PDA

View Full Version : Is there any real advantage to being Bilingual?

adam02
22nd Jun 2010, 00:39
If you could learn another language to that would be advantageous in aviation what would it be?

What would be the most advantageous language to know to work within Europe?

I've got time.:ok:

Whirlygig
22nd Jun 2010, 00:46
Spanish.

Cheers

Whirls

ReverseFlight
22nd Jun 2010, 02:38
English is of course the pre-requisite.

If you could learn another language to that would be advantageous in aviation what would it be?

The language of the country you're working in. If that happens to be English, then the second most popular (eg USA = Spanish).

What would be the most advantageous language to know to work within Europe?

If all the European languages were evenly split, I'd go for French - comprenez-vous ? At least you'll be able to read an original Airbus/Eurocopter manual ! :ok:

A320rider
22nd Jun 2010, 03:04
arab!

the futur is there...

hollingworthp
22nd Jun 2010, 05:23
German - in my sector (bizjets) there are prob more jobs right now requiring fluent german than any other language.

Denti
22nd Jun 2010, 07:52
If you ask about a second language for europe you have to define which europe you mean. In any case the biggest native speaker language group in the EU-europe is german with 93 million native speakers, second is english with around 61 million native speakers followed by french (59) and italian (58) with spanish being a distant 5th if you include catalan with 39 native speakers.

If you count in the other parts of europe, especially native russian speakers, you would find that the biggest native speaker language group in europe is russian.

Well, that doesn't really help at all since russia is pretty much a closed market for pilots, however french, german or italian should be good choices, if you want to work worldwide including south america spanish is the natural choice, arab could be interesting if you want to work in the middle east.

BTW, sorry for my poor english, it is just a secondary or tertiary language for me...

redsnail
22nd Jun 2010, 19:32
French is useful for Africa as well as France (obviously).

ReverseFlight
23rd Jun 2010, 07:20
I would add that in certain parts of the world, being bilingual is just not enough - you should ideally be multi-lingual.

This goes for Central/Eastern Europe, SE Asia, Middle East and parts of Africa.

A320rider
25th Jun 2010, 03:47
more important to have the nationality of the country!

johnnyDB
25th Jun 2010, 13:21
most europeans speaks pretty good english anyway, except for the french, spanish, portugees and italians. so if you want to be able to find your way through europe, know english and one of the latin languages.

Dane-Ger
25th Jun 2010, 15:21
more important to have the nationality of the country!
Not strictly true, I have a couple of part time flying jobs in a country where I am a non-national, but you are right, in that, speaking the native language of the country you live in, is a must.

regards D-G