PDA

View Full Version : What Attracts Us To Aircraft?

donnlass
22nd Jun 2010, 18:39
What is it about planes that makes us spend hours watching them, taking pictures and noting their numbers?

And no Im not copying the other post lol but have wanted to ask this for ages so here goes.

Why do we flock to viewing parks (if we're lucky to have one) or get a thrill watching a 747 soar overhead while on the train to Knutsford?

Avman
22nd Jun 2010, 21:58
Because of my dad's job, as a youngster, I did quite a bit of flying mainly on DC-6s and DC-7s. I found airliners and airports fascinating. In those days the major airports had excellent spectator facilities and my dad and I would often go spend a day at the airport. No logging registrations or anything like that. We would simply watch all the action, not only on the runway(s) but on the ramps too (and at close hand). There was nothing more exhilarating than watching piston airliners start up and then hearing the roar of their engines on take off. Aye, them were the days lad - and I miss them :{

donnlass
23rd Jun 2010, 19:55
Would have loved to have seen the ramp action up close tho I wasnt interested as a kid really.

Tho I did notice that after the attempted PLO attack on an El Al aircraft at the old Nairobi Wilson airport, when they built the new one it was impossible to get close to aircraft.

But its great when waiting to go to gate at the airport to watch pilots going through their checks.

Thats if the airport management wouldnt put shops in the way and take way the window views.

good spark
23rd Jun 2010, 20:50
i started working on these things in the seventies because dad did the same,,,,,,, yep thats where it all went wrong listening to other people instead of your head! i just wanted to be a hippie, but later on after many years flying all over the world as a mech on b707`s and dc8`s i can safely say, yeeeees its fanfucgkin tastic!!!! if anyone can get a start with any sort of an airline then do it, now dammit, do not wait this industry is in rapid decline - the fuel price and the demise of the 40 ton market is going to shaft the african market big time, sorry the subject was what attracted you to this industry? easy, aeroplanes

gs