is finally cleaning up.

There are many managers in the 'Village' who have had iteasy for far to long in their ergonomically (select your own colour) work stataions and JB is asking everyone to justify their role, if the can't then their gone.

Again this is taking place and frontline staff are very happy with this, however middle management and some long term deadwood still remain and this is an issue. One can only hope that in the long term those cockroacheswill not escape JB and his might can of Moretein and they too will be flushed out !

Both the generally public and the board have been feed so much 'BS' from the previous managment that they think DJ is a happy work place. It has taken a change at the top for the board to realise that it's not. And the only reason the public stil think it's a happy workplace is due to the dedication of the frontline staff to their jobs.
Oh yes, a very accurate statement. The place has operated under the 'smoke and mirrors' rule set for a long time. The only people in the colourful funky Village to be prancing around full of flair and frivolity has been a select group of mates and 'mates rates assistants' who have banked mega bucks for a mega long time,not based on ability but based on who they went to uni or school with in a previous life. That system wont enable the airline to grow and become more profitable. Frontline staff, the public and shareholders need to know this.

VBPCGUY,

Keep weilding the axe I say Im as happy as a pig in **** right now Im excited to be honest, get rid of the incompetence and those that got there purely by blowing bubbles.
I could not agree more. It is agreat time for frontline staff to celebrate at the removing of the trash ! And as for your comment about bubbles, would that be a particular former manager you are referring to ?

cauldron
5th Aug 2010, 23:45
Speaking of incompetence....anyone know who's gotten the axe in the IT dept?

VBPCGUY
6th Aug 2010, 00:55
I could not agree more. It is agreat time for frontline staff to celebrate at the removing of the trash ! And as for your comment about bubbles, would that be a particular former manager you are referring to ?

Ahh nah more the fact that I could tell at the roadshow there were so many people trying to blow wind up JB's arse it made me sick, but there are poeple in roles as you suggested that are there because they 'blow bubbles' especially ASM's Guest services and the like. Trim the fat JB because we are obese:ok:

virginexcess
6th Aug 2010, 01:44
There is a similarly slanted article in the back of Australian Aviation. I think the Journos might need to get out from behind their desks and find a source who doesn't live in the village.

Happy days as far as i am concerned. Roll on the machete.

The Bunglerat
6th Aug 2010, 07:29
...As if the journo's don't trawl this site enough! With that in mind, I'm sure they could find enough evidence to suggest that many at VB are quite upbeat at the moment, but of course that doesn't sell newspapers/magazines/TV news headlines, does it. Poor, hard-done-by management and their sob stories about the Borg cutting a swathe through their ranks are much tastier. :yuk:

Cactusjack
6th Aug 2010, 09:00
virginexcess,
There is a similarly slanted article in the back of Australian Aviation. I think the Journos might need to get out from behind their desks and find a source who doesn't live in the village.
Happy days as far as i am concerned. Roll on the machete.
Glad to hear yet another 'Frontliner' happy to see JB shuffling the deck ! Perhaps the timing is ripe for a Morgan Gallop poll (Managers not included) on the following questions ;
1) Are you a current employee who is happy at DJ ?
2) Are you happy to see Massimo wielding the axe and disposing of the deadwood and suckholes ?
3) Do you feel the remaining members of the management team (prior to JB`s appointment) should be 'put out to pasture' ?
4) Do you like the colours at the funky Village or would you like to see more added ?

Bunglerat,
Poor, hard-done-by management and their sob stories about the Borg cutting a swathe through their ranks are much tastier. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/pukey.gif
It is certainly tasty watching this take place. There is little in life more satisfying than watching a protected aviation species becoming rapidly extinct.

I hope that once JB`s cleansing is finally finished the 'real workers' can have a party to celebrate the coming of a new era. Maybe it will even be an era free from nepotism, free from lies about rewards and broken promises, an era where a brown tongue gets you nowhere and actual loyalty and hard work reaps promotion and reward, an era where the stench of excess management is removed and a clean lean structure is implemented, an era where suckholes,backstabbers and greedy grubs are removed once for all...Amen.

VBPCGUY
6th Aug 2010, 11:35
\I hope that once JB`s cleansing is finally finished the 'real workers' can have a party to celebrate the coming of a new era. Maybe it will even be an era free from nepotism, free from lies about rewards and broken promises, an era where a brown tongue gets you nowhere and actual loyalty and hard work reaps promotion and reward, an era where the stench of excess management is removed and a clean lean structure is implemented, an era where suckholes,backstabbers and greedy grubs are removed once for all...Amen.

AMEN:ok: Heres to the workers out with the suckholes:D

ETOPS-180
11th Aug 2010, 13:21
:ok:Heard that JB is coming back to BNE tomorrow on V Aust after 2 nights in USA, short tip but for what l would like to know.....:ugh:

porch monkey
12th Aug 2010, 09:34
Doing a deal with Boeing?. Anyway, as one of those "front liners", GO Il DUCE!:ok:

rescue 1
12th Aug 2010, 09:53
As sure as I'm writing this post, the "deadwood" metaphors will start rolling out about the "new" management team in about a years time.

With the EBA up next year, I can't see JB standing at the door with generous handouts...what will industry say then?

Servo
13th Aug 2010, 02:00
I wonder if sat right up the back with the screaming kids and other not so nice "guest's"...........

I am sure he didn't. But hey he is the CEO, not a lowly Flight Crew paxing across Australia to pick up an OPERATIONAL duty and then expected to perform 100%

Management in Australia is so backward thinking except when it comes to their own pay and conditions.

JB a saviour, I think not :hmm:

UAL Furlough
28th Aug 2010, 10:30
Servo...

I paxed back from Los Angeles the other day and I was put in business class by the company as were all of my crew.

This has been the norm on Vaustralia.

Whiskery
28th Aug 2010, 11:25
Share price moving UP!
The Market likes him and his vision for the future. GO you GOOD thing.

Mr. Hat
29th Aug 2010, 05:18
From Plane Talking Ben Sandilands.

The changing shape of Virgin Blue – Plane Talking (http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2010/08/26/the-changing-shape-of-virgin-blue/)

August 26, 2010 – 10:52 am, by Ben Sandilands
Some big changes began rolling out at Virgin Blue today.

The decision to equip and expand the domestic and international routes with A330-200s will come with the yet unannounced cabin product changes that bring the airline Virgin America style seating in a very upmarket and exclusive business class across its entire fleet which also gets significantly improved economy class appointments.

The dropping of Johannesburg is not a reflection on the operational performance of the Boeing 777-300ER but about it being inappropriate for a long remote ocean route where the big twin engine jet is restricted, for very very good reasons, to ETOPS 180 minutes rules.

V Australia had to fly the jet for as much as three hours longer than a four engined jet (red line) to avoid the no-go zones shown in the Great Circle Mapper image below.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/files/2010/08/great-circle-600x283.jpg

That put it at the end of its tether for full payload flights, and penalised it with the costs of the much longer flight paths.

The A330 is unbeatable for operational economics in its size and range category for the foreseeable time, as airlines drum their fingers waiting for Boeing and Airbus to sort out and deliver credible performances from their delayed 787 Dreamliners and A350s.

Prediction: The A330 choice will set the longer term future of Virgin Blue, or whatever it is called from some time ’soon’ to that of an operator that acquires advanced model A380s, simply because it will grow into them, and unit size becomes critical for airports such as Sydney, Los Angeles and London.

In the interim, also expect more fleet review changes concerning the withdrawal of the Embraer 170s, the use of more Embraer 190s, and according to some rumours, a medium sized turbo-prop for key short haul regional routes

Interesting bit at the end..

vorky
2nd Sep 2010, 14:31
Speaking of incompetence....anyone know who's gotten the axe in the IT dept?

Plenty of people, and from an insider's perspective, it has turned an enjoyable work environment (4 years ago) into a nightmare. Head counts are not being increased, in fact there are no one for one replacements at the moment, which is driving our operational staff in to a deep black hole. Getting even deeper as strong teams of 6-14 people have been eroded down to teams of 1-6 if you're lucky. That wasn't management bloat either, that was teams of people working their :mad: off for little reward at the end of the day.

The parties are no more. Considering how much it cost to stage one of these events, I'm not surprised it was one of the first things for Massimo to axe, albeit we at least expected one last hurrah with the 10th birthday. Not to be, and it soured the mood around HQ since the email earlier this week. This year's birthday present was a Passport Holder and a Cupcake ... and an offer to volunteer as a food server at a private party in Melbourne - if Massimo's aim was to piss off every staff member in HQ, mission accomplished.

