PDA

View Full Version : Basic Gas Turbine Theory reading meterial

liasis35
20th Jun 2010, 01:50
Hey guys this is my first post on here, I am currently studying my Diploma in Aviation in New Zealand and so far is going perfect. I have decided to take on some extra work and self study towards the Basic gas turbine exam done through ASL, I was wondering if anyone has any good advice on the proper reading material for the exam, all i seem to have found so far is related to the states. Thanks in advance for the advice

Captain Nomad
20th Jun 2010, 01:55
'Aircraft Gas Turbine Powerplants' by Jeppesen - one of the best covering the theory aspects and also one of the main reference books for the NZ BGT. 'The Jet Engine' by Rolls Royce is also a colourful book with lots of illustrations and explains some things from a different angle but is not as in-depth. Those two books and a copy of the list of topics covered in the exam would be an excellent place to start.

liasis35
20th Jun 2010, 02:00
Thank you very much for your quick reply!! I will look into these books you have suggested.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
20th Jun 2010, 09:10
The Turbine Pilots' Flight Manual.

CR-ROM included with some good lessons.

FRQ CB

Biggles78
20th Jun 2010, 15:18
You could also Google Basic Gas Turbine Knowledge by Mark Woodhouse. Written by a NZ pilot but it may not go as deep as you want.

notaplanegeek
22nd Jun 2010, 07:57
PM me your email and I will send you some stuff

mar1234
23rd Jan 2011, 02:11
Hi notaplanegeek, could you pm me your stuff aswell..
regards
mark

henry crun
23rd Jan 2011, 02:35
Gas Turbine Performance by P.P.Walsh & P.Fletcher has comprehensive coverage of the subject.

RadioSaigon
23rd Jan 2011, 02:36
Does anyone still have access to the old Bob Guard BGT notes? It's been so long since I even thought about those I no longer have any idea if I've given them away or where to start looking for them if I haven't! They were really good -especially as Bob wrote the ASL BGT exam in those days! He was an interesting character too... either pilot or co- on the SafeAir flight that witnessed strange happenings along the Kaikoura coast many years ago.

fatalbert1
23rd Jan 2011, 03:23
Possibly a stupid question, but is conducting a BGT course compulsory before doing an endorsement on a turboprop aircraft? If so, who offers these courses?

Hasherucf
23rd Jan 2011, 07:01
I like Oxfords Gas Turbines Computer based training dvd

OATmedia Products (http://www.oatmedia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GAST)

Lots of videos and diagrams make it easy to understand

notaplanegeek
24th Jan 2011, 02:03
Possibly a stupid question, but is conducting a BGT course compulsory before doing an endorsement on a turboprop aircraft? If so, who offers these courses?

Depends where you are on Earth? In New Zealand yes, In Australia no.

rburnsco
15th Feb 2016, 08:58
i may be late to the party but would LOVE any notes i can get please!

email: [email protected]

either way thank you

Left 270
16th Feb 2016, 00:03
Rolls Royce the jet engine, I found it great, available free online just have a Google.