PDA

View Full Version : Dissappearing Threads

Finger Poking
23rd Jun 2010, 10:31
I was just in the process of replying to a Thread started regarding the Public Sector Pay Freeze and when I pressed POST, I got an Invalid thread message.

Who is policing threads on here and thinks they have the right to Delete threads because they don't think they are appropriate. Christ, are we living in North Korea or China?

I was recently banned for sharing my opinion on Beagle..... I wish the anon Pleb who banned me would have the gall to get in touch and justify there right to play god.

This forum is becoming more subject to censorship than the BP PR Dept.

johnfairr
23rd Jun 2010, 10:56
Every one has an opinion on Beagle, some good, some not so good. But it is not our train set, and if the Fat Controller (sorry Wholi or whoever, as PN points out below) puts the signals to STOP, then we ain't going anywhere!

PS, I could tell you my opinion of Beagle, but then I'd have to kill you! :eek:

Pontius Navigator
23rd Jun 2010, 11:16
FP, although JF suggests it might have been whoolighan, remember the originator can also delete his post.

I suspect that is more likely as the Mods tend to lock the thread or move it rather than just delete it.

Sideshow Bob
23rd Jun 2010, 11:16
Perhaps it went as part of some 25% cost reduction scheme :ok:

OmegaV6
23rd Jun 2010, 11:28
Every single member of the forum is, and should be a moderator .... of their own posts. There are rules, both written - easy to read, and unwritten ... called common decency .. or in the old days .. courtesy.

If everyone obeyed those rules there would be no need for moderators or locked/deleted posts at all.

The fact that you have been banned once implies you don't think those rules apply to you... your opening post reinforces that view.

If you don't like, or cannot abide by the rules .. you have a simple solution ........ :)

Al R
23rd Jun 2010, 11:36
I had a thread removed simply because it wasn't appropriate - it wasn't rude or anything, simply inappropriate. A quick e-mail explaining what had happened would have been polite and taken just a few seconds.

We live in an age where courtesy seems to be dead, where we are subjected to faceless idiocy and where system induced control seems to be rife - so please, a little empathy and consideration from the board staff here could be extended without the usual 'If you don't like it, you can always p#ss off' silliness.

After all, if the Staff sets a bad tone with rudeness, what can they expect when members are also rude?

Tankertrashnav
23rd Jun 2010, 11:41
I accidentally deleted one of my own threads recently - had just been reading through it and when I closed it it disappeared. I can only assume I hit the "delete thread" button by mistake. Any chance of a "Do you really want to delete this thread" message to help people like me with finger trouble?

OmegaV6
23rd Jun 2010, 11:46
From the front page :

Threads: 336,933, Posts: 5,137,486

Every one of those threads/posts has had to be "moderated" at some time .. methinks the "staff" have better things to do than to have to explain the rules to everyone everytime they make a decision.

Instead of berating the "staff" why not support them in their unpaid work by not actually giving them any work to do ?? ie. play nicely .. :)

Al R
23rd Jun 2010, 11:51
Omega,

I also manage 2 very busy messageboards, with a staff of 5 'unpaid' helpers. Each decision to remove a post is always accompanied by a PM explaing the decision. Its a culture thing.. the desire to be seen as kindly patriarch.. but in reality, lets forget the rank BS for one moment - there is nothing at all which would prevent a Mod simply sending out a 3 line justification PM. It could even be a templated PM, explaining why, and the engaging with members could produce less moderating work, missunderstanding and confusion later on.

After all, without members, the community is nothing. I do appreciate the work of Board staff, I know that for much of the time, it is a thankless task.

Senior Pilot
23rd Jun 2010, 11:55
remember the originator can also delete his post

Which then deletes the thread. Jumping Jack did just that.

What was the point again :hmm:

angels
23rd Jun 2010, 12:01
Might as well whinge about disappearing standards of spelling as well. :}

Troll.

Wholigan
23rd Jun 2010, 12:34
As Senior Pilot says, the thread originator deleted the thread, so get off your inappropriate and falsely based high horse and stop making so many assumptions.

Just to really pee you off, this thread is also now closed!

Wholigan
23rd Jun 2010, 12:40
A quick e-mail explaining what had happened would have been polite and taken just a few seconds.

With 300,000 members and over 5 million posts and moderating in our spare time, it really doesn't bear thinking about the workload of justifying each and every post deletion or thread closure by e-mail.