Morale is in a murky place at the moment ....

The current performance rating system is a rort. All KPI's are predetermined in a way as to prevent bonuses being paid out, even if they exist or not. Hell, being hired on for way below asking/market rate was bad enough let alone being told at performance reviews that there are no bonuses or profit sharing to keep the place competitive. If the new management wants to see things such as OTP and the general mood improving, how about introducing a fair HR system :p.

wheels_down
2nd Sep 2010, 20:47
Funny, this whole new Management team really are starting to resemble Tiger Mgmt.

ANCDU
2nd Sep 2010, 21:41
i was actually going to say Qantas management....funny that!

walaper
2nd Sep 2010, 22:17
Vorky are you and the minions at wally world finally getting a touch of reality. Do you clowns even realise the job at hand is about getting full a/c into the air, apparently not it's about parties bbq,s and blowing wind where the pineapples go for those out there actually making it happen. Grow up or shoot through if you are not up to it.:*

Rural
2nd Sep 2010, 22:26
I am surprised no mention in the post (no doubt covered elsewhere) of the full year results for year ending 30th June which was a profit after tax of some $21M. Putting this very modest profit into the context of total turnover it is any wonder why the airlines management are not focused on office parties and 10th birthday celebrations. I would say give JB a go in the interest of having a viable and sustainable airline (business) long into the future.

FY2010/11 will be another interesting one.

F111
2nd Sep 2010, 23:29
Looks like those in HO have had to easy for far to long. The frontline staff are the happest they've been in 5 years.

orangepeel
2nd Sep 2010, 23:36
Looks like those in HO have had to easy for far to long. The frontline staff are the happest they've been in 5 years.

Cheers to that ...

Jabawocky
3rd Sep 2010, 00:31
In my opinion, and I dare say many of the front liners, a new sharper and more professional image, which is what the customers see, would make a welcome change.

The real truth to the matter is your overheads of tech/cabin/engineering and other operational crew are ones that are really required to serve the customer. Over indulged HO employees are not. They are there to support the front line. That includes all the folk in HR accounts etc that think they are the centre of the universe in most companies that eventually struggle.

If the front line folk focus on the customer, and the backline folk focus on supporting the front line, and you have a leader with some leadership......you will be on a winner!

I dare say as little idea of running an airline as I have.....it would only take 3 days to get a general idea where the trouble spots are, and it would be my guess its HO and the aforementioned areas. Improving that area would be a much bigger task.

Good Luck and best wishes for a brighter future! :ok:

AirborneSoon
3rd Sep 2010, 00:39
Plenty of people, and from an insider's perspective, it has turned an enjoyable work environment (4 years ago) into a nightmare.

The parties are no more. Considering how much it cost to stage one of these events, I'm not surprised it was one of the first things for Massimo to axe, albeit we at least expected one last hurrah with the 10th birthday.

Morale is in a murky place at the moment ....

The current performance rating system is a rort. All KPI's are predetermined in a way as to prevent bonuses being paid out, even if they exist or not.

Well frontline staff don't get parties or bonuses they don't even get xmas off. And they've been running on skeleton staff for quite some time. If you think life in the village is hard maybe you want to step into an airport where the real action happens...:rolleyes:

slice
3rd Sep 2010, 01:09
Well well "Le Village" starts to come back down to planet earth! Back to Sportsgirl and KFC you all go.:}

vorky
3rd Sep 2010, 01:12
Vorky are you and the minions at wally world finally getting a touch of reality. Do you clowns even realise the job at hand is about getting full a/c into the air, apparently not it's about parties bbq,s and blowing wind where the pineapples go for those out there actually making it happen. Grow up or shoot through if you are not up to it.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/bah.gifIf growing up involves taking on the work of 5 people, learning systems that the company refuses to shell out on training courses for, the inability to upgrade systems because the knowledge has walked out the door many moons ago since the company couldn't meet what I'd consider fair expectations, you can have that. Thats called running your workforce into the ground.

Seriously the CFO and HR GM need to get a clue on what is happening to staff in HQ. There are government regulations keeping the frontline situation in check, you also have the opportunity to negotiate what you get paid and the conditions of work through the EBAs. We don't have any such opportunities in HQ ... what you say, a performance review ... its a charade. As previously mentioned, the KPIs are predetermined to a budget. We get the CPI increase each year, that's it. Want to get anywhere near a fair salary, change jobs internally. What, the jobs are not what your skill set involves ... well, we know we're that leads.

Time to grow up and move on, as its the only way I can further my career from the dead end called VB.

vorky
3rd Sep 2010, 01:48
Well frontline staff don't get parties or bonuses they don't even get xmas off. And they've been running on skeleton staff for quite some time. If you think life in the village is hard maybe you want to step into an airport where the real action happens...:rolleyes:

Shows you how insulated HQ is from the frontline ops and vice versa.

I have also been in the basket of working Xmas and Party nights and the like ... for 2 freaking years I never had a proper Xmas with my family. I slept most of Xmas Day and worked that night. I have suffered my fair share of 16-19 hour shifts because my replacement never turned up, try that on the frontlines and I'm sure there would be issues.

In the current job I'm still expected to be available 24/7 when the you know what hits the fan ... so tell me, I may not interface with the guests, but where do HQ staff have it sweet?

I disgress though, most of that pain is now being outsourced because it save the company money .... and service goes down the drain for the frontline staff. Enjoy.

Cactusjack
3rd Sep 2010, 01:55
The airline was set up to 'keep the air fair'. It was never about 'keeping the workplace fair', many have just realised this......

The current performance rating system is a rort. All KPI's are predetermined in a way as to prevent bonuses being paid out, even if they exist or not

Vorky, is this your first stint working in Management ? Bonuses are always designed and structured to be an impossible target for mid and lower level management to achieve. Only the upper echelon will still get paid bonuses for basically acting incompetent, destroying morale and losing profit hand over fist, just look at your former executive (and some still lingering deadwood) management team !!
At least Le Village still get to sit on their ergonomic sofa's ,enjoy the funky colours and earn ludicous salries for not doing anything productive....

vorky
3rd Sep 2010, 02:40
Vorky, is this your first stint working in Management ?

Not in management, just a pawn.

KittyBlue
3rd Sep 2010, 05:50
from my time at DJ, the parties were allocated $500 of the FBT that the company could give each staff and $1000 ($500 the first 5-6 years when FBT law stated total $1000) was for staff travel. So where is the $500 going to be sent???

AirborneSoon
3rd Sep 2010, 06:05
Is any company obliged to give their staff $1500 per year in benefits just because the laws accomodate it? You make it sound like it's an entitlement, part of your salary or something...:ugh: I dare say that $500 per employee will be going into company profitability, quite likely enabling another upgrade of the services they are able to offer guests. Don't know about you but I'd rather have a better onboard product than another round of snags on white bread :rolleyes:

TBM-Legend
3rd Sep 2010, 06:32
The Brekky Creek took some of BG's dough today....:}

Bit late to say that a reason that V/Aus 777 didn't work was because of ETOPS limitations. I thought that that would have almost the first thing looked at on that root...

KittyBlue
3rd Sep 2010, 06:48
AirborneSoon: Legislation allows a company to spend $1500 on employees tax free. My comment was just highlighting previous use of the funds and asked what could be done with it.

As for the parties (nation wide) it allowed the staff to do something together, excluding those who had to work. It actually allowed the staff to work on doing something apart from the day in day out of work. Its no different with QF having their annual parties for christmas, each port love it for the reason they have something to look forward too.

If you dont have happy crew then all the mods and cons you put into online service would be fairly useless.

An over-haul over most things will need to be done to allow progression at DJ.

Cactusjack
3rd Sep 2010, 07:11
I am amazed that some posters hate it how staff had a few dollars spent on them by way of parties. If i was a shareholder I wouldnt approve of it either, fair enough. But little is mentioned of the amount of money bled from the place by certain individuals who loaded their pockets with all manner of bonus/salary structures for doing what ?? These people who made monumental strategic errors, payroll errors, aircraft type errors and hedging errors but yet stll rode the gravy train are the ones who have wasted many many many millions of dollars (excluding the dollar value of their undeserved salries) and should be held accountable.

KittyBlue
3rd Sep 2010, 07:37
I agree with you 100% cactus. A monumental bleeding was the E90 for Albury route, it was/is one the biggest fark ups you could imagine. They cant land the E90 due to runway length and that info comes direct from an ERSA and the E90 aircraft manual and they didnt even confirm that the numbers matched. It was orginaly earmarked E90 until the day before the first flight.

