PDA

View Full Version : More Binbrook 1987 video

Mike7777777
26th Jun 2010, 06:05
YouTube - THE LAST LIGHTNING SHOW 1987 WITH A TWIST. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx28jWfr80w)

Including ball of water vapour with Lightning nose appearing as if by magic.

Slightly artistic but none the worse for that.

Lightning Mate
26th Jun 2010, 08:40
Just had to go and get some tissue paper for me eyes.

Water vapour? Artistic......?

If you are referring to the transonic passes, go Google the Prandtl-Glauert theory. ;)

Thanks for the post.

Mike7777777
26th Jun 2010, 09:19
Artistic comment was in reference to loop and colour edits. Prandtl-Glauert theory probably says something about squeezing damp air until the small water droplets condense into bigger water droplets.

I prefere the alternative view that this was in fact a Lightning in transit from a different dimension, and there is no evidence to disprove this ;)

Wander00
26th Jun 2010, 09:52
Thanks - served at Binbrook 80-82 (albeit in Handbrake House) and was there for the final (and very wet) airshow. Have just sent to video on to my then teenage sons, who were with me on that day.

Lightning Mate
26th Jun 2010, 10:20
..view that this was in fact a Lightning in transit from a different dimension..

The Frightening was indeed in a dimension all of it's own mate.:ok:

GeeRam
26th Jun 2010, 20:54
The person taking that video must have been standing no more than about 20 feet away from me at the time :)

chiglet
27th Jun 2010, 20:36
The only genuine footage of that show is the "Shockwave" footage. I was there and the USAF A10 did a Horizontal display. The AWAC did a "flyby". Yes a 9ship launched, but I didn't see any formation flying...:confused:
I've got a Shockwave F6 on the wall behind me.:ok:

They even cancelled the DC3 trips...as I joined the queue :{ That'a how bad the wx was

GeeRam
28th Jun 2010, 19:21
Yes a 9ship launched, but I didn't see any formation flying...

You must have gone off to the loo then or something, as I can assure the 9-ship did do at least one formation flyby in the clag, mayhave been two before seperating into two formations to high speed run and breaks. I also filmed it :ok:

chiglet
28th Jun 2010, 21:08
GeeRam
I was on the flightline with my "ex" and my son. Spoken to them and they cannot remember the 9 ship flyby. I was using film, and would have photographed a 9ship, rather than the Fungus on the trees in the car park. Unfortunately, due to moves, I've mislaid the negs...so "memory" has to take a front seat.
Cheers,
Chas

Mike7777777
1st Jul 2010, 17:57
Over the years, the rather damp weather at the Last, Last Lightning Show has added to its almost mythical status, the shockwave footage is iconic. Shamefully, I must admit to drifting away from the Frightning in the 1980s so I did not attend the event, despite a good grounding in English Electric's finest products in the 1960s.

GeeRam
1st Jul 2010, 21:09
GeeRam
I was on the flightline with my "ex" and my son. Spoken to them and they cannot remember the 9 ship flyby. I was using film, and would have photographed a 9ship, rather than the Fungus on the trees in the car park. Unfortunately, due to moves, I've mislaid the negs...so "memory" has to take a front seat.

Chas, it was 22 years ago...... but I can assure you there was a 9-ship pass, in fact, I've just dug out my video and watched it, and as I mentioned previously the 9-ship in fact made two curving passes in diamond 9 and as they approached the flightline for the third pass the formation split with the front 5 'V' continuing along the flightline and the back 4 of the diamond spliting away and curving east across the northern end of the airfield.

A quick trawl on the net has thrown up one photo of one of the 9-ship passes taken on 22nd August.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/5/2/7/0752725.jpg

Click here for the link to the photograher stating it was taken on this date.

Photo Search Results | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?countrysearch=-+Binbrook+%28GSY+%2F+EGXB%29+%28closed%29&sort_order=photo_id+desc&page_limit=15&daterange=1987&range=2&page=2&sid=041837cf6350f913e54a7314837ec4c6)