PDA

View Full Version : UK Military aircraft in near Miss

vecvechookattack
22nd Jun 2010, 20:33
UK military aircraft involved in 832 near misses in five years | UK news | The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jun/22/british-military-aircraft-near-misses?)

Have you ever had a near miss?

Green Flash
22nd Jun 2010, 20:40
I'll say! B!tch wanted us to get married and everything. Luckily, I told her I was flying Andy McNab on his next mission and didn't go back. Close thing, though. Be warned, you young uns' .....

L J R
22nd Jun 2010, 20:44
Shouldn't it be called a 'Near HIT' - 'nearly' missing someone implies that you 'almost' missed......

chiglet
22nd Jun 2010, 21:14
Among the near misses were 14 incidents a month on average over the five-year period involving military (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/military) Hawks, Tomahawks, and Cherokee helicopters encroaching on the airspace of passenger jets

So, how long have the "Military" [all branches,and Nations] been flying these Tomahawk and Cherokee Helicopters, then? I think we should be told...
Also, how many near misses were there involving Civvie Hawks?
Seriously,
As a [just] retired Civvie ATC [ex mil] When you have 1.2 million airways movements alone in the UK, the unknown number of Light a/c, Microlights, Balloons plus all the UK Mil [and Visitors] aviating around. I think that is a pretty good record. It could be better, but that needs thought and education on all sides

Archimedes
22nd Jun 2010, 21:52
If anyone wants to make sense of the Guardian piece, the figures are from a document in the Commons Library:

Go here (http://deposits.parliament.uk/) , find DEP2010-1324 and download the word document. There's even a near miss in 2004 between a C172 and a B-25 [sic] - which no doubt the Guardian team will put down to the USAF...

orca
23rd Jun 2010, 08:34
If you established a set of criteria which gave you a 'serious risk of collision' and then ran the experiment 67 times, noting that said collision never happened...would you change the criteria? To something slightly less sensational such as 'nearer miss'...

I have noted a risk of collision on countless occasions, I've taken them all relatively seriously.

Daysleeper
23rd Jun 2010, 09:53
That's awful.... journalism that is. For a start it is barely readable and not helped by a headline that's is not English.

Secondly the raw data is for ALL airprox reports regardless of categorisation and they have done a really bad job of describing their analysis. Looking at the data I see 65 CAT A airprox and only 32 of them involved one or more military aircraft. (That is if you include 2 Air Cadet Vigilant gliders and one "bulldog" which could have been civil.) so call it 31 and 1 suspect.

By including all the CAT C - (no risk of collision existed) they have bulked out their numbers to make it appear more spectacular, just shody work there.

"14 incidents a month involving military aircraft" would be 840 and yet there are only 832 (they claim) reports including all the civil and no risk ones :ugh:

The actual rate of mil cat A's would be 0.53 per month. Still high but somewhat less than they are suggesting.

Finally, by relying on a single source of data they have missed out on all the ACTUAL collisions which occurred in the UK in the same period. :hmm:

Polly Curtis and Dan Milmo, remain behind and write 500 lines "I must not try to sensationalise data that I don't understand" :=

Airprox categorisation for the uninformed.

A Risk of collision An actual risk of collision existed
B Safety not assured The safety of the aircraft was compromised
C No risk of collision No risk of collision existed
D Risk not determined Insufficient information was available to determine the risk involved, or inconclusive or conflicting evidence precluded such determination

Sideshow Bob
23rd Jun 2010, 11:27
How did this end up in the commons library? That would be Angus Robertson again. See Here (http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2010-06-17a.2619.h&s=section%3Awrans+speaker%3A11189#g2619.q0). Known to his mates as silent G.

Fanda_2007
23rd Jun 2010, 12:44
There is or was a B25 flying in UK

Alan

Lonewolf_50
23rd Jun 2010, 12:54
Still trying to find his target at Utah Beach, is he? :confused:

PPRuNeUser0211
23rd Jun 2010, 13:29
"there were no serious collisions during the five years" - what, aside from the one where two good mates of mine were killed? And the one involving the Tutor and civvy glider... and any others that don't immediately spring to mind? They should go into fiction writing...

<edit to add> I notice the Guardian is one of the few newspaper websites that doesn't have a comments section at the bottom of it's stories... Anyone have an email address for the editor?

<further edit to add> [email protected] is the Reader's editor email address. I do, however, note that the post is currently empty.....

FATTER GATOR
23rd Jun 2010, 18:02
Had a near miss on Andros range once. Torp forgot it was an EVT:E. Sub driver not happy.

The other near miss involved getting too drunk to sh4g the hippocrocadillapig who was very friendly to me at Isla Morada.

Reminiscing again.......

Geehovah
23rd Jun 2010, 19:30
The rear view mirror on the canopy of the F4 was quite small. I saw it full of F4 on one occasion chasing down a 4 ship of Buccs in LFA 7. Too close for comfort but too quick for any action. Still here thank goodness.

The best effort on some exercise planners part was to put 10 Harriers through 4 F4s on Cap, 2 ECM Canberras 1000 feet above and hit the CAP with 4 German F4s as Counter Air. We went home ashen faced and that was in the heady days of Cold War Germany.

wiccan
23rd Jun 2010, 23:17
Airpolice...
Was there not a proper newspaper called the "Guardian" once?
Yes there was. It was called "The Manchester Guardian"...
Unfortunately since then, standards have slipped....since it moved to the great metrolops,,,,