Hence why the E70 has been operating the route since day one!

This is why they had more E90 than originally planned, then they went and ordered more!!

I imagine the changes Bog's is doing is kinda moving out the old and bringing the experienced? i hope!

lamax
3rd Sep 2010, 09:01
Major airline managements have never understood the regional airline environment. Fourty years ago ANSW tried to replace F27 with F28 on high yield, regulated and sole operator routes in NSW. The experiment failed and F27s returned to fly these services for many subsequent years.
Regional airline pundits knew from day one that Embraers would not be competitive against high frequency more efficient Saab340 and Dash 8 turboprop services.
The world is full of dreamers who fail to study their markets, their competition and the operating economics of operating jet aircraft over regional routes that offer little utililisation outside AM and PM peak travel times.

Dehavillanddriver
3rd Sep 2010, 09:11
Kittyblue - you clearly have no idea about Embraer operations or Albury for that matter.

Albury is plenty long enough for the 190 and it goes there on the odd occasion.

AirborneSoon
3rd Sep 2010, 09:21
I am amazed that some posters hate it how staff had a few dollars spent on them by way of parties. If i was a shareholder I wouldnt approve of it either, fair enough.

For the record, I don't begrudge anyone their xmas party. But the way it's being discussed by employees of the company is a bit short sighted. Yes you are not getting an anticipated BBQ this year. But....

The company just downgraded it's profit by 70% do you think now is the right time to be funding company booze-ups? := I'm not oblivious to the unique team building experience that only alcohol can provide but lets get real here. That money could be better spent on sorely needed improvements to the DJ product and network, thereby improving the working conditions of all employees, not just the ones who can make it to an event.

F111
3rd Sep 2010, 12:16
190 ops into AY haven't been approved and most likely never will. Check A1 manual only the 170 is approved. Limited Ops into PMQ was approved 6 months back, so I think the 190 has been into there but not AY. Runway length has got nothing to do with it, as AY is longer than PMQ.

Once the 170's go so will AY, PMQ, TL - CS, TL - RK, TL - CG etc unless the turboprops turn up.

KittyBlue
3rd Sep 2010, 22:29
When did they start flying E90 into Albury. I used to do that route pretty much every second shift for 2 years......

thanks for the correction re: runway length, i was advised by the FC on that... i knew there was a restriction.

F111
3rd Sep 2010, 23:23
They haven't operated the 190 into AY. Even the latest change to A1 still doesn't allow 190 ops to AY. I think you will find it's a PCN issue or a parking issue ( the 190 is longer the the 737-700).

leffe
3rd Sep 2010, 23:57
Heard over the PA at BNE Airport the other day 'Due to an engineering issue, DJ??? to Sydney has been delayed, the engineers have just ROCKED UP to the aircraft...blah blah blah' seriously, if we want to attract the high yield market, these sort of announcments made by the ground staff have to stop.....:ugh:

AirborneSoon
4th Sep 2010, 00:06
Heard over the PA at BNE Airport the other day 'Due to an engineering issue, DJ??? to Sydney has been delayed, the engineers have just ROCKED UP to the aircraft...blah blah blah' seriously, if we want to attract the high yield market, these sort of announcments made by the ground staff have to stop.....

Oh Dear....yes some PA training wouldn't go astray. :}

KittyBlue
4th Sep 2010, 01:00
lol..... and 'thank you for letting us take you for a ride' is another one! CRINGE!

simsalabim
4th Sep 2010, 08:05
What about this one heard on DJ recently "Ladies and Gentleman please be careful when you open the overhead lockers your luggage may have shifted during the flight and as we all know ...... shift happens " .

KittyBlue
4th Sep 2010, 08:23
i used to use that one all the time!!! It was a very different airlines when they first started!!! times are and have changed!

TWT
4th Sep 2010, 08:51
And,the pax cabin briefing ....

Right after the spiel about "there is a serious side to the flight" ...." Today we will be travelling in a pressurised cabin "

Did they fly in an unpressurised cabin yesterday ? Lucky for me I'm on this flight then ! Sheesh......

Arnold E
4th Sep 2010, 08:59
The punters arn't listening anyway, so what does it matter.?:confused:

KittyBlue
13th Sep 2010, 06:50
so with the name changes being made are we to see Virgin Australia domestically and V Australia internationally?

Article (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/virgin-brand-to-stay-vows-richard-branson/story-e6frg8zx-1225919840038)

The Virgin name will stay forever," he said. "I think Pacific Blue and the other (airlines) they will be rebranded. There's a whole rebranding exercise which is going to be unveiled, maybe even in a month or so, which looks great. I've seen it and I think it's very, very powerful."

tasdevil.f27
13th Sep 2010, 09:29
I thought RB might have a bit to say this trip.... Maybe a spanner in JB's plans?? My money is on Virgin Australia, with the same livery as V America.

Mr. Hat
13th Sep 2010, 10:13
Spot on Kitty.

I've seen another article somewhere that said RB wants to buy his stake of VAtlantic back.

Livery I think it will be different. Sense mettalic something.

1a sound asleep
13th Sep 2010, 10:28
YouTube - Virgin Blue celebrate their 10th Birthday with an all-singing, all-dancing Extravaganza (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn1Y00xALlY)

piston broke again
13th Sep 2010, 11:36
Yeah I agree, looks like Virgin Australia (dom) and V Australia (int) - until SQ release the grip on their sphincter with the use of the Virgin name then all becoming Virgin Aust.

KittyBlue
13th Sep 2010, 12:14
so the joint venture with Polynesia and Virgin Blue Group will stay the same, Polynesian Blue. Then one aircraft will be painted in the old livery or just have a sticker with VAustralia operating on behalf of Poly Blue?

bowing
15th Sep 2010, 07:46
Depends if the 2 parties agree to extend their agreement(VB and Samoan Govt) which I believe is up for renewal next month.....

vorky
16th Sep 2010, 09:55
The Media Stunt was a bit of a face palm, very amateur and not much point.

VBPCGUY
16th Sep 2010, 22:05
The Media Stunt was a bit of a face palm, very amateur and not much point.

For the exposure it got in the media I would say it was rather the opposite, that was the whole idea of it, get it on TV.

ozangel
17th Sep 2010, 01:12
What media exposure? It's been such a flop of a story that it didn't even warrant a headline on news.com.au. And I haven't seen it mentioned on TV - (mines usually running in the background all day).

Whats even worse is that it's on youtube - with the majority of user comments saying how much of a disappointment it was, that it looked like a badly choreographed school assembly etc etc - yet someone in the village of idiots is responding to the responses like they're trying to 'performance manage' the people that wrote them (i.e 'heres a big smile, now go f**k yourself').

Cringeworthy! Even a good number of the staff looked depressed to be there!

Dear John,

Please burn your dancing shoes and get back to turning the airline around. You don't have to act 'zany' for your new friends to like you! Don't be led astray by that Branson boy - he'll only ever take credit for your work and distract you from the task at hand. Remember, it was him and his favourite ass puppet Godfrey that created the mess!

VBPCGUY
17th Sep 2010, 08:57
I seen coverage of it on the news Sunday night and Monday morning, mentioned on radio also.

Mr. Hat
18th Sep 2010, 00:12
Interesting article:

Virgin Blue changes course in battle to bag top flyers (http://www.businessday.com.au/business/virgin-blue-changes-course-in-battle-to-bag-top-flyers-20100917-15gfr.html)

Matt O'Sullivan
September 18, 2010

Virgin Flyer Credit Cardvirginmoney.com.au/FlyerCreditCard
Buy 1 Virgin Blue Seat, Get 1 Free w. the new Virgin Flyer Credit Card

IT IS the question John Borghetti is quickly becoming renowned for asking anyone he bumps into: ''Do you fly Virgin Blue?'' The airline's new boss wheeled it out again this week at a lunch for 300-plus executives and hangers-on in a Sydney hotel.

The 37-year airline veteran was slightly taken aback when only a small number of business types put their hands up. ''There's a bit of work to do, isn't there?'' he laughed sheepishly.

Just days earlier, on the eve of Virgin Blue's 10th-anniversary celebrations in a Melbourne hangar, Australian and US regulators had dealt two telling blows to his bold new plans aimed at moulding Australia's second-largest airline into an upmarket competitor to Qantas.

Advertisement: Story continues below
It highlights the challenges facing the former Qantas heavyweight and Virgin Blue's major shareholder, Richard Branson, in turning a one-time low-cost airline into an attractive alternative for discerning upmarket travellers.

