PDA

View Full Version : Strathclyde Police feed delayed Ryanair passengers

ACL1011
24th Jun 2010, 19:56
My afternoon giggle. More great publicity for Ryanair!:ok:

BBC News - Strathclyde Police feed delayed Ryanair passengers (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/glasgow_and_west/10409315.stm)

Police had to calm down air passengers stuck on the runway of Prestwick Airport by buying them water and chocolate.

The 168 people on board the Ryanair flight bound for Girona, Spain, became agitated after a five-hour wait.

Some of the passengers claimed they were told they could not have food or water and others wanted to get off.

Ryanair called Strathclyde Police officers who calmed down the situation. They made no arrests.

The flight took off for Spain at 1949 BST.

A spokesman for Ryanair said the flight had been due to fly to Girona at 1400 BST, but was delayed because of the French air traffic controllers' strike.

He explained: "Because there was no slot over French air space the flight was delayed. Obviously we apologise for this but it was beyond our control."

The spokesman added that the company would investigate passenger reports that they had not been given food or water.

A Strathclyde Police spokeswoman confirmed that they were called at 1800 BST by Ryanair staff who were concerned about the situation on board the plane.

She said officers spoke to passengers and then bought them basic refreshments including chocolate and water.

Avman
24th Jun 2010, 21:56
And yet the sheep continue to fly Ryanair. :E They get what they deserve. :hmm:

ExXB
25th Jun 2010, 18:10
When I read this first, I was astounded that Cryanair was missing the obvious retail opportunity.

They said that opening up the trollys would have been contrary to some law / regulation.

While this might have been the case in the days of 'duty-free' booze in the trolly a UK-Spain flight would have only duty-paid articles, n'est-ce-pas.

I've sipped champers on the ground, why would Cryanair passengers be denied their equivalent?

wowzz
25th Jun 2010, 20:53
I hope that the local police have charged Ryanair for the water and chocolate, and will impound a Ryanair aircraft if payment is not forthcoming.
Of course, payment will be subject to a £1000 credit charge surcharge, unless a Strathclyde Police DeltaCharge Card is used!

cdtaylor_nats
26th Jun 2010, 08:42
Ryanair have already refunded the Police £250 to cover the costs

korrol
26th Jun 2010, 09:23
This Ryanair ground stranding incident and the recent Virgin incident at Bradley "International" Airport raises the interesting issue of what passengers' legal rights are when stuck on a plane that doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

How long is it reasonable to hold passengers on an aircraft? In the US a federal rule now limits so-called "tarmac strandings" to a maximum of three hours during departure delays, and 90 minutes for arrival delays. Airlines unable to meet the new constraints face fines of more than $27,000 per passenger. So it would seem Virgin are already on the wrong side of the law .

But what about the passengers themselves? At what point are they entitled to get up out of their seats and say "enough is enough - I'm getting outta here"? Virgin held its passengers on the plane for 5 hours. How long is a "delay" and at what point does that delay turn into involuntary incarceration?

What are the flight attendants to do if passengers insiston de-planing? They could argue there are no steps and it's unsafe and illegal for passengers to debark - but, if push comes to shove, passengers could always open the doors and deploy the chutes . Passengers surely don't sign away all their basic civil rights just because they've boarded an aircraft.

ExXB
26th Jun 2010, 13:53
Korral,
While I understand what you are saying, but why do you assume that Virgin is at fault here?

Vigin did not 'hold it's passengers on the plane for 5 hours', they were told by an official of the US government that if they let the passengers off they would be arrested. (Not clear to me if it was the passengers, or the crew that would be arrested). Let's remember these guys carry guns (for no obvious reason other than intimidation)

All of this SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED, but lets be realistic when we apportion blame.

Why was the plane diverted to this airport? That's the FAA.
Why was the plane diverted? Inadequate infrastructure at Newark.
Why wasn't the plane refueled and flown to Newark? Inadequate infrastructure
Why weren't the passengers allowed off the airplane. The only Immigration person said that they would be arrested, or the crew would be arrested, or I'm having a migraine would you please go away.

When you are 'in transit' (i.e. not yet accepted into the excited states) you have NO rights. Do you really think passengers should crack the doors, pop the chutes and 'escape'. Let's remember, these guys have guns - and you don't.

HXdave
28th Jun 2010, 14:45
Back to the original Ryanair incident here, and a strange situation. we have all heard reports concerning EU ruling EU261/04 regarding a duty of care if a flight is delayed / cancelled etc because of the recent Ash Cloud. however this same ruling also states that after a specific period of time, a carrier must provide food & drink appropriate to the time of day.

now would this still count as a delay considering the passengers were actually on board? if so, then surely Ryanair was oblighed to provide refreshments as appropriate.

If it does not count as the pax were actually boarded, will we now see flights being boarded by airlines whilst they then sort out their technical issues with the airline to avoid paying compensation / having to provide refreshments?