PDA

View Full Version : Where are they now (not people)

ArthurR
20th Jun 2010, 09:56
After just read the thread by DC10RealMan "The Briefing"
It got me thinking about my time at Scampton on 617sqn, I remember looking round the aircrew crew room, and being shown a small but interesting museum (memorabilia) display, among the things that I can remember, are, a piece of the Turpitz armour, and a full (Red) Indian head dress.
Does this still exsist, and where is it, has it stayed with the Squadron, or been moved to somewhere else.

stiknruda
20th Jun 2010, 10:45
I was Oic the move of the museum to HQ Strike in late 81. We loaded it all into 2 4tonners and headed down the A1 in the snow.

No idea where it went from there!

sisemen
20th Jun 2010, 10:53
The Tirpitz bulkhead was still around when this was sent:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c92/allan907/Tirpitzbulkhead.jpg

stiknruda
20th Jun 2010, 18:43
Stringy Vest (P,,, W,,,) lent me his cold wx flying jacket, else I would have contracted pleurisy - it was so very cold! The MT driver had pukka cold wx gear, I was in No 2's - and there was no heater in the cab!

It was very close to Xmas driver was worried about getting back because of wx.

I remember v little, but having spent my upper school years at one of those character building Scottish outward-bounds, I knew it was 'kin cold!

Old-Duffer
20th Jun 2010, 18:59
Isn't it the bit of the Tirpitz that 9 Squadron and 617 sqn keep stealing from each other?

Under the SDR, both squadrons are to be based on the same station so that they can steal, return and steal again from each other so that no expense is incurred.

ArthurR
20th Jun 2010, 19:10
If I remember rightly, 9 sqn were based at Waddington in the 70's, whilst we where at Scampton.

Pontius Navigator
20th Jun 2010, 19:20
617 now has a replica of the Tirpitz bulkhead in the soft at Lossiemouth. It is possible IX also has a copy as the original was moved to the RAF Museum as the fun police eventually decided that it was too valuable an historical artefact to be entrusted to hooligans.

Pontius Navigator
20th Jun 2010, 19:23
44 years ago I was entrusted with the OC's staff car and instructed to collect the portraits of Garland and Grey the two 12(B) Sqn VCs. AOC 1 Gp tried to stop the OC claiming the portraits on the ground that the sqn had no secure storage. In fact the real reason was the white (clean) gaps that appeared on the walls of Bawtry Hall.

Does 12 sqn still have the portaits?