''It's a bit like Kmart trying to take on DJs,'' says Paul Fiani, the managing director of fund management outfit Integrity Investment Management. ''Sure, it is possible, but they would have to invest a lot of money and reposition the business to do it properly. If they went too far with it, they could well lose some of their existing customers who prefer the no-frills approach.''

The mild-mannered Borghetti is well aware of the task he has taken on in an industry littered with the carcasses of failed airlines. Virgin Blue just broke even in the second half of last financial year, while Qantas's flying operations - including no-frills offshoot Jetstar - made only $17 million.

People might be flying more than ever, but the discounted fares that airlines are having to offer to stimulate demand means their bottom lines remain sick. Qantas's once main business of flying people around the world now brings in substantially less than its frequent-flyer business.

Over the past six months the discount dogfight for leisure travellers has intensified, and now a battle is about to break out between Virgin Blue and Qantas for lucrative business-class passengers.

More than ever, it raises doubts about whether four big domestic airlines - Qantas, Jetstar, Virgin Blue and Tiger Airways - can survive in a country of 22 million people.

Who can forget the collapse of Ansett, Compass, Impulse and minor players such as Kendall and Hazelton, SkyAirWorld and MacAir (otherwise known as Slack Air)?

Two years after the global financial system teetered on the brink, airlines are still struggling to pull themselves out of one of the worst downturns in travel demand.

''If history is any guide it's hard to see us sustaining four airlines in this market,'' former federal transport minister John Sharp says. ''Maybe we can extend it out to three airlines, but can we extend it out to four? It's hard to see. You would have to think some sort of rationalisation will take place.''

The winner over the past decade has been the travelling public. The number of seats on domestic flights has risen by almost 80 per cent to about 4.8 million a month, due mainly to the entry of no-frills airlines.

Low-cost airlines' share of flights within Australia and on routes into and out of the country has soared from 2 per cent of the market in 2000 to 45 per cent today, figures from the Official Airline Guide show.

The boon for consumers is stark: discount fares for domestic flights have almost halved in real terms since 2003 - the baseline for government aviation statistics. Business tickets have not fallen at anywhere near the same rate - they are about 6 per cent cheaper - but are still the lowest they have been since 2003.

The latter helps explain Borghetti's ambitions to break Qantas's near monopoly on the business travel market. He has been working overtime to shake up Virgin Blue since taking the reins in early May by axing unprofitable routes, rescheduling flights, overhauling its four brands, installing a new management team and forming alliances with other international airlines. His aim is to give business travellers what they want: flight frequency and better products and services on its aircraft and at airports.

His efforts to form alliances are intended to stop Virgin Blue's international business from burning a hole in its pocket. Put simply, he wants to use other airlines to help Virgin Blue build a large international network without having to fly its own avgas-guzzlers. Italian-born Borghetti talks often about the value of the ''Virgin culture'' he has inherited, but ultimately he will have to open his cheque book to spend on airport lounges and on-board products if the airline is to appeal to corporate customers.

It is a balancing act, however. He has to be mindful of keeping intact the airline's core business of flying leisure travellers around the country and overseas. ''I think Virgin knows this and will only change at the margin, and even that will take time,'' Fiani says. ''So while it's a reasonable approach for Virgin, I don't see it as much of a near-term threat to Qantas's corporate business.''

Insiders say Borghetti, 55, would not have taken on the job if he had to effectively buy the corporate market through heavy discounting because, quite simply, Virgin Blue does not have deep-enough pockets.

He accepted it on the basis that he did not have to give corporates 20 per cent discounts on fares to gain their custom. To do otherwise would have been the kiss of death.

However much his strategy is applauded by some investors, the first four months of his tenure has again shown that Virgin Blue and its rivals are susceptible to shocks beyond the control of even highly regarded industry veterans. Within three weeks of officially taking the reins, he had to issue a profit downgrade due to the discount dogfight between airlines for leisure travellers amid a shaky economic outlook.

He could breathe a little easier when Virgin Blue shares rallied by almost 60 per cent in the two weeks after he unveiled an alliance with Middle Eastern airline Etihad last month.

But that short honeymoon ended abruptly last week when US and Australian regulators flagged they would block Virgin Blue forming alliances with Delta Air Lines and Air New Zealand. Their draft decisions knocked the stuffing out of Borghetti's core strategy.

Despite the regulatory setbacks, Sharp, who is also the deputy chairman of Regional Express, believes Borghetti's game plan is the right one.

''John understands how Qantas wins the business market,'' he says. ''It will never have the business market that Qantas does, but I think it has the capacity to win a more substantial slice.

''The challenge for Virgin Blue is to keep a low-cost model operating while … offering a premium service for the business traveller. The other challenge is to pare the airline back to operating profitable services without affecting their network capability.''

The price war enveloping Jetstar, Virgin Blue and Tiger over the past six months highlights the reasons why Borghetti is targeting people who are prepared to pay for sitting at the pointy end of aircraft.

It remains a lucrative market despite the financial turmoil of the past two years. Industry insiders estimate the gross revenue - or value of tickets - from Australian corporates for international and domestic travel is about $5 billion (down from $6 billion before the global financial crisis).

Virgin Blue's only significant client win so far is the government-owned NBN Co. But with Borghetti having been the executive who looked after business bods at Qantas for years, many are placing their faith in his ability to attract other companies into the Virgin Blue tent.

So how will Qantas react to Borghetti's advances on its prized turf?

Alan Joyce, the Irishman who beat Borghetti to the top job at Qantas two years ago, is boosting the full-service operator's presence on routes it had previously allowed Jetstar to increase flights on.

As Borghetti knows well, Qantas is a formidable opponent given its frequent-flyer program and high-end services such as Chairman's Lounges at airports in Australian capital cities.

''It's pretty clear that Qantas is going to take the bull by the horns and go for it,'' says Rod Eddington, a former boss of British Airways and chairman of Ansett. ''The good news for Qantas is Virgin's international foray has been a very expensive one and it has limited its domestic options and ability to compete with Qantas.''

Eddington believes it will be a big challenge for Borghetti to meet his aim of lifting Virgin Blue's share of the business market from high single-digit figures to as much 20 per cent within the next two years.

''Virgin's balance sheet is much more stretched than it would be because of its international endeavours,'' he says. ''You don't double your market share by just doing more of what you do now. You have to make some substantive changes. Qantas and Jetstar are formidable competitors.''

By now, Borghetti had been wanting to put the final pieces of his international network jigsaw together. One of the big holes in his network is in south-east Asia, where Virgin Blue lacks an alliance partner.

Macquarie Equities has speculated that Virgin Atlantic is an ideal strategic partner to link to Hong Kong using the British airline's daily service between Sydney and London via Hong Kong.

However, other analysts believe Virgin Atlantic cannot give the Australian airline what it needs because most of the British airline's passengers originate in Europe.

After all, Virgin Blue needs an airline with a strong network in China or south-east Asia to channel passengers into Australia - not ''just someone who flies through it''. Singapore Airlines would be the top choice but is considered far less willing to accept any advances from Borghetti than others such as Malaysia Airlines.

But, as the past week has shown, any alliances plans are irrelevant if regulators cannot be convinced of their merits.

What can be assured is that a battle between Joyce and Borghetti for passengers at both ends of the travel market will become costly for all of Australia's airlines.

Graham Turner, the boss of Australia's largest travel agency chain, Flight Centre, believes the rapid rise in the size of the domestic travel market over the past decade could make it big enough for four airlines.

''But I don't think Tiger is strong enough to stay; it seems to be struggling to make money and grow,'' says Turner, who suggested Borghetti as a candidate for the top job to Branson last year. ''John has been through tough times before; I don't think he'll be too frazzled by some of the setbacks.''

Early last decade Qantas and Virgin Blue jumped into the gaping hole in the market left by Ansett's demise. Now, the tables have turned and four airlines have an expensive fight on their hands for Australian travellers.

''Borghetti's appointment means the game is afoot at both ends of the market - not just the leisure end,'' Eddington says.

''It is going to be a fascinating couple of years.''

Skystar320
18th Sep 2010, 10:21
All I can say, is go get them DJ!

Mr. Hat
6th Oct 2010, 21:29
From today's Australian

Virgin firing on all cylinders as reservation system is restored | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/virgin-firing-on-all-cylinders-as-reservation-system-is-restored/story-e6frg8zx-1225935115118)

...Virgin is moving ahead with its alliance with Etihad -- applying to the International Air Services Commission for capacity on services to Thailand, France, Greece, India and the United Arab Emirates -- after getting an initial green light from regulators.

