PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam self sponsored upgrade

Packs off
28th Jun 2010, 10:54
Can't find anything recent or detailed. Heard rumours of self sponsoredf 320 upgrades (RHS to LHS) at Vietnam Airlines. Anyone got any more info on this, such as, is it true, minimum requirements, cost, etc.? Also if it is available do they offer any employment afterwards or is it just revenue generation for the training department?

Dream Land
30th Jun 2010, 08:20
There is no real ongoing program, if the airline needs additional captains, they will request names of individuals that are interested in their upgrade program.

You are basically resigning your current position to enter the program, so if you fail, you are now in no mans land, you will have to pay to get back to your previous position.

It is based on merit, if you are not in good standing with management, you will not get the opportunity. I think the last group of A320 guys that did the program had to put up a bond, plus agree to $15k for the training. As soon as you begin the IOE, you were in the past at full captain's salary, until that point you were not getting paid, you then have a three year obligation after completing the program.

This is just a rough idea of how it worked in the past, I also believe the contract agencies helped out with the bond in some cases.

Pilots that were accepted had already been around a year or two, hope this helps.

D.L. :ok:

Packs off
30th Jun 2010, 08:42
Thanks Dream Land, useful info. The bond/price seems less of a deterrent than the Air Asia route to the LHS. Best to contact the relevant agencies to see how the land lies at the moment, I think. Anyone else got any info or views on the subject?