PDA

View Full Version : Canberra

ExAscoteer
27th Jun 2010, 01:38
Today is the day my friend Cameron died, 20 years ago in a Canberra (and my friend Jacko got out).

We were behind them on the ILS into Kinloss (JMC 902) when they 'blacked' us.

Div 1. was Lossie which immediately went out, Div 2 . was Leuchars, which had gone 'crap' so we stretched home to St. Mawgan.

Our Kinloss 'judges' were transported home the next day.

Sleep well Cameron old friend.... we miss you.

Jackonicko
27th Jun 2010, 10:27
I'm not that Jacko, but I'd want to add my condolences.

I knew Cameron when he was a Cadet Pilot on ULAS, and considered him a friend. I'll always remember his for his motivation, his quiet determination, his decency, and an epic sense of humour and capacity for fun.

Is it really 20 years?

Dengue_Dude
27th Jun 2010, 14:04
Yep, long time ago isn't it?

I remember teaching Cameron on the Canberra OCU (we had a minor disagreement as to whether my teaching was interfering with his social life! :)).

However, he was always a nice young chap - such a pity. It was an icing descent wasn't it? Doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

RIP old chap.

topgas
27th Jun 2010, 22:34
Military Aircraft Accident Summary is at
http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/CFAA5379-E99E-4935-B03D-BE4ECC377B11/0/maas90_01_canberra_emk15_27jun90.pdf

Trim Stab
28th Jun 2010, 08:32
There was an interesting thread on flying the Canberra a while back which shed some interesting light on the reference speeds of the Canberra on approach. It still astonishes me that the Vapp was lower than the single-engine Vapp - thereby ensuring that the aircraft would be very hard, if not impossible, to control if an engine-surged on go-around, especially in IMC.

Strobin Purple
28th Jun 2010, 12:07
I was on the home team back at Wyton that evening. Jacko was one lucky fella to hobble away from that one. Did some serious damage to Cameron's bar bill that night, more than he'd done ever before as he was tee-total.

RIP Cameron.

BB

Fatterthanalbert
5th Jul 2010, 19:28
20 years - It seems like yesterday.

RIP Cameron, old buddy. You did nothing wrong.

Still Hobblin'!