The airline has also received support from Canberra and Sydney airports for its bid to reverse a ruling against a trans-Tasman alliance with Air New Zealand.

and from nzherald.co.nz

Call for overturn of Virgin ruling - Business - NZ Herald News (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10678677&ref=rss)

Sydney and Canberra Airports want the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission to overturn its opposition to an alliance between Air New Zealand and Virgin Blue on transtasman flights.

Canberra Airport said the proposed alliance would force a "competitive response" from Qantas and Jetstar on the route, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.

The airport said there was a "real risk" Virgin Blue would reduce or vacate the route if regulators did not approve the plan.

Sydney Airport chief executive Russell Balding said the deal would have "no meaningful impact on competition between airlines servicing transtasman routes and no meaningful anti-competitive detriment".

New Zealand airports want the regulator to stick with its original decision saying the alliance "is likely to reduce competition".

Thailand, France, Greece, India and the United Arab Emirates.. interesting to say the least.

unionist1974
11th Oct 2010, 10:16
JB does not seem to be the same without GD and PG holding his hand!

KittyBlue
12th Oct 2010, 05:12
what do you mean? im alittle lost with your comment, unionist1974.

DEFCON4
12th Oct 2010, 05:21
Il Duce doesnt need anyone holding his hand.
A lot of the nonsense going on at Virgin has absolutely nothing to do with Borghetti taking over.
Its a hangover from the previous CEO(?)
While at Qantas Borghetti was the sole voice of reason at the executive level
PG was the jolly green bean counter and Dixon was only where he was because of his mateship with Strong.
Qantas was managed by consultants and Borghetti.Dixon's contribution was the outdated concept of "silos".
Pity Borghetti didnt get the big gig at Qantas

KittyBlue
12th Oct 2010, 08:51
hell the 10th Anniversary video was old CEO stuff, no what Borghetti personally would do.

I think its good that Borghetti (apologies to him) didnt get the job at QF, so at least DJ have a fighting chance now to improve from what they originally designed/fell into the airline industry dramatically changed. My mates at DJ will be happy they have someone with the skills and development to lead them.

gobbledock
12th Oct 2010, 12:13
The challenge for Borghetti is time. He has to turn the place around expeditiously. He has the skills as a leader, he proved that at QF without doubt. But at Virgin he has walked into a cluster f#*k. The place has been trashed by previous so-called management. Some have gone, yet some of them remain, and until he wipes that slate clean the progress in turning the ship around won't happen quick enough to stem the flow of profits going down the drain. He had the luxury of some decent managers under his leadership at QF, at VB he is not quite so lucky.

Cactusjack
13th Oct 2010, 06:53
Good morning,

On 30 June with the announcement of the Group’s new structure, Group Executive Operations Andrew David also advised of his intention to leave The Virgin Blue Group of Airlines.

Andrew commenced with us in February 2005. During that time he has made a wonderful contribution and has overseen many landmark projects in the growth and development of this airline.

He will make his way around the network to say farewell with his last day being 23 November.

The Virgin Blue Group of Airlines has appointed Sean Donohue as Group Executive Operations commencing on 25 October 2010. Andrew will provide a formal handover of the role and responsibilities in accordance with CASA requirements.

Sean is an extremely experienced airline executive with 24 years at United Airlines, one of the world’s largest and most well-regarded airlines.

His immediate last role was Chief Executive Officer, Designate, for a global private group bidding on the privatisation of Midway Airport in Chicago .

Please join me in wishing Andrew the very best with his future endeavours and make Sean welcome joining the Virgin Blue Group of Airlines family.

Kind regards,

John Borghetti
CEO and Managing Director
Virgin Blue Group of Airlines

Well that is a relief. At least JB didn't recruit from within, not that any internal applicant's have the 'must have`s' anyway. Hopefully he will bring in more external management as time progresses. Out with the trash and bring in the new blood. However I would like to suggest JB keep the broom going, don`t put it away yet as there is still some cleaning left to do !

Kenny
13th Oct 2010, 14:36
The fact that anyone, even remotely connected with the management of United, is joining VB should ring some major alarm bells.

Having spent quite a few years flying in the US, working for one of UAL's contract carriers, I've seen first hand how UAL's management has farmed out mainline flying to the lowest bidder, with an army of eager youngsters willing to fly EMB's and CRJ's at poverty level wages. They retired an entire fleet of just over 100 73's in less than a year and replaced them with E170's and CR7's, that aren't flown by United Pilots.

UAL's ability to "Divide and Conquer" their employee groups should be a warning to all of us.

Jabawocky
14th Oct 2010, 10:24
Flew VB today for the first time in a few years....mostly QF and United:yuk: and I would have to say I am pleasantly surprised, clean A/C, nice smiling cabin crew and tech crew (paxing somehwere) and less of the cheesey crap from years ago. Well done to EVERY employee I had contact with. :D

Maybe its Mr Borgs changes happening.

Last flight was on VUX, must be only a few weeks old and no IFE.....which is great because I reckon the IFE is undersubscribed and not worth paying for on domestic sectors.

Provide what people need in economy, and some of what people want for the business market and you are on a winner.

As for flying in and out of YSSY....:hmm: retard vehicle will be going to YSBK next time!

J

wheels_down
14th Oct 2010, 10:28
Is this real or has someone been playing around in photoshop?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/auboy/virgpa.jpg

Looks similar to Atlantic's
(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/df/Virgin_Atlantic_2010.png)

VBPCGUY
14th Oct 2010, 11:37
Last flight was on VUX, must be only a few weeks old and no IFE

Been in service around two weeks now VUO VUP VUQ VUR VUS VUT VUV VUW VUX and BZG are all the new ones that have never been fitted with crap2air. Plus add on the five aircraft that have left the fleet with it VOH VOG VBQ VBR and VBS and none of the ejets are fitted with it either, you can fast see it is something they are phasing out:ok:

Goat Whisperer
15th Oct 2010, 00:14
Yuk.

the typeface makes it look like a women's magazine.

vorky
15th Oct 2010, 03:27
Yuk.

the typeface makes it look like a women's magazine.

Hahaha ... yes, would agree with that.

However it makes sense to realign the branding closer to the Virgin Airline group as a whole, for the last few years it has been a mess. With various Marketing managers coming through putting in their own 2c about it, it has made the brand a bit of a quagmire (giggity?).

The old blobby 'g' Virgin logo still makes an appearance every now and again, as opposed to the current cleaned up group logo.

Original type faces were Crillee and Eurostyle - this changed in 2007/8 to Adesso (looked like Comic Sans - still in use by Pacific Blue) and then finally in late 2008, Foundry Monoline, which at least had an air of professionalism to it. Unfortunately I've seen instances of all three fonts in use on the one page (hint: check the home page) ... :-/

For a very short period during V Australia's launch, they had their own font in use ... except the name escapes me. They were told to bring the branding back inline to prevent confusion.

So, at least with the clean slate, a more robust branding can be created - regardless of whether the jets arrive looking like a Cleo/Cosmopolitan makeover.

bubblyguy
15th Oct 2010, 15:40
VBPCGUY,

Hopefully soon VBU will go soon too!

Operated on it just 3 days ago. Hate it soooo much. Very embarrassing aircraft to be having in the fleet.

anawanahuanana
15th Oct 2010, 22:01
I think VBU still has another 2 or 3 years before it goes. God only knows how good the lease deal must be for it to still be in the fleet. It's a dog........:mad:

VBPCGUY
15th Oct 2010, 22:03
Hopefully soon VBU will go soon too!

Operated on it just 3 days ago. Hate it soooo much. Very embarrassing aircraft to be having in the fleet.

Ohh yes with its cloth seats from another operator, I think after VBQ VBR and VBS leave I think VOA is next out of the fleet. The advantage with VBU is it will be a simple cabin refit and repaint as she never had the crap2air fitted.

piston broke again
16th Oct 2010, 08:48
Ahhh VBU...guess who's got the interest in that one? (BG) Hence no Live2Air -apparently it costs a cool million to fix the holes in the upper fuselage. As to why there are no leather seat covers, who knows? At least its doing very little flying...guess we can thank new management for that (no sarcasm intended).

bubblyguy
17th Oct 2010, 00:08
piston broke again,

It is still doing quite a bit and they keep putting it on east coast to PER and back. Had quite a few PERSYD and MELPER on it.

