PDA

View Full Version : Any advice appreciated- kind of lost!

bluderer
16th Jun 2010, 19:23
First off, let me explain my situation.

I am a division 1 baseball player from the east coast, and so far thought my first 2 years of college (I am soon to be 21) I have not yet realized what I want to do with my life. I went from premed to a psychology/special education major, but I know it is not what I WANT to do in life.

My passion has always been flying/airplanes, and I guess my big question is whether or not I would be able to eventually have my dream opportunity as a pilot, or whether it is too late.

Is there any way to do the training after college while having a job to pay for it?

Any help is appreciated!

SpringHeeledJack
16th Jun 2010, 20:27
Well at 21, you're certainly not too old ;) The world of aviation is uncertain and tends to go in waves of hiring and then firing in general relation to the economy, at least the airlines. However in the last 10 years there has been a definite tendency in the US where the majors have been sub-ing out their internal routes to regional carriers flying the thinner routes in smaller aircraft and anecdotal evidence would suggest that many of the non-captains are on the bread line or close to it.

On the contrary, most medical and law professionals seem to be (after paying their dues) earning substantial salaries. If you are a talented baseball player, is there realistic room for you to develop into a major league team member ? They seem to do alright on the money front as well. You could still fly in your spare time as a pleasure if you're earning, but in truth if your heart isn't in any of the above professions, then no amount of years of study and sacrifice will make up for the feeling that you're living someone elses dreams. You could ask better placed individuals on the wannabee forums within pprune for a view from the coalface.

"Times, they are a changing" to quote Bob Dylan and it's hard to make a decision at your age that could well affect the rest of your working life when who knows how things will be (pilot demand) in 5 years, let alone in 20 years, so it's best to see what you're good at and how that might guide your choices. Flying is a passion and for those who have chosen it's path there is but one choice. Best of luck.

SHJ