PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Namibia from Cape Town

jv2379
26th Jun 2010, 21:12
I will be going to Cape Town next month to hour build and would like to fly to Namibia to see the Fish river Canyon.

Which airports will you need to fly to in order to clear customs?
Where in Southern Namibia can one get Avgas?
Is there relatively cheap accommodation near the Fish river Canyon?

Any other useful info will also be appreciated.

DaFly
28th Jun 2010, 07:38
You can try and organise customs in Keetmanshoop (FYKT), but you won't get AVGAS. The only AVGAS you can get in southern Nam would be at Luederiz (FYLZ). Immigration can be organised as well. But you have to do that 1 or 2 days before you arrive. And be prepared to wait for a few hours.

I'm not aware of cheap accommodation at the fish river canyon, but you can have a look at Canon Lodge of the Gondwana Collection (google it).

It is a trip worth while the trouble. Depending on were you have done your training and what type of a/c you will use, be very aware of hot & high.

Let me know, if you don't have access to "Airfields of Southern Africa".

Voel
28th Jun 2010, 14:29
The best bet would be to fly coastwise (weather permitting) to Oranjemund (FYOG), clear customs there, get AVGAS and hop over to one of the many lodges near the Fish River canyon. Google "Gondwana Namibia" and you will get many landing strips. The alternate would be via Keetmanshoop, and as far as I know, AVGAS was last availble, but only prior arrangments. Fone the airport and ask for "Olli". Nice guy who can also assist with info on any landing strips around Fish River Canyon

I left Namibia about one and half years ago, so things might have changed.

PS. If you can read Afrikaans here an intersting link on Gondwana

Trek die kaart van Namibië self (http://www.republikein.com.na/politiek-en-nasionale/kompetisies/trek-die-kaart-van-namibi-self.109303.php)

zoneout
29th Jun 2010, 17:53
Hi, best check on avgas at FYOG before you go: in fact, thats goes for anywhere in Southern Africa these days!

DaFly
30th Jun 2010, 10:58
be aware of Oranjemund NOT having AVGAS. I just passed through there and they don't have any.
Same counts for Keetmanshoop, no AVGAS available, unless you are very lucky and have very good connections.

Luederitz has got AVAGS most of the time, but you must phone ahead. No refueling takes place, once the wind has picked up so that the sand starts flying.

The Mint
23rd Jul 2010, 11:11
Hello there,

Am thinking of doing exactly the same thing in september time. Would love to chat and see what info you have, have pm'd my contact email.

Al