So many guest complaints on those flights as a lot of what Virgin Blue advertise just isn't on the aircraft.

I suppose it is alright for a simple MELHBA or something but all the way to Perth, there has to be another option.

campdoag
17th Oct 2010, 01:30
Saw the new uniform last week. Looks Good!!!:D

Sunstar320
17th Oct 2010, 08:27
so campdoag, what does it look like. Spill the beans, its an anonymous community.

Red Jet
17th Oct 2010, 10:11
The new VB/VA pilot uniform is on display at the Uniform Hanger in Brisbane. Looks classy, according to those who have had a chance to have a look.

VBPCGUY
17th Oct 2010, 11:42
Had a laugh today as I had VBU today LOL made me think of this thread, I looked at her and thought YOU Darwin Diva are a the rut of the litter:}

porch monkey
17th Oct 2010, 13:40
Uniform is pretty similar to Virgin Atlantic.

Red Jet
17th Oct 2010, 21:17
Uniform is pretty similar to Virgin Atlantic.
Thank goodness it's more like Virgin Atlantic than Virgin America! Our North American siblings look more like Florida State Police Troopers, than pilots.

Perhaps the guys at Immigration at LAX will stop referring to us as "Russian Cargo pilots"!?

farrari
18th Oct 2010, 06:29
Virgin Atl is double b'd, I hope this one is not.

snakeslugger
18th Oct 2010, 07:31
They are single breasted jackets. The uniform is black with silver stripes...similar to the J* uniform. The new name is to be on the belt buckle along with the top of the hat.
Looked streets ahead of where we are now :D

Ken Borough
18th Oct 2010, 08:31
What deep and serious thinkers are the DJ lot? With the many problems afflicting the Virgin Group of companies, it beggars belief that the best that can be discussed is a bloody new uniform. :{:{

Says it all really. :ugh::ugh:

E.P.
18th Oct 2010, 08:45
I thought JB was attempting to wipe the low cost slate clean?

Rather than the Legacy look of the gold strips (QF, SIA, Virgin Atlantic, BA), the silver stripes are more the low cost JQ and some dodgy US airlines look.

Shame...

Di_Vosh
18th Oct 2010, 08:47
Says it all really.

Bit of an odd post there Ken. :confused:

Even with all "the many problems afflicting the Virgin Group of companies" is it not possible to have an opinion on the uniform?

DIVOSH!

Angle of Attack
18th Oct 2010, 09:14
Is there a cost saving in Silver eppauletes? Truth be known they are probably more expensive than the conventional gold which is more widespread. So why make them silver? Dumbing down of the profession?

wheels_down
18th Oct 2010, 09:24
TT/QF have gold so mabye they want something different. Sounds like a clone of the Tiger uniform minus the hat if they went for the gold.

The Green Goblin
18th Oct 2010, 09:28
Why is the glass always half empty :ugh:

Think of it as platinum boys and girls, far more of a status symbol than those nasty gold ones!

walaper
18th Oct 2010, 09:32
"What deep and serious thinkers is the DJ lot?" Ken perhaps you should put some more thought into your grammar :rolleyes:

Ken Borough
18th Oct 2010, 10:05
Sorry walaper. True to name, eh? I pressed the enter button before proofing what was typed. The error has been corrected - thank you. :ok:

inandout
18th Oct 2010, 10:38
Re silver/gold stripes. Silver was used because,
1. It goes with livery, no gold in new one.
2. Gold is now thought of as looking OLD, silver more modern, that's what the feed back was from both customers and staff.
3. Had to be different from QF.

my oleo is extended
18th Oct 2010, 11:44
Wow. How exciting all of this is. You never know, maybe the ASM's or should I say Leaders will get back into their 'reds' as well ?? Very exciting indeed. Can't wait for updates on hemlines, eyeliner and skin softners !!

puff
18th Oct 2010, 13:54
Shoulda gone for blue shirts to be 'different' :P

E.P.
19th Oct 2010, 01:21
What has the livery got to do with the uniform stripes??

Big question is, why did it have to be different from Virgin Atlantic?

Is the Mothership considered old and not modern? Is VB destined to always be the convict cousin? One brand and all that quaff, old boy.

Customers and staff preferred "silver stripes"??

You have to admit, the QF uniform does look stylish and professional, as opposed to the low cost (modern) JQ look...just the feedback from customers and staff!

grrowler
19th Oct 2010, 02:39
It's a uniform not an olympic medal:rolleyes:

According to this ad it looks like VA does use silver anyway.
http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-reporting-points/431006-virgin-atlantic-advert-coming-oz.html

joepatroni
19th Oct 2010, 03:04
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:-1v6p6OiKC2LcM:http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/03_04/CaptLynnES_468x668.jpg (http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/03_04/CaptLynnES_468x668.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-544972/BAs-female-pilot-controls-historic-T5-flight.html&usg=__wN6FyyrtOIDU0-6XBXNhPnJpytc=&h=688&w=468&sz=50&hl=en&start=6&sig2=pmdRalKchdJ72hdfJwp86A&zoom=1&itbs=1&tbnid=-1v6p6OiKC2LcM:&tbnh=139&tbnw=95&prev=/images%3Fq%3DBA%2BPILOTS%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26rlz%3D1T4ADBS_ enAU297AU298%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=4Qm9TOzoG4ywuAOW2MUc) So do BA .

Hoofharted
19th Oct 2010, 03:20
Good grief, aviation in Australia. :mad::ugh:

Mr. Hat
19th Oct 2010, 05:34
Amazing!
What deep and serious thinkers are the DJ lot? With the many problems afflicting the Virgin Group of companies, it beggars belief that the best that can be discussed is a bloody new uniform.

Says it all really.

Paxing pilots down the back in the middle seat with no meals whilst premium economy is completely empty has to be up there in the list of problems. If a new era of respect for pilots was about to take place you'd have to say this would have ceased months ago (Actions vs Words).

Uniforms are an ego card for some. Looking full service is different to actually being full service. Time will tell.

E.P.
19th Oct 2010, 05:51
Corrected I stand! Looks okay actually.

ad-astra
19th Oct 2010, 07:06
Hoofharted I share your frustration in reading this thread.

Plese tell me that there are more pressing issues than the colour of braid on a uniform.

C441
19th Oct 2010, 07:12
Yeah, you lot.

This is a serious professional's website.

We don't 'ave any frivolity around 'ere.:rolleyes:

UAL Furlough
22nd Oct 2010, 11:32
I hate to say it, but Qantas pilots in their uniforms, simply look like dorks...especially the pompous Captains!!!

Very stuffy indeed, I don't know how they stand themselves....

TIMA9X
22nd Oct 2010, 12:22
Wow, this thread makes me want to.....:{

cart_elevator
22nd Oct 2010, 12:34
Ah, dunno what youre talking about UAL Furlough

Even though they have them, I cant remember the last time I saw a Qantas pilot wear either a jacket or a hat! (except when there is a check captain around :E)

So pompous and stuffy?

TIMA9X
22nd Oct 2010, 12:44
So pompous and stuffyFar from it....

as for the thread drift

mourn the passing of a beloved friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was as his birth records were lost long ago in bureaucratic red tape ..... now it's the QF Captains uniform under the thread heading of Borghetti Swoops . :{

gobbledock
25th Oct 2010, 13:59
More rumblings have been taking place in the land of the funky furniture - The Village.
Some mid level manager's are not happy with Il Deuce disposing of higher level incompetents and bringing in 'outsiders' to the village, so they are plotting against the wiley Italion stallion.My question is plotting to do what ? Crawl out from under the desks they have been hiding under for a decade ?
Same managers are crying about other internal 'stains' receiving promotions by default also ! Word is that Il Deuce is again sharpening the sword and is very close to slicing some fungus off the village tree and then bringing in some other ex QF pals !

Perhaps in line with how this thread has drifted Borghetti may also introduce new uniforms, lipstick, higher hem lines and foundation make-up and new F/O only uniforms?

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2008/06/13/conchords_300_080522011441093_wideweb__300x300,1.jpg

qfguy
26th Oct 2010, 18:00
Interesting announcement that a certain high level ex Airport Mgr has just retired from QF after 42+ years and "will put his feet up for awhile"... Also intersting that he is good buddies with JB.. lets see where this goes!

winglets747
26th Oct 2010, 22:50
Replace the guy who got sacked over the V 777 wing brush at LAX?

standard unit
27th Oct 2010, 03:07
that a certain high level ex Airport Mgr has just retired from QF after 42+ years and "will put his feet up for awhile"... Also intersting that he is good buddies with JB.. lets see where this goes!

