PDA

View Full Version : Intimidation?

ron burgandy
25th Jun 2010, 15:19
Can someone please explain what is the purpose of publishing who has gone sick and where in the Friday update. As far as i can see the only reason is to make you think twice about reporting sick and finding your name as good as published in the Friday Pravda.:=

How about "due to our ridiculously tight rostering of minimum rest overnights there was no one able to crew a flight departing xxx on xxx"
But that would involve looking at the latent reasons these things happen, and that's not part of the CX program on rostering:ugh:

turnandburn
26th Jun 2010, 01:09
Any publishing off details that identify a persons medical condition without there consent is in breach of the privacy ordinance I believe.

geh065
26th Jun 2010, 06:29
It isn't intimidation. It let's us know that there are others out there who aren't afraid to call in sick even if it disrupts a flight so that when we ourselves feel I'll, we shouldn't think twice about reporting sick. Afterall, that's the safe thing to do right?

Fly747
26th Jun 2010, 07:44
If you are sick then it is not only the right thing to do but it also happens to be law too not to operate when unfit to do so.

Johnny Drama
26th Jun 2010, 11:42
Where exactly is it published?

AAIGUY
26th Jun 2010, 16:19
DFO update.. intracx.

I agree.. its proof its not just ME calling in sick.. Don't be afraid.

If you're sick down route.. fu*k em'.. you're legally obligated to call in sick.
It's time to get off this minimum manning.

ecosystem
27th Jun 2010, 01:34
Grass not so green eh aaiguy?

Capt Toss Parker
27th Jun 2010, 03:00
Now that "Dick Hall" is the big man on campus he'll be ramping up the intimidation through his lies and deception.

Just because he speaks with a plum in his mouth don't assume he's a gentleman.

Captain Dart
27th Jun 2010, 07:58
For once I agree with Captain Toss!

Ladies and gentlemen, please remember that this individual (along with the outgoing incumbent), was a Star Chamber member, a participant in a cowardly act of pilot against pilot, which was designed to intimidate Cathay Pacific flight crew. Does a leopard change its spots???

FlexibleResponse
2nd Jul 2010, 11:21
I wonder how the local admin and management staff would react if their names were published each Friday to all and sundry for reporting sick?

Subwoofer
2nd Jul 2010, 17:49
Although I don't like that people are being identified (the DFO could just have easily said "a pilot" rather than "the FO"), I do think that if intimidation is his aim, it's backfiring. Just by publishing these delays due to guys calling in sick, it shows that we don't have enough crews (we don't have an FO in MEL??) and we have a bit of bargaining power come pay talk time. Don't be afraid to call in sick!

Loiter1
2nd Jul 2010, 20:39
I am less worried with the new DFO than the new GMA.

I don't think there is any coincidence in the fact that Cathay have moved one of their chief industrial relations headkickers into this role as we approach a perfect storm of negotiations. FTLs, pay rise , housing, on-shoring, bypass pay case etc etc

The guy isn't even a pilot, making it far easier to slash and burn with not even the little bit of remorse an ex-pilot would have. Intimidation will be the name of the game and he will have no qualms in using it. Remember the thinly veiled threats when they asked for 'volunteers' for SLS.

onprofile
3rd Jul 2010, 02:29
Grow a pair guys and stand up for your rights.

Captain Dart
3rd Jul 2010, 02:35
I too have noticed the not-so-subtle change in reporting sickness delays in recent Friday updates. It used to be 'CX XYZ was delayed due to crew sickness', but now it specifies crew member rank.

Innocuous, or maybe the start of what the military call 'psy-ops'?

A Scaler
3rd Jul 2010, 08:43
I guess you have to bother reading the Friday report in the first place...

Bob Hawke
3rd Jul 2010, 10:16
I can't see why it's an issue, when there is an ACTUAL delay to the flight, irrespective of the reason, technical, personnel, weather, whatever! Put it into perspective. Sure the company has issues with some people going sick and some have issues with the company and go sick, but I don't think that was the intent of the Update, no other than to show there was a genuine delay.

arse
7th Jul 2010, 10:51
That SO needs to put the following words into a coherent sentence:

dick weak harden you up

Capt Toss Parker
7th Jul 2010, 12:05
Hmmmm I remember that young lad who went sick at the last minute ..... that's ok I'll just hunt him down in the sim :ugh:

Gnadenburg
7th Jul 2010, 15:55
Yes. Hard culture. CX employees look like their off to a gas chamber when you share the weekend bus with them. A fateful silence. Except for the odd North American crew down the back.

Cactusjack
8th Jul 2010, 04:35
Does anyone know what the pay scale is for the currently advertised Safety Investigator position ?? PM me if you like.

Captain Dart
8th Jul 2010, 09:43
What used to be the 'C-TWO' briefing has grown, through 'briefing creep'*, into the same length as the old one which it replaced.

Ironic, really, when the briefing itself becomes a 'threat'.

* Briefing creep n (colloquial): a phenomenon where concise, relevant briefings become inflated by required additions and stating of the fricking obvious, often instigated by Flight Operations managers and check captains on their way up the greasy pole.

routetuner
8th Jul 2010, 11:12
cap. dart is wrong again.......... it's people like him that actually create the ' briefing creep' because they revert to their old ways, in fact when they fly their annual line check the check captain will re-educate them on how to do a precise, concise C-TWO briefing. I also find it insulting to listen to his opinion on why CC's are only interested in going to " stardom" in this company- far from it- the majority of TC/CC's do it because of the reward they get from training a fellow pilot, passing on knowledge etc. cap. dart should put up his hand for training and pass on some of his experience/expertise to our junior pilots- this is the process, it's how our profession works- don't knock it dart.

HKJunkie
8th Jul 2010, 17:10
This man is a real threat. Be carefull!

Loiter1
10th Jul 2010, 14:49
Since we're talking about intimidation, let's talk about courtesy: a related concept. I just did a flight where the crew makeup suggested the rest would be organized based on everyones timezones. No email before the flight so what would you expect? Low and behold the captain decides on doing the opposite as he is is not sleepy yet. This screws everyone else around and we lob into Hong Kong with 3 guys with their eyes hanging out of their heads and one functioning crew member. Yes it is the prerogative of the commander to take whatever rest he pleases, but please a simple email would have made a huge difference to crew effectiveness, safety and job satisfaction. Even a late email would have allowed a quick catnap before the flight.

AQIS Boigu
10th Jul 2010, 15:42
Loiter1,

was this a training sector or line flight??

AB

Loiter1
10th Jul 2010, 18:09
Line flight.
I'd also like to say that I understand when a guy has the best intentions with the rest plan but for whatever reason just can't get some shuteye. That's life and we adjust to it. What I'm talking about is when there was no rest plan to begin with and a guy just goes ahead and announces it with no consultation with the test of the crew. It doesn't happen that often, but it is happening.

404 Titan
11th Jul 2010, 02:42
Loiter1

There’s nothing saying you couldn’t have initiated the e-mail regarding rest, i.e. Capt blogs, how do you want to organise the rest? I do it all the time if I don’t hear from the capt first even when it would appear that the rest will be obvious because of bases.

Loiter1
11th Jul 2010, 09:50
Point taken Titan.

Ps. Sometimes I hate the spell check function on the iPhone!

Capt Toss Parker
11th Jul 2010, 13:24
CAPITALIZATION is important as well

For instance

"I helped my uncle Jack off a horse"

or ..

"I helped my uncle jack off a horse"

Forget to hit "shift" and you're an instant weirdo :ok: