PDA

View Full Version : Avast Free AV 5 Updates

John Marsh
23rd Jun 2010, 14:37
Avast 4 updated to v.5.0.545 yesterday. Since then, the program's updater has been unable to connect to any Avast update server.

I've tried setting the firewall to allow all. Also tried different different Avast updater settings, except proxy, which I don't use.

As suggested on the Avast forum, I have uninstalled the program, including running the dedicated uninstall tool in Safe Mode. Installed the current version from download.com...still won't update.

In the hosts file, the listings for Avast are all 170.0.0.1. None of the update servers use that range.

I have just tested (with Traceroute) one of the update servers: 74.55.235.42. OK. Avast 5 failed to connect.

OS: WinXP Home, SP3. No other resident AV. No AdAware. I use Spybot S&D, the free Malwarebytes AntiMalware, free Superantispyware and Spyware Blaster.

Avast 4's updater was fine, whether automatic or forced manually. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

BOAC
23rd Jun 2010, 14:42
Which firewall?

John Marsh
23rd Jun 2010, 15:05
Ashampoo firewall v.1.20.

BOAC
23rd Jun 2010, 16:45
Not familiar with that one but I'm pretty sure that when I upgraded to Av5 I had to manually edit the programme permissions in Zone Alarm to fix a 'will not update' - might be worth a look if you have the option?

John Marsh
23rd Jun 2010, 17:39
Good idea...just had a look; all the Avast-related entries are allowed.

I've also just checked the firewall's log of permissions and denials. Running the Avast updater generates no entry at all.

Saab Dastard
23rd Jun 2010, 17:48
n the hosts file, the listings for Avast are all 170.0.0.1.

I think you will find that is 127.0.0.1.

I also think you will find that none of the hosts file entries actually point to the real avast.com domain - they will be to things like "download-avast.com". These are all spoof domains that SpyBot has pointed to 127.0.0.1 (localhost).

Check that you don't actually have an entry in the hosts file pointing avast.com to 127.0.01 (or anything else, for that matter)!

If you ping download724.avast.com and download649.avast.com, what IP address do they resolve to?

If you are behind a hardware NAT firewall / router (basically any home router), you can pretty safely disable your SW firewall to test the updating.

Are there any relevant entries in your firewall log files, or in Event Viewer?

I use Spybot S&D, the free Malwarebytes AntiMalware, free Superantispyware and Spyware Blaster.

Not all at the same time, I hope!! :eek:

BTW, one of my home PCs is currently running the same version of Avast as you, and I have no problems updating.

SD

John Marsh
23rd Jun 2010, 18:35
SD: Correct re. 127.0.0.1 in hosts file...I had a Senior Moment.:ugh: There aren't any entries for avast.com

Pinging download724.avast.com resolves to 75.126.120.205

download649.avast.com resolves to 74.55.53.82

Turning off the firewall doesn't crack it. With it running, the activity log registers nothing re. the Avast updater - neither permission or a denial of access.

Updater attempts generate nothing in the Event Viewer logs.

Avast is the only resident protection; I use the others as periodic scanners/browser protection.

BOAC
23rd Jun 2010, 18:55
An odd one - what do you have in the Avast Update proxy settings?

John Marsh
23rd Jun 2010, 19:05
I have: 'Direct connection (no proxy)'

'Auto detect (use Internet Explorer settings)'

I've tried both. (Internet Explorer itself can connect.)

There's a drop-down section for specifying a proxy server...I've none to specify!

BOAC
23rd Jun 2010, 20:31
Mine appears to have set itself on 'Auto detect' and works ok. Although you have tried 1) with no success, have you checked the IE settings for connection?

Saab Dastard
23rd Jun 2010, 20:45
John Marsh,

It doesn't look like an IP issue, then.

The only other thing I can think of is to do with registration (yes, even with free version), although even without registering you should get a grace period since you did a fresh install.

What does the registration tab in Avast tell you?

SD

John Marsh
23rd Jun 2010, 20:56
BOAC: Yes, tried using IE settings; no joy. Internet Explorer is able to connect OK.

SD: It says I have 30 days.

Right, I'll try registration tomorrow and report back here. Thanks to both of you for your replies.

BOAC
23rd Jun 2010, 21:12
Fingers crossed! I'm scratching in the mud here, but a few other thoughts:
Have you selected 'Update Programme'?
Are we talking auto or manual update?
I think the registration is now different - no 'licence key' I recall
I think you can still get an update file from Download avast! Antivirus Update (http://www.avast.com/download-update)

Saab Dastard
23rd Jun 2010, 22:00
Do you have anything set in the Redirection section (settings>troubleshooting)?

Ignore Local Addresses should be ticked.

SD

Tarq57
24th Jun 2010, 04:08
Try disabling the Teatimer in Spybot, if active.
There have been a few reports of S&D interfering with Avast 5.

Saab Dastard
24th Jun 2010, 07:41
Try disabling the Teatimer in Spybot, if active.
There have been a few reports of S&D interfering with Avast 5.

Co-existing very happily here!

SD

Tarq57
24th Jun 2010, 09:06
SD, do you have Spybots immunizer actioned?
That's maybe another area worth looking at.

I don't use S&D, so am in no position to say, but the reports exist, even if they are inconclusive. I wonder if S&D could somehow be blocking a range of sites that could be required to update.

I do use SpywareBlaster, all protection enabled, and have no problems.

That firewall might be deserving of more attention, even though you've tried disabling it. What has helped with ZA (another firewall) in the past with most users has been to remove any Avast entries, and cause them to be re-created as Avast asks for access. Is it a rules or applications-based firewall? Is the Windows firewall off?

John Marsh
24th Jun 2010, 13:53
BOAC: Update attempts have been both automatic and manual. Thanks for the downloadable update file link - new definitions are installed OK.

SD: Both parts of the Redirect section are set to ignore local communications.

Tarq57: I don't use the Teatimer part of Spybot S&D. I do run the Immunizer after an update; I understand this modifies the hosts file. The hosts file doesn't seem to be blocking Avast.
I'm not sure if the firewall is rules-based or applications-based...it occasionally asks me to create rules for applications.
The Windows firewall is off.

Registration

I have registered the program via the GUI. This was quick and easy.

Unfortunately, it still fails to connect to an update server. (I tried rebooting.)
:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::{

Thanks to BOAC, Saab Dastard and Tarq57 for your time and patience. I'm open to any further ideas. Could this possibly be an SP3 issue with Avast Free 5?

BOAC
24th Jun 2010, 13:57
Welcome from here, John - we all learn from these things.

I run XP SP3 AND teatimer, with Z Alarm and Avast 5.0.0545. The only thing I can recall, as I said, from over a month ago's upgrade, was having to manually set the firewall to allow Avast Service (I think it was!).

Google seems littered with this problem as you no doubt no:{ One post I saw reckoned Ashampoo was the culprit.

A thought - can you update any other security stuff?

Saab Dastard
24th Jun 2010, 18:24
JM,

I don't think it's SP3, as I have that installed on the PC with Avast 5 and SpyBot - Tarq, my SpyBot runs with all the bells and whistles turned on.

I don't run a SW firewall, though.

Is it possible that your Windows Firewall is running in addition to Ashampoo?

Do you have Data Execution Prevention (DEP) set for more than the default essential Windows operating system programs and services? I would have thought that DEP would then have stopped AVAST completely, but you can never be sure with Windows! :rolleyes:

SD

John Marsh
24th Jun 2010, 20:25
BOAC: All the other security apps can update OK.

If the Ashampoo firewall is the problem here, is it possible that the problem would remain with the firewall turned off? - I've tried that.

SD: The Windows firewall is turned off. DEP has been set for only the essential Windows stuff. I have tried setting DEP to act on everything except the Avast executables...no luck.

With Process Explorer running, I can see the Avast updater starting up.

Saab Dastard
24th Jun 2010, 21:25
John,

I can't really think of anything else right now.

If I was in your position, and had a) a spare hard disk, and b) a burning, stubborn, passionate desire to crack this, I would:

- pull out the current HDD, put in the spare, load a clean install of Windows, add SP3 then load Avast, see if it works, then keep adding apps and testing until it fails (if ever), not forgetting windows patches.

Otherwise I'd give up and go back to a previous release of Avast, or try an alternative.

SD

BOAC
24th Jun 2010, 21:41
Yes - I think I'd also go back to 4.8!

Have you tried selective 'shields off' to see if it is trying hari kiri?:)

Mike-Bracknell
24th Jun 2010, 22:04
What I would do:

- Uninstall aShampoo (search for my rant here about 3rd party firewalls being more trouble than they're worth)
- Reboot
- Uninstall the network card(s) from Device Manager
- Reboot and let them get detected again
- Turn on Windows Firewall instead
- Check the port allocations for Windows Firewall wrt Avast
- Check whether Avast updates
- If not, reset the winsock stack (netsh winsock reset catalog)
- Check again

:ok:

Tarq57
24th Jun 2010, 22:40
I'm inclined to be a bit suspicious of the firewall, too. A google around shows a few posts with users having problems updating - not only Avast - while using Ashampoo. Uninstalling Ashampoo seems to be the resolution.

If it were me, I'd rather keep Avast and use another firewall, if it came down to that.

John Marsh
25th Jun 2010, 19:28
Right-o. I think I'll have to regard this as a long-term project, perhaps for one of my beige relics.

BOAC: Just tried your shields down idea...no joy.

Reverting to Avast v.4.8 would be ideal, but Avast are shortly to cease supporting it (or words to that effect).

My thanks again for all your advice; all noted for the continuing investigation.

Kaspersky Internet Security beckons...