PDA

View Full Version : Caught in the middle....

testpanel
25th Jun 2010, 12:56
So,
Am I the only one or are more people experiencing major obstacles trying to get a (new/other) job, because on 1 side you got the cadet-schemes (ctc or so) and on the other hand you have retired pilots from MAJORS who want (or still need....) to fly something.
I did my time in aviation, worked my way up, but now I can't afford "to pay for a rating" and I see retired drivers taking my job!
It makes me crazy!
If You did your time in the majors you were be taking care of pretty well; pension, shares, etc etc (not me in the regionals). Now that Your UNION wants you to go to enjoy your well deserved pension why don't you and your wife/man/spouse enjoy it and give us who need it more (30-40's) the job/future we are looking for!
Just wondering....

exeng
25th Jun 2010, 15:31
Firstly let me say that I sympathise with your position.

However please understand that just because you have worked for a legacy carrier it does not mean that you are financially secure. For a start a number of the USA's finest made severe grabs on peoples pensions.

Next consider the situation with divorce, more often later on in life. Most of my colleagues have ended up in a divorce situation and I'm sure you are aware that you are left with your finances in complete 'tatters' - often at a time when you need to pay for further education for the offspring.

Also, regardless of my above statements, we need to remember that generally there is a 'free labour' market. If a Pilot applies for a job and is well qualified then why should he not take that position?

I remember a conversation with a low houred fellow some years back where he suggested people like me should get a 'job in a bar' or something and leave the best flying jobs for him and his like. O.K. I said you think it is OK to deprive somebody else of a job in a bar and that somehow fits into your weird idea of a moral society?

Anyway I have just handed in my notice and probably won't fly again - so fill my boots.

Regards
Exeng