PDA

View Full Version : Americans flying in Peru?

EastCoastFlyer
16th Jun 2010, 19:24
Hi - Sorry for the double post - I put this in another section, not realizing there is a seperate Latin American section.

I have some questions about flying in Peru.

First, is it possible for an American with low hours (650 TT/140ME with instrument/multi instructor ratings) to land any meaningful pilot employment in Peru? I have a Peruvian connection (my wife a Peruvian national), and we would love to re-locate to Lima. I am working on my Spanish fluency (getting there, close).

Second, if it is possible, I read on this website you have to apply for Peruvian pilot's licenses/medical/etc. Is this time consuming/difficult?

Third, are the airlines in Peru - Star Peru, Lan Peru, Taca Peru - considered major airlines and difficult to get hired by?

Finally, if the first and second points are possible - is this an exercise in futility at my age (36)?

Thanks for any input.

cosmiccomet
16th Jun 2010, 23:16
Just in case...in the South we are also AMERICANS...:cool:

In most of the South American countries for having a Commercial Pilot License first you should have a residency/working permit.

So it would be good if you get in touch with the Peruvian DGAC,
their website is,
MTC - DGAC: Inicio (http://www.mtc.gob.pe/portal/transportes/aereo/aeronauticacivil/contenido.htm)

Most of the Peruvian Aviation regulations are just a copy and paste of the FARs. The written exams (Commercial/IR/ME/ATPL,etc) are taken in the same way than the FAA and you can study from the same books.

About getting a job it would depend on the pilots demand at the moment you have the working permit/residency and license.
At this moment they are hiring only local FOs but having a Peruvian wife would help a lot.

If you are interested just start the inmigration process and get the Peruvian CPL IR ME license.

EastCoastFlyer
18th Jun 2010, 20:44
cosmiccomet (http://www.pprune.org/members/211256-cosmiccomet) - Thank you for your thoughts, and I stand corrected, my post should've said "North Americans" or USA or something like that.

2 more questions if you have a minute - are there schools in Peru that can do this on a full time accelerated basis for people with prior flying experience?

Also, assuming this can all be done, is it possible to get on with a good Peruvian carrier, such as Lan Peru or Taca Peru? Or is it like trying to get on with a major in the USA, where you have to fly for the regional airlines first for several thousand hours.

cosmiccomet
21st Jun 2010, 21:44
For your first question, i don't have any idea about flying schools in Peru.
For what i have read there are some flying schools but I don't know about the level or quality of them.

For the second, LAN Peru/TACA are hiring local FO with only CPL IR and sometimes without ME so if you have the Peruvian License/working permit, i guess that those companies are going to take your cv.