PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar Engineering

Degrees
22nd Jun 2010, 08:26
Does anyone have contact details for Jetstar Engineering recruitment? They don't seem to advertise engineering positions or even acknowledge that they exist. Also, if anyone's heard of any avionics apprenticeships around I'd greatly appreciate any info.

Jethro Gibbs
22nd Jun 2010, 09:29
look at the bottom left corner @ Careers mind you there aint much on offer.:ok:
Cheap flights - Jetstar Airways (http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/index.aspx)

Degrees
29th Jun 2010, 02:47
They don't advetise apprenticeships. The Jetstar website just has Pilots, F/A's, management positions, etc.

rmm
29th Jun 2010, 05:46
I don't think they have an apprenticeship program. Much like Virgin, they leech staff from Qantas.

chockchucker
29th Jun 2010, 06:41
Much like Virgin, they leech staff from Qantas.
Today 12:47

Actually, due to the lousy pay and conditions at Jetstar, I don't think too many guys from QF are all that keen to join the ranks (with the possible exception of BNE QF heavy guys looking to return to OOL).

Post the Ansett wash-up, they get mainly GA guys or the occaisonal ex-QF apprentice. JHAS may turn out to be a ripe picking ground for Jetstar in the lastest recruiting drive however. I hear the conditions there are even worse.

aintsaying
30th Jun 2010, 16:55
chockchucker,
Can you explain what the lousy pay is for a LAME/AME in jetstar?
shift patterns, etc?

thanks.

chockchucker
1st Jul 2010, 03:50
Aintsaying,

only too happy to do so.

If you place two line maintenance guys side by side. One JQ guy, and one QF guy. Both work four on four off. The QF guy gets 12 z-days (RDO's per year) the JQ guy gets zero! The QF guy gets paid for six public holidays and gets six days in-lieu for the remaining public holidays per year (i.e. another six days off). The JQ guy gets zilch. The QF guy gets paid 200% for all overtime worked. Not so the JQ guy (time and a half I believe, happy to be corrected) The QF guy gets five weeks per year annual leave. The JQ guy has only just negotiated close to four.

However, the big one is this. With five years service at either company. The QF guy can expect to be getting paid an average of $35,000 per year more than his JQ conterpart. And that's before either guy works any overtime. Nevermind the QF guys who have been there for a longer period.

Hence, I don't believe you'll see a great flood of highly experienced/qualified guys knocking the entry gate over at JQ anytime soon. All dues to many of the guys already there mind you. There are some very switched on cookies there ex-Ansett and what have you. However, I believe if you were to ask them quietly, given the choice, I think they'd like the chance to come and work for big brother.

Perhaps at the next JQ EBA, and in lieu of the great job done for the blokes at VB, the JQ guys might want to consider embracing the collective bargaining approach and invite the ALAEA to represent their collective interests? I really don't see what they would have to lose.

The Original Jetpipe
1st Jul 2010, 05:26
To pass comment the recruitment process for J* is F&***(((**&^!!! I have applied for numerous positions with them and NEVER got passed the "your application has been recieved" stage!! And before anyone shouts.......yes I have all the correct qualifications!

People do get recuited but..................I believe it is a "mates backdoor" route, and unless you have someone threy who will give you a leg up, then you have NO chance of getting in!!!

Still heard nothing from there last advert, which closed on the 12 June.

TOJP.

chockchucker
1st Jul 2010, 06:12
Unfortunately, that's pretty much par for the course everywhere these days. Don't give up though.