PDA

View Full Version : ANAC Conversion

Massachello
20th Jun 2010, 03:52
Hi Folks!

I'm planning on converting my FAA ratings to ANAC in December. I understand I need to take a written exam on the regulations along with a Checkride. I purchased Regulamentos de Trafego Aéreo IFR, Regulamentos de Trafego Aéreo VFR, Regulamentos de Trafego Aéreo 1500 Questões, all written by Plínio Jr. I was in Brasil last week and visited the Aeroclube do Parana and also purchased some charts in order to star familiarizing my self.

What else would you recommend for me to prepare my self. Is there a online or video course offered? I'm attempting to do the convertion in December but knowing our government everyone will be on vacation for 30 + days hehe.

I appreciate any information

Obrigado,
Massachello

varigflier
21st Jun 2010, 08:53
For the test, all you need is the Regulamento de Trafego Aereo IFR. I also used this book when I took the test. It's not hard at all but it is a little different than the US. When I did my conversion it took me 8 months so good luck. It's a pain in the a$$.

VF

Massachello
21st Jun 2010, 13:06
8 months!! OMG!

You spent 8 months waiting for a checkpilot? What happened?

TOFFAIR
21st Jun 2010, 17:19
What kind of license are you trying to convert? PPL, CPL or ATP? what kind of flying experience do you have and what do you wanna do? fly private or revenue? Btw, are you Brazilian? Did you attend school abroad?
All those are factors possibly contributing to extend the time for the convertion..
I recomend you to go to Rio to the Cemal to get your medical, as it is the most complete AMC and the most expedite in Brazil.
For the learning you can download the ICA-100-12/11 from the ANAC site, its about what you need to know...
For revenue flights the knowledge of the IACs and ISs, as well as AIP-Brazil are to be recomended, could also be asked in the checkride.
regards!

Massachello
21st Jun 2010, 17:41
I Will be converting Multi Engine Commercial. I'm a Brazilian citizen but all my education has been in the US. Grade school through college, I graduate college in May. I'm fluent in Portuguese I lived in Brasil until I was 10 and still speak frequently.

My goal is to fly professionally. I know its going to be a long tough road to get there but I think there is a better long term growth potential in Brasil in the long run. I just hope the airports there grow too!

I appreciate the help guys I will be in Brasil in December for 1 month it looks like I prob wont be able to go on my checkride then, but at least I can get the medical exam done and shoot for the checkride may of next year!

Autothrust05
21st Jun 2010, 21:14
Massachelo,

The conversion is quite easy but the bureaucracy sucks big time!
I started the process last year in September at GER4 (São Paulo), BIG MISTAKE!
Those bastards lost my process and it was only found because I paid a despachante to run after those lazy @ssholes.
After transferring the process to Curitiba, things seemed to work out until the moment Aeroclube do Parana sent the a/c to maintenance. After all, I had the chance to make 1 flight and head back to Europe.
When I finally got the authorization for the check ride I learned that the a/c suffered an incident and would be out of service for months. More money spent and finally got the chance to have the check ride with an examiner from Aerocon.

I would suggest you to go to Aerocon (Bacacheri), although it is a Seneca I, it was much nicer to fly and had a nice intercom instead of hearing the unreadable messages throughout the speaker.

My license arrived by mail 2 weeks ago. Its a long journey but in these times, I believe it's worth it.

all the best!

Massachello
21st Jun 2010, 23:14
Autothrust,

Thanks for the info my family is from Curitiba! I'm glad things went smoother over there! I will checkout aerocon, I have never flown an airplane without an intercom and don't plan to hehe! I value my hearing!

varigflier
22nd Jun 2010, 04:46
Yes 8 months for everything including getting all the documents translated etc. It is a simple process but they make it hard. I did it in Sao Paulo but this was back in 2004. Today you should stay away from Sao Paulo at all costs.

Good luck,
VF

golfo34
22nd Jun 2010, 18:27
Hello guys!

Anyone know the procces to start the conversion of a JAA licence? I am not from Brazil but planning to move there. CPL JAA licence Type Rated on 146 and around 1300 hours on jet.
Thanks for the help

Autothrust05
22nd Jun 2010, 19:23
Are you Brazilian?

TOFFAIR
22nd Jun 2010, 20:26
I dont know any Bae operators in Brazil, there are some in Bolivia and Peru though... anyway, conversion of your CPL will leave you only with the hours you would obtain to get the CPL in BR, so if you planing to get your 1600 hours counted for by ANAC you need to get the EASA authority of the country you flew send a writen report of this hours directly to ANAC :ugh: or else they will not consider it. Do you have an idea where to fly here? Airlines would require you to be Brazilian or at least naturalized, Biz aviation you definitely need someone as a Godfather to get you in!!

golfo34
22nd Jun 2010, 20:46
Thanks Toffair!
Very interesting information. I have absolutly no idea were to start flying there. I contacted Azul as I think is a very fast growing airline and they told me they hire foreing pilots as well, that was my hope.
My girlfriend is Brazilian so maybe that would help?

TOFFAIR
22nd Jun 2010, 21:08
They hire foreigners, but without the ANAC license you wouldnt be even considered to a recruitment! The other thing is Portuguese fluency is a must! A gf may be handy on that:ok:
And think about: there are still few companies here compared to the EU... so keep a B plan in mind or at least count on a time to get something started!
And if you live abroad, they might call you in in a time frame shorter then a week!

GBV
22nd Jun 2010, 21:53
Azul doesn't hire expat pilots, at least i never heard about it. As for license conversion, i converted my license from Yugoslavia in 2002 at SERAC 6 and it took me two weeks, but i finished my high school in Brazil, so i didn't have any issues translating documents. Just had to take the Air Law/Regulations written test and checkride, that's it...

alemaobaiano
23rd Jun 2010, 11:35
AZUL doesn't hire expats, only Brazilians, by birth or naturalized.

I think this idea started when AZUL was being set up. Initially they had staff seconded from Jet Blue to get things going, which would be permitted under the regulations here, but once the situation stabilised everything went back to normal. The US staff have all returned home now that Brazilians are capable of performing the tasks.

TTFN

pa0507
23rd Jun 2010, 14:02
Hi,

I am Brazilian and have been living in europe for the past 10 years and I wish to convert my JAA fATPL licence too.

Can you give me any help please?
Did you go to ANAC personally or did you start the processo by e-mail.

Do I have to contact a school for the conversion or ANAC directly?

Where can I purchase the books to study for the exam?

Thanks for you help

zedoscarro
23rd Jun 2010, 18:11
My process took me almost 5 months, with 2 trips to Brazil.
If you can allow yourself staying for the whole process, then in about 2 months you should get it done (if wx is good as well)

zedoscarro
23rd Jun 2010, 18:14
@pa0507

Did you go to ANAC personally or did you start the processo by e-mail.
ANAC personally

Do I have to contact a school for the conversion or ANAC directly?
ANAC directly first, then a school for the 2 flights

Where can I purchase the books to study for the exam?
Any flying school

Massachello
23rd Jun 2010, 18:35
I ordered my books from Bianch.com.br while I was down there. They sent it through SEDEX and I got it right away.