PDA

View Full Version : Tax time

The_Pharoah
24th Jun 2010, 00:57
Hi all

if you haven't realised it yet, its almost 30 June which means its 'that time' again where we have to prepare income tax returns. Given most of the users on here are active pilots, you're probably wondering what to do.

I highly recommend that you read TR 95/19 Income tax: airline industry employees - allowances, reimbursements and work-related deductions (http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?docid=TXR/TR9519/NAT/ATO/00001) which is the official ATO guide as to what you can and can't claim as a tax deduction. The actual URL is (TR 95/19 - Income tax: airline industry employees - allowances, reimbursements and work-related deductions (As at 5 June 1996) (http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?docid=TXR/TR9519/NAT/ATO/00001)).

Specific things to note:

1. you can claim work-related expenses under $300 without the need for substantiation. However should you claim >$300, you will need to keep receipts, etc to substantiate the FULL amount. This is defined in the Tax Ruling above.
2. Self education expenses - pasted below:

109. A comprehensive explanation of the deductibility of self education expenses is contained in Taxation Ruling TR 92/8. Key points include:
(a) A deduction is allowable for self education expenses if the education is directly relevant to the taxpayer's current income-earning activities. This particularly applies if an airline employee's income-earning activities are based on skill/knowledge and the education enables him or her to maintain or improve that skill/knowledge.

I've bolded (is this even a word??) and underlined the key points above, especially for the up and coming pilots who are thinking of claiming their initial ME/CIR costs. I believe you should be able to claim your renewals, but not your initial.

(b) A deduction is allowable if the education is likely to lead to an increase in the airline employee's income from his or her current income-earning activities.
(c) A deduction is not allowable if the education is designed to enable an airline employee to get employment, to obtain new employment or to open up a new income-earning activity ( FC of T v. Maddalena 71 ATC 4161; 2 ATR 541).
(d) Self education includes courses undertaken at an educational institution (whether leading to a formal qualification or not), attendance at work-related conferences or seminars, self-paced learning and study tours.
(e) Self education expenses include fees, travel expenses (e.g., attending a conference interstate), transport costs, books and equipment.

Happy reading. Perhaps others who have lodged tax returns in the past and have tips can post here. Remember, when in doubt either talk to an accountant or call up the ATO directly. DO NOT claim the deduction and hope for the best unless you're sure as you'll be liable for penalties and interest.

Cheers
Pharoah

notaplanegeek
25th Jun 2010, 22:51
Darn tax time. Anyone know of a good accountant in the Brisbane area? One that has experience dealing with G.A pilots?

The_Pharoah
26th Jun 2010, 00:22
hey mate

you should be able to use any tax agent. They'll end up referring to the TR I posted above anyway. However if its just for GA, your tax return should be pretty simple and you should be able to do it yourself (save you about $90!). I highly recommend using the ETAX software from the ATO.

notaplanegeek
26th Jun 2010, 01:31
Yeah mate I would but my claim for expenses is somewhere around the 15K mark. There are some grey areas such as self education expenses etc and when you can and can't claim which I'm not 100pc on.

404 Titan
26th Jun 2010, 03:52
The_Pharoah
I've bolded (is this even a word??) and underlined the key points above, especially for the up and coming pilots who are thinking of claiming their initial ME/CIR costs. I believe you should be able to claim your renewals, but not your initial.
If you weren’t working as a pilot in the tax year in question I would agree with you regarding the tax deductibility of their initial MECIR. If you were working as a pilot then it is 100% tax deductable.

The_Pharoah
26th Jun 2010, 06:12
well yeah for $15k, i'd definitely hire a tax agent.

remember my comments above are very general and everything depends on your particular situation.

Me posting the above is just to give you a bit of understanding about what the rules are (or aren't) regarding making claims.

Cheers

Pharoah

Curved Approach
26th Jun 2010, 08:17
Don't forget to claim the maximum car mileage (5000km without logbook) for the applicable engine size for transporting your "tools of trade" as no suitable lockable facilities at work!

Curved'

404 Titan
26th Jun 2010, 12:18
Curved Approach

I’m sorry but claiming car mileage because you have to carry your flight bag, head set and possibly an overnight bag won’t cut it. The tax law is quite specific that it is based on bulky tools of the trade etc that can’t be left at work.

Finally if you use the KM method of calculating “Work Related Car Expenses” you are limited to 5000 km per car per year and written evidence may not be required. You do though need to be able to justify how you came up with the dollar figure you have claimed. Lastly if your total deductions for “Work Related Expenses” is greater than $300 then you MUST keep written evidence for all the deduction, not just the ones over $300. In this case you MUST keep a car log book regardless if it is less than 5000 km.

Capt Fathom
26th Jun 2010, 13:20
my claim for expenses is somewhere around the 15K mark

Let's know how you go! :E