PDA

View Full Version : Bristol GS quest.

B767PL
17th Jun 2010, 15:11
Anybody currently using the Bristol GS know the difference between this version 2 and 3 we have to choose from?

Are the Bristol notes utilizing CQB 14 or 15??

Thanks for any info. :ok:

Alex Whittingham
17th Jun 2010, 16:06
Hiya,

Version 2 is CQB13, version 3 represents the extra material added in when CQB14 was issued. The UK CAA are using CQB13 with extra questions added in, where appropriate, from CQB14 so, if you're doing the exams in the UK, you should use both. The UK CAA rep says he hasn't even looked at CQB15 yet, although it was issued a couple of months ago, other States will be using it from the late summer. I haven't seen it yet. There are two views about what changes it may contain. One is that it is CQB14 corrected, which would be not before time, the other is that it contains some additional Air Law questions. Either way the changes from CQB14 are unlikely to be vast as the JAA and EASA have had no-one funded to maintain the CQB since just after the issue of CQB14.

BGS notes match the current syllabus, but with the caveat that the insertion of particular phrases or descriptions to match the exact phraseology of CQB14 and 15 questions takes time, this is why most students use the question banks for their final revision.

B767PL
17th Jun 2010, 22:31
Hey thanks for the reply.

A bit confused on the versions, though.

When I open up Bristol it has v2 and v3.

So which CQB is which? V2 is CQB14 and V3 is CQB13? V3 seems to have less questions, and for some of the subject areas seems to be lacking any questions at all.

Hope that is right about CQB15. I too heard it is basically CQB14 just cleaned up a bit. Taken out duplicates, as well as some erroneous questions. Poland just switched over to CQB15 this month, so I hope its nothing more.

Alex Whittingham
18th Jun 2010, 08:04
Doh, sorry. V2 is CQB13, V3 represents CQB14. I'll edit the above

B767PL
18th Jun 2010, 10:19
I see.

Ok so to clear this up, CQB14 is the same as CQB13, except with extra question added in, which are present in Bristol v3?

So basically studying v2 and v3 I am studying for CQB14 yes?

Of course keeping my fingers crossed CQB15 is just a correction of CQB14.

Alex Whittingham
18th Jun 2010, 12:39
Yes, that's it. V2 is CQB13 and V3 represents the extra questions added in with the issue of CQB14. In some subjects (Flight Planning for instance) you'll find very few questions in V3 because very few were added in. So study both and you'll be at CQB14 standard.

One9iner
18th Jun 2010, 16:56
Not clued up to the CQxx codes which you chaps are using; but from my experience, having taken ATPL's recently, you can't predict how many V3 questions will be used.

I was lucky, and had very few V3 questions in POF AGK & MET, where as others on my course who took their exams a month earlier had loads of V3. The "rumour" is that the CAA have cut back on putting V3 questions in the exams. There is a new syllabus starting soon; the CAA claim it's about to come in, but they've been saying that for a while. Apparently there's a chap at the CAA who is in control of the syllabus/part of the team, and he's retiring by Sept 2010 - that's when the new syllabus may come in.

It's all a guessing game. I say revise V3, and hope for the best.

edit - a few spelling mistakes. England are on the TV. excuse me.

Jerry Lee
29th Aug 2010, 21:20
Does Bristol GS offer full time course in class room?

B767PL
8th Sep 2010, 10:20
Any idea when Bristol will be updating to (at least some) of the new questions contained in CQB15??

I heard questions, specifically in Radio Nav, and General Nav are very different to what is found in the QBs! From friends who have taken them, they say only about 40-50% is covered by Bristol, or AE or the likes. Many are failing due to a lot of trick questions and such. At least in my JAA country.