PDA

View Full Version : DC-3/C-47 literature

booze
25th Jun 2010, 20:03
Hi,

I'm looking for good books to read (technical, historical and fiction) on DC-3/C-47s. Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know here where could i source a POH and/or a Flight Manual?

Regards,

Booze

evansb
25th Jun 2010, 20:34
The Plane That Changed the World, by Douglas J. Ingells. (Amazon.com has some)

The Douglas DC-3, by Len Morgan. Comes with a condensed USAAF C-47 pilot operating handbook, (pilot's notes). Soft cover. (Famous Aircraft Series, Arco Publishing) Long out-of-print. Good luck finding a copy.

Fate Is The Hunter, by Ernest K. Gann, is a classic aviation book with plenty of DC-3/C-47 based stories.

booze
25th Jun 2010, 20:57
Hello,

Thanks so much! Will try to get them!

Have you read Andre Balt: My Lady, the taildragger? I've personally known the author. A great career, in a short, but a real great book!

Regards,

Booze

Jorge46
25th Jun 2010, 21:46
Here's a site that has leads to videos and books etc. Good stories and handling explanations too. Hope it's a helpful place for you to look.
Geo.

The DC-3 Hangar on douglasdc3.com DC3 C47 C-47 (http://www.douglasdc3.com/)

marcoculver
26th Jun 2010, 06:31
Booze, I have some tech lit (SAAF). Give me a shout

booze
26th Jun 2010, 09:28
Hi All,

Thanks for the info! The website is especially useful, i think i'm heading on amazon.com and ebay next...:ok:

Marcoculver: is your tech lit hard copy or digital? If the latter i'm really interested. Pls PM me!

Regards,

Booze

skytrain10
29th Jun 2010, 20:36
I would recommend the Air Britain publication by Jennifer Gradidge "The First Seventy Years" which covers the histroy and development of the DC-3 lineage, including individual histories for all aircraft and many rare photos! Its by far the most comprehensive work on the aircraft type, and its big....a 2 volume publication and not cheap, but well worth it.