PDA

View Full Version : Do you read Flight Safety Mag?

Phot
21st Jun 2010, 22:51
Hi All,

I was flicking through CASA's flight safety mag last night and I was wondering what others think of the mag.... Do you read it and why?

Phot

chimbu warrior
22nd Jun 2010, 01:59
Only if I can't get my hands on a copy of New Idea. :bored:

Old Akro
22nd Jun 2010, 03:25
Here's an idea. Can Flight Safety magazine and drop the Avgas levy increase. The only useful articles are the ones recycled from the old ASD.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
22nd Jun 2010, 03:34
Just reprint the ole' ASD.....:}.

The accidents remain the same, the causes are largely the same....
(Sometimes 'we' don't seem to learn much......)

The descriptions, factual details, and analyses are MUCH better - IMHO....

'Learning Material' for all......with REAL PHOTOS..!! :D:D

And, 'nice' little cartoon slogans...e.g.
The goldfish in the bowl - he doesn't mind going around again - neither should you.:p

I'm with Chimbu .....and Phot....in that its now only a 'flick thru'.....:yuk:

ForkTailedDrKiller
22nd Jun 2010, 06:32
I usually flick through it looking for something interesting to read.

Then bin it cause there rarely ever is!

Dr :8

gassed budgie
22nd Jun 2010, 07:07
....wrapping fish and lining the bottoms of bird cages here.

Desert Flower
22nd Jun 2010, 07:09
Bring back the old crash comics - they were a good read!

DF.

By George
22nd Jun 2010, 07:55
This has been done to death before, but for what it's worth, I have every single one of the old 'Digest' and still like to flick through them. The new one gets delivered to my In-Laws in Aus (while I'm in exile up here). I tell them to chuck it out. Never read it and long live Mac Job, great succes story the old version. Funny in a way, symbolic of the whole Industry these days.

Aerohooligan
22nd Jun 2010, 08:06
I never read flight safety. Why? It's not that I dislike it, I actually find it very enjoyable. The close calls articles and ATSB accident report excerpts are valuable reading and it's handy to have reminders from Airservices about upcoming changes or adjustments to the rules...

No, the only reason I (almost) never read FSM is because in the over 7 YEARS I have had an ARN, I have NOT ONCE received a copy of the blessed thing, despite udating my address 8 TIMES IN THAT PERIOD! :mad: I guess when CASA addresses NPRMs and such to 'Aviation Stakeholders', they don't mean me, a lowly top end charter pilot. :ugh:

Tankengine
22nd Jun 2010, 08:52
And we get two because my Wife had a student licence over TEN years ago!:confused:

Wallsofchina
22nd Jun 2010, 08:55
By George, you've got it!

How sad the couldn't care less attitude is today, and it must be costing the odd life.

Even the old Aviation Safety Digest "confessions" were useful, and I certainly modified my behaviour time and time again.

Fly-by-Desire
22nd Jun 2010, 10:57
Aerohooligan,

Log on to the CASA portal, there is an option to select if you want the mag sent to you.

Tidbinbilla
22nd Jun 2010, 11:20
I thought FSA was an advertorial. Chock full of ads!

It has safety stories?

Bring back the ASD :ok:

I've cancelled my subscription...

Counter-rotation
23rd Jun 2010, 00:04
Yeah, Tidbinbilla is spot on - there's all that advertising, which = $$$$

It's also one of the reasons I HATE the bloody thing. Signal to noise about 0.0000000000000000000001

Fly-by-desire, thank you for the tip re: unsubscribing.

CR.

Sonny Hammond
23rd Jun 2010, 06:14
With some of the accidents we've witnessed recently, it is a little hard to believe the attitude you blokes are displaying here!

Read the articles, you might learn something.

Old Akro
23rd Jun 2010, 06:19
I'll bite. Name your top article Sonny & I'll look it up and read it. I'll also tell you if its based on old ASD articles or if someone like the US AOPA deals with the same subject but in more depth.

frigatebird
23rd Jun 2010, 07:10
Was looking at the North American forum numbers, Sonny, and thinking you may have to move from B******,Idaho, to the Southern States. N.A all of 1,450 threads and 8,200 posts as against the private SouthWest Airlines Pilots with 10,950 threads and 186,896, then saw the reason given by one of your number for the low turnout -

"Sad to say, that sooner or later anything that has to do with the United States ends up in a bashing fest against the US, therefore, the thread ends up in Jet Blast.

So most posters just start threads about the US in Jet Blast, as to save the moderators time and effort."

Now I know why the counts in Jetblast are so high.. :)

ForkTailedDrKiller
23rd Jun 2010, 07:55
The editor of the Flight Safety magazine is not a pilot!

Kinda says it all, doesn't it.

Dr :8

Wallsofchina
23rd Jun 2010, 08:52
Gee Sonny, and we were exploring outer Space for signs of intelligence.

bushy
23rd Jun 2010, 13:00
There are some facts in it, but after reading about a senior pilot who stuffed up a flight badly and then found fault with the aeroplane and was praised for his efforts, I have little respect foor the articles in it.

