PDA

View Full Version : Firefox doing its own thing...

Cameronian
20th Jun 2010, 10:08
I was trying to find out where to be able to watch yesterday's Scotland v England cricket match and so spent about twenty minutes ferreting around on Firefox. When I finally decided to give up as a glass of fino was calling, I closed the only Firefox window which I had opened to find another one lurking behind it, displaying the homepage of an online betting shop with all sorts of offers to seduce me (some chance!).

I don't like unexpected things happening behind my back. How do I stop parasitic links on pages I visit opening up new Firefox windows in this way. please?

Saab Dastard
20th Jun 2010, 10:33
Install AdBlock Plus and NoScript.

SD

Cameronian
20th Jun 2010, 11:00
Thank you, SD. I do have Adblock Plus running. About a year ago, on my now extinct W98 machine, I tried NoScript and it appeared to cause some disaster the details of which escape me now. Was that unusual? Perhaps it was the W98's limitations.

A bit of research in the meantime suggests that NoScript retains problematic aspects, especially in the context of its relationship with other useful software - favouring some and prejudicing others - which brings me back to my unhappiness about things happening behind my back..... Is there no other way to stop my use of Firefox being hijacked?

rgbrock1
23rd Jun 2010, 17:23
Adblock Plus should have prevented the lurking window from appearing.
I run FF and Adblock Plus and never have a window open on me unless I wanted
it to.

Check you Adblock Plus subscription and try another one.