If you are referring to Roger Lindemann he'll be an enormous coup for VB.

No one who ever met him [in whatever capacity] could ever come a way less than impressed. He was loved by his staff who shed many a tear when he left LA.

An EX QF GM who had the ability to "bring his staff with him" rather than stand behind them with a stick.

That type where once a rare species at Qantas.

Now they are extinct, eh Lisley ???

Mr. Hat
27th Oct 2010, 04:34
No one who ever met him [in whatever capacity] could ever come a way less than impressed. He was loved by his staff who shed many a tear when he left LA.

Wow, I know nothing of the man but people like this in our industry are pretty rare.

I had one boss like him years ago. People bent over backwards to do more than what he asked of them. He had the gift I suppose.

standard unit
27th Oct 2010, 06:49
Yeah, one of nature's true Gentlemen who you just instinctively knew was of sound moral character.

I watched him take the opportunity to address a whole crew of senior [LA direct type] cabin crew a few years ago in the terminal during a delay situation.

He needn't have done so for any operational reason but chose to do so anyway.

In three minutes he left them feeling like valued employees who in turn acted on the way home as if they were so...........

No patronising, no grand standing just a man of deep personal integrity and decency.

The contrast between him and the sociopaths running the company now couldn't be more stark.

Eh, Lisley ????

Going Boeing
27th Oct 2010, 10:29
I totally agree, Roger Lindeman is a true gentleman with a wealth of experience in airline operations and has the ability to communicate well to all staff. If VB do manage to induce him into their fold, they are very big winners.

gobbledock
28th Oct 2010, 04:51
I dont know how Roger will settle in at The Village ? The Village idiots aren't really known for professionalism, decency, respect for others, or even interested in the lower ranked staff. Seems he may be a one of a kind.
Anyway, he will be a breath of fresh air amongst the stale stagnant stench of ****e that has wafted around senior management for the past decade.

Regardless, welcome aboard Roger and watch your back :ok:

scumbag
28th Oct 2010, 05:01
Photos: Boeing 737-4D7 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Nok-Air-(Thai/Boeing-737-4D7/1345128/M/)

The Green Goblin
28th Oct 2010, 05:22
What did you expect scumbag? Hi Vis Pilot shirts were always going to make an entrance on your nearest tarmac due OH&S at some stage!

:ok:

Neptunus Rex
28th Oct 2010, 06:42
joepatroni

So do BA .According to 'Nigel' they are not silver but platinum! That made me laugh.

Mr. Hat
9th Nov 2010, 20:26
Business class required for this one..

Virgin keen to bench Qantas sponsorship | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/business/virgin-keen-to-bench-qantas-sponsorship/story-e6frfm1i-1225950606889?from=public_rss)

Mike Sheahan From: Herald Sun November 10, 2010 12:00AM

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2010/09/23/1225928/211724-virgin-blue.jpg

VIRGIN Blue is tackling Qantas for the multi-million dollar rights to the title of the AFL's official carrier.

Virgin has made a powerful pitch to the AFL to break what has been seen as the Qantas stranglehold on the rights, believed to be worth up to $5 million a year.

Qantas, whose agreement expires this year, is keen to extend an association that started in 2002 after the collapse of Ansett Airlines.

Neither airline would comment yesterday, while the AFL declined to discuss the matter.

AFL spokesman Brian Walsh said only: "We don't provide running commentary on discussions with any of our commercial partners."

Qantas provides thousands of seats a year to AFL clubs at a heavily discounted price for travelling parties of up to 45 players, staff and officials.

Then there's the thousands of other seats for AFL officials and staff, and club coterie and supporter groups.

Virgin Blue is believed to see the AFL brand as a major marketing tool while Qantas is equally keen to retain the bragging rights that come with a commercial partnership with Australia's biggest sport.

While Virgin is believed to have trumped Qantas in financial terms, Qantas has scheduling advantages, particularly in terms of flights to and from Perth.
A decision is expected before Christmas.

piston broke again
9th Nov 2010, 20:53
Just saw that myself Mr Hat...

Once the 330's arrive (albeit 2 of them initially) scheduling to Perth would start to look a bit more attractive, and given these are due in Feb it would tie in with the start of the AFL season. At the moment, 4 return flights between MEL and PER each day doesn't really cut it for big business. Be interesting to see the outcome. Bring on the sponsors box tickets!!!

Mr. Hat
9th Nov 2010, 21:27
I don't know much about the AFL but would assume the top brass would want business class seats/facilities. I think the timing of the new brand role out sounds 6 months too late to get the contract. I could be wrong though..(have been many many times before).

piston broke again
9th Nov 2010, 21:58
Yeah, agree, business class would have to form a part of the deal, at least for the higher execs and upgrade when available for senior team members. My guess would be announce everything early Dec before everyone breaks for xmas, begin the roll out Feb when new uniforms come online etc.

Capn Bloggs
9th Nov 2010, 21:59
At the moment, 4 return flights between MEL and PER each day doesn't really cut it for big business.
Surely the frequency will drop if A330s are put on, or are they going to be filled up with extra passengers?

Mr. Hat
9th Nov 2010, 22:26
Its a massive job (brand change, terminal/fleet upgrade refit), sorry to be pessimistic but I can't see it happening quickly no matter how much money you throw at it.

Chasing the AFL is a smart move in my book having said all the above.

stubby jumbo
10th Nov 2010, 03:00
Come back to Qantas JB ....all is forgiven.

It was all Dixons fault-it was his idea to put in a Leprechaun ahead of Il Duce-I tink!!!!!

So when you're back in the leather saddle on QCA/9. Here are a list of first day "TO DO'S"

1. Send the 6 flying croissants back to Airbus and cancel all future orders
2.Do what you wanted to do back in 2002. Order 45 -Boeing 777-200's L/R (EK have a similar number and they are beautiful !)
3. Ensure that the donks on the 787 are GE's not RR's
4. Bring back our own engine maintenance facility to Oz.
5.Get the airline back to his glory days and put the operation/staff first and bean counters & shareholders last.

Cheers
Stubby

standard unit
10th Nov 2010, 04:05
It's pretty well understood I think that all of the above was what JB was going to do and that's precisely why he didn't get the gig.

Shame for Qantas really...........

topend3
10th Nov 2010, 10:23
It's pretty well understood I think that all of the above was what JB was going to do and that's precisely why he didn't get the gig.

Shame for Qantas really...........

This very simplistic view implies that the CEO makes all the decisions on his own. The reality is that he is there to implement the desires of the board, and they have a BIG say on the bottom line. To suggest JB would have done all of the above with the wave of a magic wand is a little bit inaccurate me thinks...

standard unit
10th Nov 2010, 10:33
Yes you are right of course.

Was being a little facetious but the sentiment remains the same.

I believe that he wanted to do was what he thought was best for Qantas which appears in stark contrast to the actions of those who now run the show. It's been run as a vehicle to leverage Jetstar's expansion and not much more for years.

Plenty of us think the future wouldn't be such a bright shade of orange if he'd been given the CEO position as JB had a long history and I imagine some emotional attachment to the Rat. Obviously the board do not and he was passed over for a Leprechaun with empty words.

Is it true that JB was the only one of the Politburo who didn't support the APA sale??

rammel
10th Nov 2010, 22:28
When WA clubs play in LST, QF have put on additional flights PER-LST-PER direct at times which suit the team playing. This eliminates the stop over in MEL and keeps the teams and AFL happy. There are also other things QF do, will VB be able to do this too? I've got a feeling QF will keep it at this point in time, but who knows further down the track.

my oleo is extended
11th Nov 2010, 06:34
Is it true that JB was the only one of the Politburo who didn't support the APA sale??
Yes it is true.

standard unit
11th Nov 2010, 06:40
Ah, a man who placed principle over self interest.

No wonder he had to go.........

Virgin Musthave
18th Nov 2010, 05:42
JB is 'the chosen one'. He will turn the place around, no doubt. Problem is that time is against him. The place is bleeding coin hand over fist and he needs to act quick to stop the flow of money heading down the drain.
I have full confidence that he has the 'must haves'.

inandout
21st Nov 2010, 01:30
I see Mr B has opened a Sydney city office with some 50 people.

PPRuNeUser0198
21st Nov 2010, 02:15
Ensure that the donks on the 787 are GE's not RR's

Ummm, the QF/JQ 78's are not powered by rollers - they've got the GE's...

AirborneSoon
21st Nov 2010, 03:08
I see Mr B has opened a Sydney city office with some 50 people.

