PDA

View Full Version : Lufthansa pilots, giving up Scope and Pay?

Donkey Duke
26th Jun 2010, 16:20
[url]http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-

FRANKFURT (Dow Jones)--Deutsche Lufthansa AG (LHA.XE) said Friday staff costs will be reduced under the agreement reached with a pilots' union after a protracted labor dispute, while strategic flexibility will be left to management.

"We particularly value the concessions [pilots' union] Vereinigung Cockpit made in the wage area, which is an important contribution to lowering Lufthansa's costs in a sustainable way," said Roland Busch, negotiator and chief financial officer at Lufthansa's passenger operations.

Busch said he is content with the deal. "Like always in mediation, both parties had to make concessions," he said. The deal will require a lot from Lufthansa, but it also gives the company a high level of reliability, he added.

Late Thursday, Lufthansa and VC said they accepted a mediator's proposal, ending their labor dispute. They agreed to a pay freeze until March 2011, and the deal also protects jobs and assures the union's input in growth plans for the German airline.

Lufthansa said the scope clause for regional units will be extended to 95 seats from 70. This means all aircraft with a seating capacity of 95 or less can be deployed at Lufthansa's regional subsidiaries.

-By Kirsten Bienk and Hilde Arends, Dow Jones Newswires; +49 69 29 725 506;

Back in the States, if you give up Scope, you have lost it forever. Any reason Lufthansa pilots allowed this? An explanation would be nice. DD

Iver
26th Jun 2010, 17:20
I guess this is good news for the Cityline pilots out there. Clarity is important for both groups of pilots. With increasing LCC competition, LH will need to fly lower cost flights domestically - right? The E190s will also be much more comfortable for passengers than the CRJ series.

So, ultimately, how many E190s will Lufthansa Cityline be able to fly? How many E190s are currently flown by Cityline? Is the plan for Cityline to replace all Avros with E190s?

What about the CR9 fleets at Cityline and Eurowings? How many seats in a Cityline CR9? What proportion of Cityline's fleet will be E190 to CR9?

Donkey Duke
26th Jun 2010, 18:38
Studi,

Thank you for the clarification. Can the Cityline pilots bid mainline LH planes, LH cargo, and even LHI aircraft? Are Eurowings pilots on the LH seniority list? Can a Cityline pilot move from subsidiary to subsidiary if there is a slot open? Cheers.

Boneman
29th Jun 2010, 15:27
Anyone know where I can see DLH pilot's payscales?

CptRegionalJet
2nd Jul 2010, 10:22
LH Cityline will be limited to 14 EMB 190/95...everything else(excluding the 5@ EN and 5 @ IQ)is going to be mainline.
Should LH have more than 330 A/C by 2015 that number can increase.
Should we not expand above 330 frames ALL EMB will be moved to mainline.In this case we would be f..... (due to retirement of the Avro fleet).Talk about a secure future here....:hmm:

TOFFAIR
2nd Jul 2010, 20:38
I think that might be the reason they ordered more CR9 rather then junglejets... I think this will give LH at whole a lack of flexibilityon finding the ideal fleet. On the other hand I cant imagine LH classic pilots being eager to fly something else than Boeing or Airbus, so once they retire the "bobbies" that scope would jump to 130 seats or so to include more E195 and possibly C100/130s otherwise even the order for Swiss would become obsolete as they might not operate markets they could fit better than "classics" aircraft...
Overall the deal seems to be ok for now, and i guess competition will tell for how long.