PDA

View Full Version : What should I do

bobsawyer
22nd Jun 2010, 17:59
I am 17 years old and doing maths, physics and geography at A-level in the U.K. I think that, unfortunately, I may be colourblind but I am not sure yet, and will be getting a proper test done in the summer holidays.

I was hoping to become an airline pilot or an air traffic controller and have thought about this for a long time and really want to be one or the other even though i know they are two totally different jobs. I did my work experience at RAF Warton in the control tower, and had trips round Liverpool and Manchester air traffic control, and all three were very interesting. However, obviously if i am colourblind I won't be able to full-fill my dream in doing any of these jobs :( .

I have also read that if you don't pass the Ishihara plates test at the class 1 medical, then they also do another lantern test or something, what does this involve?

So I was wondering if I am colourblind what other jobs in aviation are there which could appeal to me?
AND if i am not colourblind do you think I should apply on a pilot's scheme or at NATS to become an air traffic controller, or neither and focus on a different career, due to the difficulty of getting into an airline at the moment?

Hope someone will be able to provide some answers for me
Thanks, Rob :)

andrew152
23rd Jun 2010, 08:29
should you fail any of the further testing after the plates e.g. lantern test then the CAA will offer you a fairly new test called the CAD test at an additional cost(search the medical area of this forum also google and you will get alot more information).

I have a mild colour deficiency which previously prevented me from obtaining a class 1 medical however when the CAD test was introduced last year I immediately sat the test and thankfully passed it, now in possession of an unrestricted class 1 medical.

The CAD test basically measures the degree and severity of your deficency so there is still a chance you could become a pilot. I'd recommend before commencing training that you sit this test.

Any further info then PM me.

Andrew

SpreadEagle
23rd Jun 2010, 21:25
First off, I'm not colour blind and so not an expert. However I have heard it mentioned on more than one occasion that in the future, airlines may accept colour blind pilots in a multi-crew environment, but on the condition that the other pilot did not have this issue. Now time frame, no idea (could be 20 years away) but improvements in avionics are making colour blindness less of an issue. With an abundance of low-hour pilots right now, there isn't really any drive to push this through. I've scoured the internet for you, but can't find any reference to this. Maybe a uber-ppruner may be able to back this up or dismiss it - this is a rumour forum after all.
However I spoke with a chap who is stratospherically high up in a major airline, he brought this topic up in light conversation, and he said airlines would probably secretly discriminate if this was the case, as it would make scheduling a pain in the back-side for them.
So I offer you a glimmer, but its an old spoon at the end of an ocean-spanning tunnel.
However you are 17, so you get the same answer as every other 17 year old. Forget about it for now, finish college, go to uni, get another profession to fall back on first. Then in 4 years if things look like changing and there are any jobs, even for those with full colour vision, then look back about it. At the moment its a dream. Leave it there and dream away because dreaming costs nothing. Its when you start spending, the nightmare begins. :ok:

bobsawyer
26th Jun 2010, 14:01
haha, okay thank you both of your for your information and will look into it a little bit more :)

redsnail
26th Jun 2010, 19:47
In Australia, if you have a certain colour blindness (I cannot remember which one, I think red-green) then you can hold an ATPL but it's only valid for the Australian FIR. (ie you can't take it overseas).