You didn't really think he would relocate to Brisbane did you?

forgetabowdit
21st Nov 2010, 04:48
No one disputes the importance of timely restructuring and quick product redevelopment - it is rather limbo land with regard to the product at the moment pending the relaunch (in aviation timely is measured in years and months and not days and weeks in many ways).

But:

The place is bleeding coin hand over fist

I assure you it is not.

Skystar320
21st Nov 2010, 06:07
he place is bleeding coin hand over fist and he needs to act quick to stop the flow of money heading down the drain.

Don't we love the probationary's that come on pprune and post unconditional false reports

Remember, one identity isnt private on this forum and providing false reports can lead to something you wouldn't imagine to happen.

Going Boeing
25th Nov 2010, 00:58
Virgin Blue Selects Rockwell Collins Avionics for New B737 NG Fleet

ASDNews: Nov 23, 2010
Brisbane, Australia - Virgin Blue Airlines has selected the entire suite of Rockwell Collins' scaleable avionics for its new fleet order of Boeing 737 NG airplanes (50 firm, plus 25 options; 25 purchase rights). The full suite of communication, navigation and surveillance systems features Rockwell Collins' newest SAT-2200 satellite communication (SATCOM) offering, as well as its proven MultiScan(tm) Threat Detection System, TTR-2100 Traffic Avoidance System (TCAS) and GLU-925 Multi-Mode Receiver (MMR).

With this award, Virgin Blue is the first airline to select the Rockwell Collins SAT-2200 SATCOM system, which integrates traditionally separate avionics and cabin functionality into a single unit that provides classic aero services and broadband services.

"Virgin Blue has selected the right combination of next generation avionics solutions that will provide increased operational efficiency and safety benefits, as well as a smoother, more enjoyable ride for their passengers," said Jeff Standerski, vice president and general manager, Air Transport Systems for Rockwell Collins. "For example, the Rockwell Collins SAT-2200 system meets passengers' connectivity needs during flight and provides countless cockpit communication advantages over previous generations."

Details about avionics package selected by Virgin Blue:

SAT-2200 is designed to maintain communications without pilot intervention during all flight phases while also connecting passengers to broadband services. SAT-2200 complies with the latest ARINC 781 industry standard for Inmarsat SATCOM capability for classic Aeronautical, Swift64 and SwiftBroadband operation.

-- WRT-2100 MultiScan(tm) Threat Detection System is a fully automatic, hands-free airborne radar system. MultiScan provides optimal clutter-free weather displays that reduce pilot workload and enhance safety and passenger comfort by minimizing unexpected turbulence encounters.
-- TTR-2100 is a traffic computer-capable TCAS derived from Rockwell Collins' integrated surveillance product line, which offers technology that can adapt to the evolving air traffic management requirements. The system enhances situational awareness of traffic situations by detecting and displaying potential collision threats.
-- The advanced GLU-925 MMR provides the aircraft's primary position, velocity and time reference, and enables precision landing capability. It is the first MMR certified for precision landing using either Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) or Instrument Landing Systems (ILS) allowing for more precision landings as well as en route and non-precision approaches.
Source : Rockwell Collins, Inc. (NYSE: COL)

Mr. Hat
29th Nov 2010, 02:27
Announcements cant be that far off....

Virgin Blue's first serve in battle for corporate travellers | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/virgins-first-serve-in-battle-for-corporate-travellers/story-e6frfh4f-1225962373504?from=public_rss)http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2010/11/28/1225962/371818-john-borghetti.jpg
Virgin Blue boss John Borghetti eyes the business dollars. Picture: Jon Hargest Source: Herald Sun

Geoff Easdown From: Herald Sun November 29, 2010 12:00AM
Virgin Blue's chief executive is hell-bent on winning the high-yield suits that fly Qantas and he is telling would-be customers that Australia's second airline is about to go upmarket.

"And we're not going to have stroganoff in business class that happens to be the same as what is served in economy but on a bigger plate," he says taking a swipe at his former employer.

Virgin aims to grab about $200 million in business travel revenue from Qantas, giving it about 20 per cent of the corporate flyer market.

The move signals a marketing war of epic proportions. John Massimo Borghetti and Alan Joyce, his opposite number at Qantas, are keenly aware the suits market yields their biggest profits.

Mr Borghetti also knows Virgin Blue can no longer rely on mum and dad leisure travellers to stay profitable; that market is being squeezed by a rapidly growing Jetstar and Tiger Airways.

Both Mr Borghetti and Mr Joyce are well armed and will go into battle with markedly different strategies. Qantas has deeper pockets to fund any war of attrition and a high-level rewards program with attractive prizes for frequent travellers.

Mr Borghetti, on the other hand, is ideally suited to lead Virgin's attack strategy, having previously been the number three man at Qantas, where he rose from mail room boy to executive general manager.

Mr Borghetti is also a born salesman, evidenced at a Sydney lunch where everyone with a Virgin Velocity card was upgraded on the spot to gold standard.

"We have 10 per cent of the corporate market and we want to grow that to 20," he tells BusinessDaily.

"While it is a small increase it is big enough for us to be happy with," says Borghetti, explaining that he aims to diversify the carrier's income stream.

"At the moment we are too exposed at the leisure end, and like any good business, we need to hedge our revenue line.

"What I am doing is fast-tracking the evolution of an airline where the key aim is to double our share of available corporate traffic.

"I know we can do it, but in order to achieve what we want, some basic things need to be addressed, like creating an international network of airline alliances and enhancing our inflight and airport products."

Mr Borghetti, like all commanding generals, is not giving much away other than to infer the battle will be fought on several fronts - in domestic and international ticket sales and by seeking to undermine his rival's dominance as a sponsor of high-profile sport.

He is acquiring four 300-seat A330-200 jets to cash in on the mining boom, providing an airlink from the West Australian mines to the merchant banks that fund them in Sydney.

Virgin will also become the AFL's airline of choice. Next football season Virgin jets will carry 18 teams, 60 players, staff and officials, plus fans, across the nation. Insiders suggest the deal could generate as much as $8 million a year in revenue.

Those close to Mr Borghetti suggest he is chasing other sports, including the Australian Open Tennis championship and golf tournaments

He boasts having won the travel contract for the National Broadband Network and says other government traffic has also grown.

A suggestion that he is also about to swap the drab brown Virgin uniform for a bright new-look, draws the following response.

"You'll have to wait and see," he says, declaring that the roll-out of his change strategy should be completed by the end of next year.

Mr Borghetti's change plan is delicately hinged on winning approvals for new global alliances - a trans-Pacific tie-up with Delta Airways and a pairing with Air New Zealand across the Tasman.

On both Mr Borghetti has sought to appease the concerns of competition regulators who have yet to give their rulings.

Also on the agenda is a partnership with Middle East carrier Etihad, which he needs to recover the tens of millions his long-haul brand V Australia squandered on loss-making services.

Asked why people would fly V Australia when they could enjoy Etihad's world acclaimed service, Mr Borghetti replies: "Etihad wouldn't put our code on their aeroplanes if the product was not up to standard.

"And, we'll be offering them a one-stop service to dozens of destinations in Europe. If you go with Qantas, you only have Heathrow or Frankfurt."

Reminded that Mr Joyce publicly slammed V Australia's Etihad strategy, Mr Borghetti replies: "If we didn't think it was going to be profitable we wouldn't be doing it".

7378FE
29th Nov 2010, 04:59
JB has been out there courting the upper echelons of the business and government world, even going so far as to question them on what should be on the J class menus. Hot bacon rolls seemed to be a firm favorite for a short haul breakfast. :ok:

There was also the issue of The Lounge, JB has promised to look into a more exclusive offering for the big end of town similar to the Chairmans Lounge at QF. The Borghetti Bar perhaps. :O

gobbledock
29th Nov 2010, 05:19
I admit that as a very frequent business traveller and aviation industry employee I am not Virgin's number 1 fan. However, with the absolute decline especially in the past 18 months of QF business class service, horrid meals, some declining lounges, woeful customer service, unreliabilty (and the list goes on) I am not suprised that Borghetti is about to strike !

The market is ripe for the picking. Joyce is his own worst enemy, turning QF into a low cost outfit by menas of his cost cutting. What is wrong with the shareholder ? Dixon and Joyce have murdered a good product, giving busniess away to the opposition. What shambles. And they keep (were) getting paid for their foolishness ?

Anyway John, I will give your product a go !! A tin of spam served cold onboard a Metro freighter would be better than QF business at the moment.