PDA

View Full Version : Leeds-Bradford IR Test Routes

cl0ud9
28th Jun 2010, 06:44
Does anyone know the current IR test routes used from Leeds-Bradford? If anyone who has recently done their IRT from there, could you let me know please?

BIGBAD
28th Jun 2010, 06:48
In 2002 - Teeside, Humberside, Blackpool !

Vulcan607
28th Jun 2010, 19:52
I'd get out of the frame of mind of only wanting to know test routes.

If you've been given decent training throughout your IR you should be competent to fly whatever the examiner puts in front of you.

Tracking a VOR is tracking a VOR regardless if its the Trent VOR, Turnberry VOR or the Brecon VOR.

Aswell with NDB tracking........give or take some beacons may be offset.

And as for an blasting down an airway, does it matter if its airway P600 or UN615 or whatever?

A CAA examiner I know once laughed when I asked about standard routes, he would deliberately take you somewhere you havent been to make a point you should be able to fly anywhere.........which I now agree with. I didnt at the time because when I did my IR all they did was the same 4 routes over and over.

If your going forward towards airline flying and a sim assessment comes up, you cant go in and say you cant fly to cardiff because you've never been there on your training can you?

Have confidence mate, go and fly the proper techniques you were taught and I'm sure you'll be fine!

All the best dude :ok:

G-SPOTs Lost
28th Jun 2010, 20:03
And as for an blasting down an airway, does it matter if its airway P600 or UN615 or whatever?

Wow thats some Duchess that!!!!

Familiarity can breed contempt........ on my first attempt, the only place not less than 200m was my home field that I'd been teaching IMC's at for years...so of we went, still got it wrong......

Learn the procedures, kick the arse out of the sim flying random routes learn to deal with hold entries from wierd directions, try to fly the sim non-brief and arrive at a beacon having worked out the wind in your head on the way.

You can impress the examiner not just by keeping needles in the middle but good airmanship and obviously having a grasp of the navigational picture in your head, if you have it he'll spot it

silverknapper
28th Jun 2010, 21:17
All above points valid, but let's face it we would all like a heads up when it comes to our IRT route. Anyone who says they would prefer to go on a route they have never done or seen with 30mins to plan is a liar. Or weird.
Ages ago but it used to be as Bigbad says, Teeside and Blackpool mainly. But in Summer HUY could be thrown in. Unusual in Winter due to, from memory, the level you would have to obtain to enter controlled airspace. I tested in winter and had never flown the HUY route but wa very clear in my mind how I would go about it.
As an aside the examiner in LBA is a good guy. Not out to catch anyone out. Put on a good show all round and don't worry.

Vulcan607
28th Jun 2010, 21:40
yes all valid points.

And I would agree with the point that any IRT candidate would much rather prefer going on an IRT doing a route they've already flown.

My point tho, is I'd like to see pilots coming thru the system now having the confidence to apply their skills/techniques anywhere away from "standard routes" if required instead of them thinking "what if the examiner takes me there and I've never flown there before?"

Dave Clarke Fife
28th Jun 2010, 21:42
All above points valid, but let's face it we would all like a heads up when it comes to our IRT route. Anyone who says they would prefer to go on a route they have never done or seen with 30mins to plan is a liar. Or weird.
Ages ago but it used to be as Bigbad says, Teeside and Blackpool mainly. But in Summer HUY could be thrown in. Unusual in Winter due to, from memory, the level you would have to obtain to enter controlled airspace. I tested in winter and had never flown the HUY route but wa very clear in my mind how I would go about it.
As an aside the examiner in LBA is a good guy. Not out to catch anyone out. Put on a good show all round and don't worry.

I take it Capt Fish no longer resides at LBA then?? (That dates me doesn't it!!!)

shaun ryder
30th Jun 2010, 04:31
My point tho, is I'd like to see pilots coming thru the system now having the confidence to apply their skills/techniques anywhere away from "standard routes" if required instead of them thinking "what if the examiner takes me there and I've never flown there before?"

I see you must have vast experience yourself considering you only completed your mcc last year? Just for the record, you a very unlikely to be planning trips to Cardiff during a sim check.

Good on the original poster for trying to get a heads up.

horsebox
30th Jun 2010, 10:49
The test is expensive, and in the real world there is only a limited number of places they will take you. If you are familiar with the route you might save yourself a schoolboy error or two. Planning ahead is a commercial reality.

Its normally a pole sid out of leeds, airways section to either Durham or Blackpool, Holds and Non precision approach on two engines, missed approach, single engine and general handling work , back across to Leeds, you will be set up on one engine for an ils, then go around into a bad weather circuit to land. Visiting examiners will sometimes vary the sequence a little.

Occasionaly it will be Doncaster or Humberside. You will run through the various routes when you do the course. Most schools cover a few other random locations in the sim to broaden your experience.

GARDENER
30th Jun 2010, 11:51
Sorry for the drift, just think thats a bit of a cheap shot from Shaun Ryder. How can you tell how experienced someone is by when they did their MCC? You can have thousands of hours experience and never do an MCC. Ex mil, non commercial, Single pilot ops etc.

I echo what has been stated that the ability to go anywhere at short notice is the true test. This said I know when I did my IR (consequently out of Leeds) the route knowledge was V important to me!

shaun ryder
1st Jul 2010, 07:58
It is called the search function.

I am sure Vulcan607 will be flattered by your knight in shining armour approach to my post GARDENER.

Vulcan607
4th Jul 2010, 10:25
yeah clearly am impressed with the knight in shining armour approach :ok:

shaun.ryder, if you've got the time to go and use the search function to look up someone else clearly you seem like a bit of an odd-ball.

You've deviated clearly from the original point too, I never said there was anything wrong with getting a heads on up "IR standard routes", what my point was moving forward guys have to think they should be able to fly wherever using the proper techniques taught to them during their training.

This website has a lot of people who dont have anything positive to say so do yourself a favour mate, if you've nothing good to say dont say it at all!

Oh and as for my background, might have got an MCC only last year, but background before that........well I'll let you go and use the search function again to see if you can find that 1 out.

And as for saying I'd like to see people come through the training system more confident, I can say that because a good few guys at the school I did my CPL/IR were ****ting themselves that the CAA examiner would take them somewhere other than the 4 standard routes used at that school.

Go and get a grip of yourself, I came to this forum with a bit of positive advice moving forward with the original posters career

By the time you've finished your IR, you should be able to fly any route. In a discussion with another experienced pilot there "you should be able to fly any route/approach, getting familiar before hand is just a bonus"

Going towards getting a simulator assessment with an airline can you turn round and say "sorry mr flight crew manager, I cant perform the simulator assessment because the airfield your using for the assessment I've never been to!" --- ???

Doubt it!

I agree with your point getting a heads up is important......my point is moving forward with your career you should have confidence to fly any routes/approaches using the proper techniques you've been taught during your training. Are you disagreeing with that?