Airey Belvoir
23rd Jun 2010, 15:59
Like other posters my copy arrives intermittently - if at all - despite hammering the desk.

If they can't get distribution correct then what else is Air Services screwing up?

Seabreeze
13th Sep 2010, 09:10
clinton mc

I also think (c);

can we take the question apart?

assuming the aircraft flies on the same height relative to sea level (i.e the same geopotential surface) the altimeter will indicate a higher altitude (compared to before) because the pressure reduction at all heights is the same (assuming the same lapse rate holds).
We can call this "over-reading" I suppose although I always think of "over-reading" as being an instrumental error.

The actual terrain clearance doesn't change if we fly on the same geopotential surface. But it might appear that there is greater clearance between aeroplane and terrain because the altimeter reads higher
(apparent terrain clearance is increased)

Yup 'tis (c) as far as I can make out

Jabawocky
13th Sep 2010, 12:30
Clinton

You are on the money.....the current FS mag is........well a bit like new idea....its not the old womens weekly is it?

J:E

PA39
13th Sep 2010, 21:38
I remember questioning one Ms Mary O'B as to why she made the questions so ambiguous on the very first single IFR exam......to which she quickly replied......."I set them to fail not to pass", which resulted in a 95% failure rate. :ouch:

Many questions are dependent on your interpretation of the English language.

Old Akro
14th Sep 2010, 00:40
The real issue is that under the user-pays system why we have to put up with our money being spent in such a laughable manner?

b_sta
14th Sep 2010, 01:06
Yep, agree that the answer should be 'C'. It's the word 'apparent' that negates 'D' - apparent terrain clearance (ie. indicated altitude) will be increased if you maintain the same actual altitude whilst flying into a low; alternatively, if you fly into a low and maintain the same indicated altitude, you'll obviously be in a descent as the aircraft attempts to 'find' the same pressure height as before.

Phot
14th Sep 2010, 02:13
What do you expect guys when the magazine is edited by someone who has not even had a flying lesson.

Tee Emm
14th Sep 2010, 14:25
Suggestion to make FSA more popular:
Cut back a lot on advertisements.
Cut back on wasted pages of colourful graphics. Children may love the pretty pictures but the mag is not for children
Get hold of overseas accident reports - there are many sources including NTSB, the British and Canadian equivalent. With careful editing to suit space requirements of FSA, publish those accident reports especially where loss of control crash - burn -die is involved. This includes airliners as well as GA types. Fortunately, in Australia major accidents are rare so FSA needs to look overseas for the serious accidents.

There is no shame in reproducing some of the UK incident/accident reports and in fact in the good old days of Mac Job's Aviation Safety Digest - and before his time the earlier DCA Accident digests, those magazines frequently used overseas accidents in their pages simply because there were so few in Australia.

It can be seen in earlier Pprune pages there has been more or less continuous negative attitudes to the present editorial policy that plagues FSA readers. To have flying schools spruiking their wares in almost every page of FSA plus so much station self promotion, means more copies of FSA reach the waste paper basket than ever happened to the 1950-1970 era of the old "Digest" crash comic.

In those days the term "Crash Comic" was an affectionate term and most pilots eagerly awaited their free copy in the post box. Many oldies - and I include myself - jealously hoarded each copy. I still drag mine out and enjoy a good read. The crashes haven't changed much and there are always the same causes and lessons to be learned. But the way the stories were presented then are quite different to now in FSA. Now it is just a cursory glance through FSA which takes maybe five minutes -rather like reading the local suburban newspaper full of ads and shoved free into your letter box.

No doubt the editorial staff of FSA are greatly constrained by their bean-counters. Cost recovery has a lot to answer for. But in my book, the money spent by the tax payer for those annual travelling Flight Safety Forums around Australia, would be better spent on a completely revamped Flight Safety Australia magazine minus those bloody flying school ads. Right now you can't call FSA a crash comic anymore. More like an Ikea advertising magazine

PyroTek
14th Sep 2010, 16:27
No doubt the editorial staff of FSA are greatly constrained by their bean-counters.

Then why is it that we get plastic cards explaining the obvious dangers of Alcohol and Drugs? They must be fairly expensive to make. :ugh:
If you haven't seen, I'll upload some images of them...

Clearedtoreenter
15th Sep 2010, 02:06
It just tries to be too many things to too many people accross the industry. Its not just aimed at pilots and ends up without any particular focus - and the inevitable journo lowest common denominator prevails.

Do we really pay for it through an Avgas levy? They really need to work out what they are trying to achieve with it and think of better ways to do that because its obviously costing a motza and not doing very much.

Still judging by how much they spent on the Class D roll-out and the value that provided for the industry, they have plenty of motza's and value for the safety $ is not too high in their consciousness.

I wonder how much of a hole it does actually make in the CASA Budget - probably not a very big one so don't worry.;)

privateer01
15th Sep 2010, 07:41
It just tries to be too many things to too many people accross the industry. Its not just aimed at pilots and ends up without any particular focus - and the inevitable journo lowest common denominator prevails.

That is an excellent point you make Sir!

I read it in the smallest room of the house.....

Fills in the time while there.